Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Timing Belt Kit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 11:54 AM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing Belt Kit Advice

I currently have 108K miles on a 2007 Rx400h and was wondering what I should change while having the timing belt replaced. I'm inclined to have the water pump, gaskets, idler pulley, tensioners, thermostat, and coolant changed, so I found a kit on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370799217514

It comes with all of the above (less coolant), and in addition includes the following: cam and crank seals, power steering belt, and A/C alternator belt.

My question is, do I need a power steering belt and/or A/C alternator belt? Aside from the alternator, I thought the Rx400h used an electric power steering and A/C system. Please let me know.
Old 04-22-14, 12:53 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only belt on the 400h is the timing belt as far as I know. That kit is for an RX330.
Old 04-22-14, 02:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Agreed. If it does not specifically state it is for your RX400h it would be best to check with the vendor or search otherwise to ensure proper fitment. Even the ones from the company for the RX400h only indicate they work with the 2006 model year. Their toll-free number is on their main eBay page:

http://stores.ebay.com/TOYOLEX-PARTS...p2047675.l2568

The Sewell web site seems to indicate that they parts kit for at least the timing belt and water pump are the same for both the RX330 and RX400h. The rest is perhaps a research job for yourself on the Sewell web site:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/4638.html
Old 04-22-14, 06:06 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Just wanted to add that alchemist has reported after doing a timing belt and water pump on his RX330 that the seals and thermostat were probably not needed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...combo-kit.html
Old 04-22-14, 08:18 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I will look on the Sewell site to see which belts are available. I contacted the seller on eBay and he said it would fit the 2007 Rx400h. I'll check and see if he will put together a kit for my needs. I really don't want unneeded extra parts in my garage.
Old 04-22-14, 11:25 PM
maximizese
Rookie

Originally Posted by maseace
The only belt on the 400h is the timing belt as far as I know. That kit is for an RX330.
Other than the seat belts, I believe you are correct. According to wikipedia:

"The water pump for the gasoline engine is driven by the camshaft belt. To improve efficiency, and because the gasoline engine shuts down during electric-only operation,[47] the alternator, power steering pump, and air conditioner compressor are beltless; rather than being tied to engine output,[47] these components are powered by electric motors via the battery instead"

So I'll look to buy a timing belt, tensioners, idlers, water pump, and thermostat...no need for seals, and definitely no need for power steering or A/C belts.
Old 04-23-14, 01:38 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maximizese
Other than the seat belts, I believe you are correct.
What about the belts inside the tape player?
Old 04-23-14, 08:10 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

or the steel belts in the tires
Old 04-24-14, 07:56 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I changed my timing belt a few months ago at 100k. I wish I had waited until 125k miles. It looked new. Water pump also looked new so I left it alone. I recommend you look at the bottom of the water pump for pink seepage. You can see it from the pass side wheel well. If there is none there leave it alone.
Old 07-15-14, 10:07 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Did you guys ever get this resolved? How many belts does RX400h have?
Why does the RX400h service manual say to replace timing belt at 90K and not water pump?
Isn't the water pump electric (not belt driven) thus a longer service interval
Old 07-15-14, 09:40 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I personally have changed the timing belt, and that is the only belt in the RX400h....Everything else is electric. the water pump and on the gas engine is still driven by the timing belt. The inverter has its only cooling system with an electric pump. There are two water pumps on the RX400h. I changed mine but it was not leaking....at 100k miles.
Old 07-16-14, 06:40 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Thomas;

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 more questions:

1. Why does the 2006 service manual only tell you to change the timing belt on not the water pump?
2. How difficult was it to change the timing belt yourself?
Old 07-16-14, 07:39 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by prowler97
Thomas;

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 more questions:

1. Why does the 2006 service manual only tell you to change the timing belt on not the water pump?
2. How difficult was it to change the timing belt yourself?
1. The water pump, tensioner and idler pulleys can last 200k miles. The timing belt probably will not.

2. It took me 4 hours to do the timing belt only. The crank bolt is tightened to 300 ft/lbs and you need to keep the crank from spinning to remove it. That alone was the hardest part of the job.
Old 07-16-14, 10:14 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I made a tool for holding the crankshaft bolt pulley and it came right off. As for water pump that is a personal insurance thing. If it fails after you change the belt the new belt can be ruined. Please Note that on mine there was no sign of leakage, however one of the idler bearings was not as smooth as the new ones. As for changing it yourself the worst part was keeping the rear camshaft in position. I had to walk away and take a break after a hour of frustration, when I came back it stayed where it should be.
Old 07-17-14, 04:05 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thomas1
I made a tool for holding the crankshaft bolt pulley and it came right off. As for water pump that is a personal insurance thing. If it fails after you change the belt the new belt can be ruined. Please Note that on mine there was no sign of leakage, however one of the idler bearings was not as smooth as the new ones. As for changing it yourself the worst part was keeping the rear camshaft in position. I had to walk away and take a break after a hour of frustration, when I came back it stayed where it should be.
I made the tool but my bolt was still crazy tight. My impact wrench would not get it loose. I was on my back pushing on an 18" breaker bar with my feet! To hold the camshafts in place use alligator paper clips on top of each mark. That way when they do rotate, the belt won't skip and need to be re synced. 2 clips on each cam pulley would have made the job even easier. I did not remove the windshield cowl and was lining up the back cam marks with a mirror .

Also, IIRC to make thinks less likely to move, everything is rotated 90 degrees past TDC. Doing this without the marks on the factory belt would be difficult.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Kit Advice