Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Deer whistle- where to install on rx450h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 09:14 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deer whistle- where to install on rx450h?

My vacation house is in the sierras, heavily populated by deer. I always install deer deterrent whistles on my vehicles. I don't see a good spot to install them on my new rx. Anyone using them and where did you install them? Ha, maybe this very sophisticated vehicle has an app for deterring deer, lol.
Old 11-13-13, 01:34 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

No app, last week I used the "slam on the brakes and scream like a school girl" method. The method that is supposed to work, is my wife saying, "deer dear", in a fairly authoritative and urgent voice.

I've always seen them on top of the front bumpers so you don't catch them on your leg, but I wonder if they would still work on the roof just inside of the roof rails. I suppose you want the sound as close to the front of the car as possible.
Old 11-13-13, 05:17 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My parents who lived in Bishop (in the Eastern Sierra for people not familiar with the geography) for many years kept the little plastic do-hitchies attached to the front bumper of their Bronco. Right or wrong, the locals told my dad after they moved up there it was important to have them in the general height of the deer themselves, so front bumpers were about the only place you could locate them.
Old 11-13-13, 07:12 AM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Bumper is where I installed them on other vehicles. I guess the black trimmed bumper on the 450 threw me off. That may work. Thanks.
Old 11-18-13, 11:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

IMHO, as far away from an RX450h as possible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_horn
Scientific studies of these devices have indicated that they do not in fact reduce collisions.
Old 11-18-13, 09:17 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
IMHO, as far away from an RX450h as possible.
Deer horn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yep, I've read a few of the studies. I've used them in several vehicles. I have never hit a deer. If they work 1% of the time, for $5 it's worth it IMO. A friend of mine with a house in the same area has hit at least one deer annually, and he cites the literature regarding how ineffective they are, so he does not use them. For $5, why not?
Old 11-20-13, 06:25 PM
2010morx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say if it gives you piece of mind install them on your bumper. I have driven Mo. back roads to work for the last 27 years. The best defence is knowing their patterns and the peak times they are active. They are active at dawn and moving from fields to the wooded areas. About an hour after dark they are very active moving to find food. Keep you high beams on as much as possible and be alert. If possible drive during daylight hours.
Old 11-21-13, 08:06 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have never used them or had any knowledge of them before this thread. But based off that Wiki informaiton, seems logically to be a waste of time, energy and a couple of pennies.

But if getting 'piece of mind' means relying on something that doesn't seem to work and cause you to be less diligent as a result; would seem to be a bad mix and cause more harm than good. Just my humble opinion.

Wiki page makes absolute sense as to why they would not work.
Old 11-21-13, 08:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

About the only way to solve the problem is culling the herd. It's something they do by me, also to satisfy the zealots who believe they are the primary cause of Lyme disease. I encounter them daily during my commute and have to say most stay on the side of the roads. Still I exercise caution at all times. Some spots are notoriously worse than others. My biggest problem lately has been the suicidal squirrels
Old 11-21-13, 10:40 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
...My biggest problem lately has been the suicidal squirrels

If you think suicidal squirrels and CARS are a problem, try hitting one on a BICYCLE going 15+MPH, which I've done 2-3 times this past year! Scary!

Forget Hitchcock's BIRDS... I think the squirrel over-population is going to do us in!

I use my handlebar bell to try getting their attention, but more times than not, they just stand there and freeze, leaving me guessing which way they'll turn!

As the old adage goes... "Cars don't kill squirrels, indecision does!"
Old 11-21-13, 03:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I approve of 'culling' the herd. Venison is an excellent meat, they eat only what is naturally grown on this earth, no fillers and such and heart good. And also good as a roast, small steak, excellent sausage, and ground venison can make a bowl of chili get the Blue Ribbon .

Some squirrels are fun to hunt as well, 'specially if they're big enough to roast .
Originally Posted by kitlz
About the only way to solve the problem is culling the herd. It's something they do by me, also to satisfy the zealots who believe they are the primary cause of Lyme disease. I encounter them daily during my commute and have to say most stay on the side of the roads. Still I exercise caution at all times. Some spots are notoriously worse than others. My biggest problem lately has been the suicidal squirrels
Attached Thumbnails Deer whistle- where to install on rx450h?-squirrel-hunter.jpg