Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Dealer wants $8K to replace hybrid battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 11:39 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Have you guys ever thought about opening your batteries and testing each cell and replacing just the dead cell? They do for the prius and only cost them $37 bucks a cell vs replacing the whole unit.

Prius Battery Repair - YouTube
did not know this, thx for posting
Old 12-09-13, 08:04 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing JUST happened to me two weeks ago.

I got the dreaded "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" light on the dash. Brought the car in, they diagnosed it the next day and called me. Advisor said it was the hybrid battery and that it would cost $7,000. I was already watching my **** Michigan team give the game to Iowa in the 4th quarter so I was already laughing at how comical it was. When I got this call and she told me the price, I laughed even more and said alright, well, it's under warranty so go ahead and replace it.

My car had 110,000 miles at the time and the advisor told me no, it wasn't under warranty. I explained to her that the previous GM was a good friend of mine and he extended the warranty for me to July 2014 and/or 150,000 miles and I had the email to prove it. After a few minutes of her hitting a keyboard, she says yeah, i see the extension but it doesn't apply to anything over 100,000 miles. She then tells me that Lexus will probably show some goodwill and pay half. I said I'm not paying $3500. I then thought, why am I talking to her?

Called the new GM, explained everything, basically got the same response. They had given me a 2014 RX as a loaner so I was perfectly happy to drive that until we came to some kind of understanding here. Towards the end of the conversation, I just planted a little seed and told the GM look, nobody wants this to get ugly, I really don't want to have to sue Lexus over this issue, let's just work this out so everybody is happy. This was a Saturday. He said he'd get back to me on Monday.

Monday afternoon, the GM calls and says Lexus is covering the battery but that I need new spark plugs and the cost is $432. I knew I could probably get it done for half that price elsewhere, but since they were covering the battery I said fine.

SO...moral of the story to fellow hybrid owners - if your battery goes out, be persistent (but nice) in getting Lexus to cover it, bc in all likelihood, they will.
Old 12-09-13, 10:31 PM
PatronCris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me at same time roughly 2 weeks ago, lexus told me that they "Happily decline to Warranty" my GS450H with 117k............ Screw you lexus
Old 12-10-13, 08:26 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by PatronCris
It happened to me at same time roughly 2 weeks ago, lexus told me that they "Happily decline to Warranty" my GS450H with 117k............ Screw you lexus
Its 17k miles out of warranty?

Are you the original or even the second owner? Did the car have full maintenance records?
Old 12-16-13, 01:56 PM
PatronCris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neurocity
Its 17k miles out of warranty? Are you the original or even the second owner? Did the car have full maintenance records?
full service records, I am third owner but purchased car at 66k and even paid for the extended warranty up to 100k bumper to bumper
Old 12-28-13, 05:48 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by PatronCris
full service records, I am third owner but purchased car at 66k and even paid for the extended warranty up to 100k bumper to bumper
Being the third owner removes you from Toyota all together. You bought the car from a dealer...not Toyota. Toyota doesn't owe you anything. Extended warranties are 3rd party. 3rd party warranty companies will find anyway they can to not pay for repairs "in" warranty, let alone 17k "out."

If you were a second owner and bought a Certified Used, or Lease Return then you have somewhat of a leg to stand on with a 17k mile out-of-OEM-warranty repair.

What are you doing with the car now? Is it just sitting dead now?
Old 01-01-14, 11:18 AM
LexFather

Lexus offers Goodwill from 100% -50% or even just labor and its their right to offer it or not PAST warranty. I've implored people to develop good relationships with dealers so if something does happen unfortunate after warranty they have a good record and it helps their case.

The FIRST thing they look at are where you purchased and ESPECIALLY your service records with the dealership. If you have things done there it makes it a much easier case for them to approve something.

Dealers get a bad rap but there are also countless customers who spend no money at dealerships, buy a Lexus from some random lot and then expect the same treatment as people who have bought from the dealer and had it serviced at the dealer.

