Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Down to these 3 450h choices. Advice wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 06:01 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down to these 3 450h choices. Advice wanted!

Decided to trade in my 2012 Tahoe LTZ which gets a stellar 13.2 mpg for us since we bought it new. So I've found 3 450h's I am very interested in buying. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#1: 2010 blk/blk, one owner, sold and serviced from same dealer, lease return 39,750m: $39,950
#2: 2011 blk/tan, one owner sold and serviced from same dealer lease return 39,740m: $39,000
#3 2010 blk/blk bought from auction will arrive at dealer on Wednesday, 37K miles: $37,750

All will be CPO with new tires, etc. Don't have a strong interior color preference but the 2011 is a year newer yet has the most miles/yr.

Thoughts??
Old 09-23-13, 07:48 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaNile
Decided to trade in my 2012 Tahoe LTZ which gets a stellar 13.2 mpg for us since we bought it new. So I've found 3 450h's I am very interested in buying. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#1: 2010 blk/blk, one owner, sold and serviced from same dealer, lease return 39,750m: $39,950
#2: 2011 blk/tan, one owner sold and serviced from same dealer lease return 39,740m: $39,000
#3 2010 blk/blk bought from auction will arrive at dealer on Wednesday, 37K miles: $37,750

All will be CPO with new tires, etc. Don't have a strong interior color preference but the 2011 is a year newer yet has the most miles/yr.

Thoughts??
Go with 2011. When the time comes for a trade in, or reselling the RX, you'll be glad you took the newer model.
Old 09-23-13, 07:54 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

SeaNile, I'd take #3 out since it came from an auction. Are the other two comparably equipped and in similar condition? The prices are nearly identical so I assume not.
Old 09-23-13, 08:04 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
SeaNile, I'd take #3 out since it came from an auction. Are the other two comparably equipped and in similar condition? The prices are nearly identical so I assume not.
I agree with removing #3, too many unknowns.

1&2 are identical except for 2010 vs 2011. One blk/blk other blk/tan. Identical miles and condition.
I think it's really coming down to the color combo and which my wife likes better. Can't decide on tan or black interior.
Old 09-23-13, 11:16 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no way we can really help with this decision at the level of selecting between two individual cars. Every used car is unique. You need to carefully inspect each car and get a complete list of options. Look at seemingly unimportant things like tires (see tire threads); they can make a big difference on the RX in terms of ride quality.

One thing I can say is that the RX is large enough that there is some work involved in washing and maintaining it. Since all of the cars you selected are black, that is one consideration that I would carefully evaluate. I like the tan interior.
Old 09-24-13, 04:52 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with UCSB. You need to understand options on #1 & #2. I would also rule out #3. Color choices are yours and yours alone to make -- we can't help much with that. I've owned both colors on interior. I would carefully inspect the black exterior on any vehicle I was considering since it appears that is what you want, to understand how much effort it will take YOU to get the finish up to par with your expectations. It is after all, the hardest color to maintain, but can be one of the most gorgeous when perfectly detailed. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-24-13, 06:56 AM
exbauer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are buying them at a Lexus dealer the salesperson should be able to give you a spec sheet with the VIN. That way you know what the MSRP was and the specs on it.
Old 09-24-13, 07:48 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If identically optioned (3 small words but huge potential outcome)

I'd go with #1 for black interior (my preference alone)

Otherwise, I'd chose #2 as there were a couple of minor improvements from 10 to 11, has less miles and resale value.

But those are minor compared to whatever is on the spec sheet from the factory. Tell us which packages 1 and 2 have and this could be an easy decision.
Old 09-24-13, 07:54 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm just curious why you would rule out something that came from an auction since the vehicle will be CPO. It is possible that the previous owner traded into another make and the dealer did not want to deal with a Hybrid. I traded a Pontiac Grand Prix STE on a new Volvo 850 GLT in 1997. The Grand Prix was in excellent shape but the Volvo dealer did not put them on his lot so he sent it to Manheim. It actually ended up at another dealer in my home town!

I live about 15 minutes from the Manheim auction and there are a lot of great vehicles there, including those that get up well over $100k.

If #3 has the options that he wants, is a CPO, and has a clean history, I would certainly consider it.
Old 09-24-13, 08:00 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I'm just curious why you would rule out something that came from an auction since the vehicle will be CPO. It is possible that the previous owner traded into another make and the dealer did not want to deal with a Hybrid. I traded a Pontiac Grand Prix STE on a new Volvo 850 GLT in 1997. The Grand Prix was in excellent shape but the Volvo dealer did not put them on his lot so he sent it to Manheim. It actually ended up at another dealer in my home town!

I live about 15 minutes from the Manheim auction and there are a lot of great vehicles there, including those that get up well over $100k.

If #3 has the options that he wants, is a CPO, and has a clean history, I would certainly consider it.

But how would the purchaser of your vehicle know why it went to auction and was well taken care of prior to?

No one is saying don't ever buy an auction vehicle, but in looking at the three options, and limited warranty remaining, why add in an uncessary unknown. Dealer hasn't even received the vehicle yet to do a full inspection. Just not worth the hassle when two other viable options are present.
Old 09-24-13, 11:09 AM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

The auction vehicle, #3, just arrived at the dealership and I will look at it tonight or tomorrow. Has msrp of 53K, will be CPO, etc. It's the one with the lowest miles, 32,400 and less expensive by $1,000. Clean car fax, sold and serviced from Ray Catena Lexus in Larchmont, NY.
Old 09-24-13, 01:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by wa3cuj

Because dealers use the auction to dump the undesirable cars or ones that are hard to sell. I agree they do have nice cars there. My BIL brought a new Bentley turbo to Manheim after the buyer backed out. Back then it was a difficult vehicle to get rid of. Still in this area there are many dealers to choose from and stock is high. SeaNile can afford to be picky. I would.
Old 09-24-13, 01:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by SeaNile
The auction vehicle, #3, just arrived at the dealership and I will look at it tonight or tomorrow. Has msrp of 53K, will be CPO, etc. It's the one with the lowest miles, 32,400 and less expensive by $1,000. Clean car fax, sold and serviced from Ray Catena Lexus in Larchmont, NY.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-24-13, 03:08 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

What's nice about #3 the auction 450h is the low miles and the fact that it would be purchased from the local dealer to me. Price and mileage is the best out there as well. It does beg the question about the condition. I've always believed the best cars/trades stay on the lot and do not goto auction. I have seen many cars of family and friends that are 100% flawless head right to the auction.

#3 will be ready for me to check out tomorrow at noon. I'll head there in the late afternoon and hopefully make a decision.
Old 09-25-13, 07:21 PM
SeaNile
Driver School Candidate

Or option #4, 2011 20K miles....bought it today.

$41,000 and the best on my trade by $800. Made this 450h only $900 for a year newer and half of the miles of the other options. It was a local suv, leased and serviced from same dealership. Really easy to deal with and I feel like the price was reasonable.

29.7mpg on the way home vs 14.3 in the Tahoe on the way there! Love it so far....

Quick Reply: Down to these 3 450h choices. Advice wanted!