Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

450h AWD in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 12:47 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

getting off topic ,,, I are grew up with a diesel car. That thing had too much low end torque and driving off in 2nd was never a problem and with clutch wear, I could even start off in 3rd.

The Auto trans just does not give you the needed options.

My wife' GS400 usually starts of in 2nd [auto tran] ... once in a while after a good warm up and on an upward incline, it does decide to start off in the 1st.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-23-17 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-22-17, 01:26 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Simply real AWD has all 4 wheels independently vectored. Rear axle should have two motors for that. Acura MDX hybrid interestingly has two motors. Toyota/Lexus is very conservative implementing evolving technology. Nowadays most everything is done by software(firmware) control using fuzzy logic, AI logic rather than hardware. We have to keep up with technology. One reason why Toyota/Lexus is reliable(?)
I did not have looked at Audi, Porsche, BMW hybrid AWD. Few miles from highway to my cabin has rough road. One thing I feel is RXh rear end is too light. Feels like rear wheels are trying to float in deep snow.

Really it comes down to driver should understand fully what kind of vehicle (s)he drives tackling all terrains. Many are vehicle operators vs. drivers. Everything in life has a limit.
I was hoping that you had some real-world experience with the various systems in snow to share.

I am familiar with the various designs, but have only owned Ford 150, Dodge Ram, and the AWD RXh while in my present home in rural Michigan. The closest road from my driveway leading away from our lake home is very difficult to ascend if/when it is polished snow (or worse - ice); and the RXh is much better at it in AWD than the Ram is in 4X4.

I'd entertain a discussion as to why the AWD RX’s individual-wheel control is superior to transfer-case-gear-locked 4WD from an engineering/Safety/driving perspective; but it sounded like you had something to share with the group about the RXh’s snow capability (or lack thereof?).

In my experience - noteably the slippery grade at my residence - the combination of electric control and individual wheel position brake-controlled traction in my RX is superior the Dodge’s 4x4 ON THE STREET.

Now, if I wanted OFF-road prowess, I’d ask to borrow my buddy’s 4 x 4 Pinzgauer.
Old 12-18-17, 07:05 PM
salimshah

Nate:

What is the weight distribution front to back on your Dodge Ram?

My son's friend gave us a visit in his raptor on a nice dry day. Our driveway is not very steep but it is curved and the trick is to keep the vehicle moving. Raptor left skid marks at every place the young driver decided to stop.

4x4 means the engine gives power to 4 wheels, but traction is another story.

Salim
Old 12-18-17, 07:26 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Nate:

My son's friend gave us a visit in his raptor on a nice dry day. Our driveway is not very steep but it is curved and the trick is to keep the vehicle moving. Raptor left skid marks at every place the young driver decided to stop.

4x4 means the engine gives power to 4 wheels, but traction is another story.

Salim
Salim,

4x4 implies there is no center differential, which means front and rear wheels will be fighting opposite forces as the vehicle drives on a curve.
The more locked the system is, the more rubber it will leave behind, as something has to give to compensate for different rotational speed.
These typically do not want to turn and are good for moving in a a straight line.
Old 12-18-17, 09:22 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Salim,

4x4 implies there is no center differential, which means front and rear wheels will be fighting opposite forces as the vehicle drives on a curve.
The more locked the system is, the more rubber it will leave behind, as something has to give to compensate for different rotational speed.
These typically do not want to turn and are good for moving in a a straight line.
Since I only saw a pair of tread marks, raptor would most likely be 4x2 mode. Since he was not hauling anything with most weight on the front, the traction from the rear was breaking. I w3ill try to confirm with the driver in next few days.

Salim
Old 12-19-17, 02:22 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Since I only saw a pair of tread marks, raptor would most likely be 4x2 mode. Since he was not hauling anything with most weight on the front, the traction from the rear was breaking. I w3ill try to confirm with the driver in next few days.

Salim
RWD in the snow is not the best setup, LOL. Most fun, but not for long haul.
Even at 50/50 weight distribution, it still takes more than double amount of traction in the back to get the front wheels to drive over snow.
Old 12-21-17, 04:12 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Nate:

Salim
About the same as any other gas 318 cu in short cab with 50# of junk in the long bed.