Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

New RX400h Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 05:14 PM
james2266
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX400h Owner

Hey fellow Lexus's owners. Just wanted to get my first post out of the way. I figured I would just say hi, give a tiny bit of background and maybe ask a question or two.

First off, hello everyone! This looks to be a very informative, if not a little tough to find things, website. I have already found a few things that were of great use to me and I have just started looking around really.

Just a month ago I was quite happy with our 2010 Toyota Rav4 which we had from new for about 2.5 years. We went to the annual car show in our local city about 2 months or so ago. Got chatting with the guys at Lexus - just chatting really. Well, about a month after that there was an email from them siting they had 2 RX series in the right color interior. The first was a 2010 which was out of our budget still but the other was a 2007 rx400h with the full package (even ML stereo/rear DVD). A week later we were driving it home. What a massive improvement in both ride quality and quietness of ride (even at highway speeds). Very impressed, Went through my first 2 tanks of gas now and very impressed with the mileage thus far as well.

Now to the questions. Well, my absolute largest most expensive favorite hobby happens to be car audio and no not the hammering bass kind either. While the ML setup is probably the best I have heard from a factory setup, it doesn't hold a candle to what I had in the Rav4. I was able to take everything out of the Rav4 before turning it in at the request of the dealership. The Rav4 factory stereo blew - no other way to describe it. Anyways, now I have this pile of sound deadening and car audio components in my basement just begging me to put it into this nice quiet ride. I notice the main failings of this ML stereo is the lack of dynamics; especially on the low end. The imaging and tonality is actually quite good however. First turn off, is I have found that it is going to cost $400+ for the dash kit/wire harness to keep the factory controls working proper. I need my ipod hookup and the maps are way newer on my top end Pioneer nav so that will likely happen soon. Radio is already starting to drive me nuts. Ok, my question here after all that is this. Has anyone taken apart the interior of my vehicle and recorded pictures doing so? I would like to know how the apillar panels come off, sill panels, rear quarter panels, door panels would be of great interest as well. I don't know if I will go so far as to line the floor with mass loaded vinyl and foam again as there really doesn't seem to be much road noise at all really and adding 80 lbs of mass to the vehicle will likely hurt the mileage too greatly. Also, anyone have a suggestion of how/where to pass a 0/1 ga wire through the firewall and into the cabin on the pass. side? I haven't taken all of the many plastic covers off in the engine compartment to scope things out. Also, is the any easy way to get those black clips off and being able to reuse them? I busted two of them just trying to find the damned battery! Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 05-12-13, 05:50 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all James welcome to Club Lexus. I am sure some of this can be answered in this forum and there are many similarities between the gas and hybrid Lexus models. However, this question should be posted in the Hybrid forum where the 400h guys hang out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-187/
Old 05-13-13, 04:25 AM
james2266
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
First of all James welcome to Club Lexus. I am sure some of this can be answered in this forum and there are many similarities between the gas and hybrid Lexus models. However, this question should be posted in the Hybrid forum where the 400h guys hang out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-187/
I didn't even realize that there was a designated area for my 400h. Can a mod move this in this instance or should I just recreate this thread over on that forum?
Old 05-14-13, 11:45 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thread moved....welcome to CL !
Old 05-19-13, 03:08 PM
james2266
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Does anyone have answers to these questions tho? I have looked around on this site and the Lexus Owners site but haven't found too many answers. I especially am interested in how to safely take apart the inside of this vehicle. I tried to take off an apillar panel to see what I have to work with there but they don't seem to come off the same as my old Rav4. The clips don't appear to rotate and release. Anyone have any idea?

Another side I have been looking at and gaining some info is from the Sewall parts website. It is a little hard to interpret the parts diagrams but I think I know a little more than before. It is nice to know what is stupid expensive and what isn't really.

So far, absolutely loving the new ride but would like it to be even more entertaining to drive.
Old 05-20-13, 07:59 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Here is a posting that shows great pictures of removing many of the front panels for a ipod interface...nice writeup with great pictures...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-04-07-rx.html As for the black clips order yourself some, they are not very robust and break easily...Inspect them carefully and learn how they work.....
Old 05-20-13, 08:15 PM
james2266
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Here is a posting that shows great pictures of removing many of the front panels for a ipod interface...nice writeup with great pictures...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-04-07-rx.html As for the black clips order yourself some, they are not very robust and break easily...Inspect them carefully and learn how they work.....
Thanks for that link. I did learn a few things there. I think I know how to get the carpet out of the front now or at least access to underneath it. Do you mind parlaying the info on the black clips? I would really prefer not to break any more of them. I do have a local place that I am told I can get pretty much any clips/fasteners that I would ever dream of so not too worried about breaking them but still would prefer not to break them if there is a trick to it.

One big thing I would love to find out is the best location to get a large power wire (0 guage) through the firewall and into the engine compartment. Oh and I'd also like to know if there are any issues with applying a large draw on the electrical system of this vehicle. I am pretty sure that I read this vehicle has no alternator and the starter battery (which looks pathetic BTW) gets charged directly through the Hybrid system. I expect that would have a hit to gas economy but I am unsure still. Anyone have any experience. The amps I am planning on installing have over 200 amps of fusing on them. I had both connected through a 150 amp fuse on the last vehicle and it never popped however.
Old 05-20-13, 09:31 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The starting battery does nothing other than turn on the computers....It is charged from the Hybrid battery. The engine is actually started through the hybrid battery....That small battery is critical to turning on the hybrid system. As for the clip the trick is too used a very small screwdriver to pop the center button.
Old 05-25-13, 10:13 PM
james2266
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
The starting battery does nothing other than turn on the computers....It is charged from the Hybrid battery. The engine is actually started through the hybrid battery....That small battery is critical to turning on the hybrid system. As for the clip the trick is too used a very small screwdriver to pop the center button.
Thanks for the tip Thomas. I just just actually thinking that driving around today thinking about doing more exploratory surgery on my new ride. So far, I have gotten a door panel off and been able to figure out how most of the pieces link together in the rear cargo area. Still havent a clue as to how to get that damned apillar/windshield panel off yet however. I was very impressed at the inside of the doors. I have not seen that much of an attempt at sound damping from factory before. I will still be doing a tonne more there. I was also very happy to see how those ML speakers attach to the door. Screws and no rivets like the Rav4 - HALLELUJAH! I also think it will be a piece of cake to put in my 8 inch midbass drivers and with likely zero metal cutting and I think I will even be able to use the same holes as the factory speakers for mounting. Very happy camper there. I will try taking out the drivers seat tomorrow to mount my processor and run some wires. I will also take a much closer look at finding a way to get my power wire through the firewall on the pass. side. Wish me luck and if anyone has any tips I would be very appreciative.