The price is accurate, its a 7-8k job. The battery itself weighs 300lbs and is a major PITA to take out. They like to replace the entire battery as they ship it to their experts who do analysis on battery. This data has helped make the new batteries better.
Old 01-03-14, 01:04 AM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maaannnnn did I luck out with mine-
In mid November I picked up a 2007 450H with 94k on the clock. Before I even went to the dealer that had it for sale I went to my local dealer here in SoCal and had them run the vin number.
The Lexus dealer saw on a report that the car was recently brought into a dealer because of a check hybrid battery light and Lexus could not find an issue.

I think this scared the owner but turned into a huge buying point for me.

I took that info with a price quote of the hybrid battery replacement cost to the selling dealer and got a great deal on my car.

With in 2 weeks the check hybrid battery light came on twice and on the 3rd week it totally died.

Had a brand new hybrid battery installed all free of charge, covered under the warranty.

I really lucked out with the mileage and what a difference that new battery makes.

I'm getting 29 to 28 MPG in mixed driving and man is this thing FAST!!!

On a side note- the dealer that replaced the battery also found a "major oil leak that will eat away at my seals, hoses and motor mounts"
I noticed it to when I was looking at the car. It was nothing major just build up around a tube near the front of the motor after 94k of driving. I grabbed some Simple Green mixed with hot/warm water sprayed it all down. After putting over 2 thousand miles on the beast not a drop of oil anywhere.
So yeah the dealer will find things wrong to try get some money out of you because from what I understand warranty work does not pay the dealer their full labor rate.

Good luck and thank you to all that contribute to the forums. There is so much valuable info on here.
Old 04-27-15, 08:22 AM
evolvedgs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for you guys!?

Thinking of purchasing a 2007 gs450h with 144,530 miles from a franchise dealer. The car was a trade in.

First thing I asked dealer is if the battery has been replaced and he said yes and that it cost the dealer $1,100 to replace instead of the $5-6K it usually does consumers. He says he has receipt from Lexus showing the battery has been replaced.

What do you guys think? Should I pursue? He asking $13,000 (but of course thats before negotiated price). What should I realistically look to get the car for?
Old 04-28-15, 07:00 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by evolvedgs
Thinking of purchasing a 2007 gs450h with 144,530 miles from a franchise dealer. The car was a trade in.

First thing I asked dealer is if the battery has been replaced and he said yes and that it cost the dealer $1,100 to replace instead of the $5-6K it usually does consumers. He says he has receipt from Lexus showing the battery has been replaced.

What do you guys think? Should I pursue? He asking $13,000 (but of course thats before negotiated price). What should I realistically look to get the car for?
Battery was changed at what mileage?
Old 05-26-15, 10:33 AM
brainsurge
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Please be aware that also the 12V battery is a standard part, oem comes from panasonic and it has a temperature sensor glued with some sort of rtv on it. if you cut that off and glue it on the battery, you just saved yourself around 500$
Old 05-26-15, 10:38 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by evolvedgs

144,000 miles for $13,000? Nope.

Just a quick search found this with 40,000 less miles for $1,600 more(before negotiations).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS-Base-Sedan-4-Door-/361305310631?forcerrptr=true&hash=item541f7985a7&item=361305310631
Old 06-04-15, 08:38 AM
Rexor20
Driver School Candidate

This is why I'm sticking with gas powered as long as its a reasonable option.
Old 06-05-15, 10:26 AM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickTee
144,000 miles for $13,000? Nope.

Just a quick search found this with 40,000 less miles for $1,600 more(before negotiations).
Lexus GS Base Sedan 4 Door | eBay
It annoys me when the call it "Base" sedan.There's nothing 'base' about even the most stripped GS.
Old 06-07-15, 06:02 PM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i want to see a write up on how the cell replacement works in lexus.
i watched the prius replcement and a friend has done that
they just bought a battery from parts wrecker and tested/used good cells and put in to the prius
worked perfect and cost him $50

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $8K to replace hybrid battery