Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

14 LS 450h AWD or Audi Q5 TDI AWD or LS 460 or GS450h??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 03:26 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 LS 450h AWD or Audi Q5 TDI AWD or LS 460 or GS450h??

OK, As you can see below, I'm all over the place. lol

Just sold a 2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography Supercharged V-8. Overall a very nice vehicle, got about 17-18 average mpg. I was having a few aggrevating electronics problems, so I decided to get rid of it and get a 14 RRS, but now while I have been waiing on the 14 RRS, I'm thinking 100 K is too much to spend and great MPG would be nice. I want something less expensive with a good MPG.

I test drove a 13 LS460 and a 13 GS450h. I test drove a Audi SQ5 with supercharged V-6 AWD, nice car too.

My 07 F-250 Lariat Outlaw Crew Cab is getting some mods done at my friends garage and since I sold the RRS, I rented a 13 Ford Fusion to drive until F-250 is ready again. I've had the Ford Fusion for about a month, Decent car.

What I noticed is, I miss being able to see ahead of the cars in front of me, so I think the LS and GS are out as a selection. I like sitting up high and being able to see better.

I'm divorced and a 52 year old single male, lol. Most of the time I see females in an RX?

I think the 14 450h may be the vehicle car for me. Luxury, quiet cabin, decent HP, reliable and Good MPG.
Old 09-19-13, 01:09 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I would opt for GS450h. RX is simply not a driver's car. I call it a couch on wheels.
Of course LS460 would be nice as well. As you can guess, I'm not a fan of SUVs.
They physically can't handle that well. I prefer my IS300 to RX450h, unless the weather gets really bad.
Old 09-19-13, 03:12 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So many variables. You'll get as many opinions as there are people, I'm afraid.

There are other threads on an RX being a woman's car. I won't go there again, but will let you do some searches if that is a real concern of yours. Personally, I've owned 3 RX's continuously since 1999, don't care what others think, but also have used mine for personal, family, and business (customers and occasionally hauling around associates or more senior execs), and have never had one single negative remark.

If you want a driving car (note that word), you don't probably want an SUV, instead go get a sports car or a sedan that can begin to handle like one. If you do primarily highway miles and like to keep the peddle down over 60 most of the time, give close consideration to if a hybrid is what you really want from anyone -- the RXh gets best mileage around town and when you keep it under 65-ish -- MPG sinks rapidly as you push the peddle excessively (there are more threads on MPG if you're interested). The RX will seat you higher as you have as one of your requirements. Look at the 0-60 of an RX350 and RX450h and they are not slouches -- yes, sports cars and some luxury sedans can beat it. So be that. My RX450h will keep up with all but the crazy folks on the road (and they can do their thing without me all they want), and my RXh will get up and go when I want to pass or hit an on-ramp merging into traffic at their speeds without any problem.

Me? Also a single guy that has a few years until he hits 60. I own a home, a retriever, we go to the beach sometimes, I need to do family honey-do's and haul stuff from time-to-time, but like to have a quality ride when I do that. I also have this thing for my toys, and my vehicles have become my 2 best ones. Get where I'm headed?
  • I have an RX450h as what I'd call my daily driver -- works well when my golden retriever is with me, I need to haul a bunch of stuff from the home improvement store, maybe plug my bike carrier onto the trailer hitch, or take the family out for a fancy dinner or up to Disneyland for the day, and is a real joy on road trips if I have to bring anyone else along in all sorts of weather. I don't worry about reliability or if my RX can handle it -- it has and will for me all year round, pretty much no matter where I go on improved roadways.
  • I then have my hard top convertible as my Big Boy Toy. I'm on my 3rd one. It's what I take out to clear my head, just have fun, or whatever. It can't haul a bunch of people or stuff and isn't practical as the RX is. I can't take it if there is going to be lots of ice, snow or something in-between all that sorta weather. ...but it WILL handle and WILL drive and WILL turn with the best of them. My current selection actually has less HP than my RX450h, but is perfect for me because it has the torque I relish -- others can add thousands more and get more horses if that's what turns them on. Horses are not my top priority as they are with some.
...so if you want a luxury general purpose vehicle that handles well for what an SUV is, an RX may work for you. If you want a sedan that can't do the "hauling of stuff" an SUV can, well, you have different options -- some you've started to think about. ...then again, you could do like I have since 1997, and have 2 vehicles -- one that's practical, the other that isn't. My suggestion is you need to make a list of what's REALLY important to you, then prioritize it carefully, then line those priorities up against each of your options... Only you can decide in the end.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-19-13, 09:23 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 14LSSport
OK, As you can see below, I'm all over the place. lol

Just sold a 2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography Supercharged V-8. Overall a very nice vehicle, got about 17-18 average mpg. I was having a few aggrevating electronics problems, so I decided to get rid of it and get a 14 RRS, but now while I have been waiing on the 14 RRS, I'm thinking 100 K is too much to spend and great MPG would be nice. I want something less expensive with a good MPG.

I test drove a 13 LS460 and a 13 GS450h. I test drove a Audi SQ5 with supercharged V-6 AWD, nice car too.

My 07 F-250 Lariat Outlaw Crew Cab is getting some mods done at my friends garage and since I sold the RRS, I rented a 13 Ford Fusion to drive until F-250 is ready again. I've had the Ford Fusion for about a month, Decent car.

What I noticed is, I miss being able to see ahead of the cars in front of me, so I think the LS and GS are out as a selection. I like sitting up high and being able to see better.

I'm divorced and a 52 year old single male, lol. Most of the time I see females in an RX?

I think the 14 450h may be the vehicle car for me. Luxury, quiet cabin, decent HP, reliable and Good MPG.
based on your own words.. it's the Audi Q5.
you're used to an SUV and Big trucks, i don't understand why you're even considering a Sedan.
and what's up with getting a hybrid? you're right. it's all over the place.
NONE of the choices you mentioned can replace the off roadiing capabilities of your RRS. or the towing capacity of your F250.
if you just want... NEED a car that handles well.. get the 2014 Mazda 3.

i still have my Fuji White Range Rover HSE.. and i enjoy driving our 2013 RX 350 FWD.
my daily commuter is a Toyota RAV 4 EV ( i love the torque). i don't have any complaints driving my wife's Toyota Prius HB Four.