Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

2008 400h - short drives enough to charge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 11:44 AM
dembohns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 400h - short drives enough to charge?

Hi! I am new to hybrid technology, and I have what may be a dumb question!

(Oh, and I joined the forums here yesterday because we've been looking at a 2006 RX330 with 78k miles, but while perusing the dealer's site today to check something on the 330, I found a 2008 400h with 48k miles and my eyes lit up!)

I drive about a mile each way every morning to take my daughter to school and then go back and pick her up in the afternoon. I might drive another three or four miles in an average day. Is that enough driving to keep the battery charged? I might drive a 10-mile stretch once a week or so, and rarely do more than that. Is it worth it to buy a hybrid for that kind of short to-and-fro driving?

It's CPO, which is a BIG plus over the 2006 RX330, which would only come with 3 month/3000 mile limited warranty. Of course, it's almost double the price, too... but I can almost justify that with better gas mileage, three years younger (the 400h was bought in March 2009), 30K fewer miles...

But if it's not suited to my type of driving, I'd rather know that right upfront!
Old 04-03-13, 01:26 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not worry about the battery. It will charge as needed. What you should realize is that you will get very poor mileage with that driving pattern you stated but you would also get poor mileage with the 330.. I doubt that the mileage difference would justify the additional cost of the vehicle but you may want to to buy it for other reasons.
Old 04-04-13, 12:11 AM
katzjamr
Driver

go for the 08 400h, you will love the smoother CVT transmission, extra power of the electric, the serenity of the engine off at stoplights, or coasting, or in heavy traffic. Also, your 2008 400h will run with 30% fewer emissions coming out of the tail pipe, longer brake life, no alternator to replace, and I think a more handsome body style than the third generation, certainly better vision out of the windows. I would want the one with the least miles, 30K fewer is a lot, if your budget can handle it. also, what color?
Old 04-04-13, 02:18 AM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With that driving style you should get a fully electric car! Like the Nissan Leaf.
Old 04-04-13, 08:19 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by riwyle
What you should realize is that you will get very poor mileage with that driving pattern you stated but you would also get poor mileage with the 330.
+1 -- you will get poor mileage with any internal combustion engine if driving is mostly short trips and maintenance for such usage will fall under the "severe duty" schedule.

As stated in another reply above, an electric would be ideally suited for the OP's driving style.
Old 06-29-13, 05:40 PM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

question isnt dumb.

heres dumb for ya (my own experience lol)

when i first got in however, i thought the car was dead. I turned the key and didnt hear the engine. Told the dealer that his car was dead, what gives. The dealer next to me said, look at the dash, what does it say. I told him, it says ready. He then said, okay, your good. Now go ahead and drive it

I was like...WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

keep in mind, I informed the guy the car was dead with this attitude like you never seen. So when he showed me that the car was fine, thats when I felt stupid.

Never driven a Hybrid and had no idea how quiet they were. Quite a nice surprise for a car with the power it has.

I would love to hear some of the experiences of people who have never even sat in a hybrid before getting this one
Old 06-30-13, 10:00 AM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My engine needs to run for the first while to get the engine up to operating temp, then will shut off and operate as the hybrid should. Since your only driving such a short distance in the morning you may not be able to get the full benefit of the reason your buying a 400H. As far as charging the battery the system will take care of that and you need not worry. Once the engine is warm, and your in a slower speed driving area, you could get there and back without the engine even running, again once up to temperature. I really like my 400H and have thought of moving up a couple of years to maybe a 2010 or 2012.