Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Just bought an 07 gs450h Glacier Frost Mica - Neiman Marcus #49

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 07:52 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just bought an 07 gs450h Glacier Frost Mica - Neiman Marcus #49

Just drove from Indy to Chicago to pick this one up, replacing my 03 gs300 with 175k. After 3 days of driving, love the car a lot.
My wife has a highlander hybrid SUV so am used to a hybrid car.
Still a little early on my gas mileage since i've been playing around quite a bit - but happy with the constant 27 mpg on highway.

The only thing so far I have found I don't like is there is no headphone jack (I got a tape player adapter but quality is not great), and it's not all-wheel drive (kinda wanted my next car to be awd, but made an exception for this).

The shocks (struts?) seem a little tight as I think I feel the cracks/bumps a little harder - although I read that these came with run-flats which were crap tires in terms of a smooth ride - not sure if I have those yet or not.

I did not get a manual so still trying to figure everything out - would like to override the security so I can add address to GPS while driving, and better understand the "voice commands" and what all I can tell my car to do - I asked her to marry me but that didn't go too well

Also, there looks to be a "button" on my gear shift plate on the top left - anyone know what that is for? Its obviously a missing piece of plastic (anyone know if I can order one), but what I see is a white button, I can push it down but as best I can tell its not doing anything. Here is a picture of that - http://4-photos.ebizautos.com/used-2...302-12-640.jpg

I test drove another 07 g450h here closer to home to get a feel for it before driving to chicago - It wasn't quite as loaded as mine, but did have an automatic rear sun block shade that went up and down - my car does not have this - also I could swear the trunk space in this one is a lot smaller than what I have on my car. Could just be bad recollection too.

Do the windows come tinted by the dealer or is that an add-on? My rear window tint is already starting to bubble and makes rear view a little blurry I know places like ziebart have a lifetime warranty but not sure about this.

What is the "cd tray" looking thing in the glove box? I have an in-dash 6disc changer, but in the glovebox top right it looks like a place to put a disk in - maybe for gps updates?

Lastly, anyone know what Lexus did to the newer models to get an additional ~10 mpg combined? Would be nice if it was just a free firmware update on the battery - HA!

Thanks for reading! Heres a pic!

photo storage

Last edited by rhwimmers; 03-12-13 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 06:02 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

The CD tray in the glove box is your Nav DVD.
The button by the gear shift is the lock out. (So you can put into N without the car on)
The Run flats are whats making it rough. I swapped out mine right away.
Voice commands are useless. Forget about them
The new GSh uses a different battery, inverter, and engine cycle. (Atkinson instead of Otto)
The new GSh is also slower.

The rest. I'll quote myself from another thread.

Originally Posted by neurocity
GS450h in a nutshell

Buy one that has been driven. Lexus mechanics will tell you that driving them is better than not driving them. Batteries that are replaced, are usually ones where people never drive them.

The V6 is a 2GRE-FSE. (Wiki it) its the same one as in IS350's and GS350's. The computer is running a different program though.

The transmission is made by Aisin. It holds the e-motors. One for driving and one for starting and stopping the ICE (Internal combustion engine). The trans is CVT, but not in a conical hi low gearing sense. Its uses Planetary gears to achieve high/low. (Ive posted about it here) It is NOT like a RX400/450. Is its not like a Prius or Camry hybrid. Even the new GS450h does not share the same components.

The brakes are normal GS350,460 brakes. People say they last longer because of the hybrid drive. Whatever... the car is heavier than the 350/460 and the regen slows the car... a very small percent is relied on. The brakes do the stopping.

Plug changes in the 80k miles range. Water pumps are known to go Hiroshima. Gaskets can be a problem.

The car uses VDIM. (Wiki that one too) VDIM is required for the Google driver less cars to work. This also means... you don't drive that car. You are telling a computer how fast you want to go. Winter is not a problem. I ran last year and this year with DWS AS tires. I'm in Chicago. Ive even posted a video of me blowing by a 300C awd and Porsche Cayenne AWD. (somewhere here)

You can not mod the drive line other than bolt-ons. Seriously... don't even bother. Its not worth the risk of damaging something else. If you get an after market warranty. Chances are they don't cover the hybrid components. Try for a CPO... this way you will be covered after the warranty for hybrid components. (Lexus covers people after the warranty ends, but its not widely disclosed.)

You will have no trunk. It will **** you off eventually. The steering wheel is not heated at least my 07 wasn't. Buy gloves.
If you get a check hybrid system error... find another way to get to work. It will go into limp mode and your done. (Sometimes they have brain farts and you can reset the computer by pulling the 12v in the trunk for 30min.)
Old 03-13-13, 01:27 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. For that gear shift lockout - is there supposed to be a cover of some sort on it so it matches the rest of that panel?
How do you unlock the trunk so you can pop it with the button on the keyfob and the button by the wheel?
I think I saw it recommends full synthetic 0w30, that what most use? My hihy uses 0w20 fully syn. How many miles before oil change? I hear a lot of people say with fully syn you can go 10k, my highlander tells me after 3000 miles (its only based on miles, not a sensor for the oil etc). How hard is the oil change - looked under the hood and its just all covered in plastic # ; )
Thanks again!
Old 03-13-13, 02:29 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by rhwimmers
Thanks for the info. For that gear shift lockout - is there supposed to be a cover of some sort on it so it matches the rest of that panel?
How do you unlock the trunk so you can pop it with the button on the keyfob and the button by the wheel?
I think I saw it recommends full synthetic 0w30, that what most use? My hihy uses 0w20 fully syn. How many miles before oil change? I hear a lot of people say with fully syn you can go 10k, my highlander tells me after 3000 miles (its only based on miles, not a sensor for the oil etc). How hard is the oil change - looked under the hood and its just all covered in plastic # ; )
Thanks again!
There is a lock out for the trunk remote in the glove box. Crap will shift and switch it off from time to time.
I was lucky with an 07. Got to put regular dead dino in mine. 5k miles was the norm.
Yes there is suppose to be a plug there. Use your CL user name, Sign up at Sewell Lexus parts. you will get a discount on stuff.
Old 03-14-13, 08:11 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Oil change is the same as any other newer car (it has the reusable canister for the filter).
Old 03-14-13, 05:20 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah I'm a little late to the party but most of it was answered by Neurocity, congrats on the hybrid GS you will love the car, winter will be a breeze the extra weight really helps. Also the tires if run flats should be changed as they really are horrible.
Old 03-17-13, 11:55 AM
LexFather

O.P do you have a dash plate, I think that is a Neiman Marcus edition, very rare. Welcome to the GSh owners club.
Old 03-17-13, 10:45 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Yup - its Number 49 of 75!

"Oil change is the same as any other newer car (it has the reusable canister for the filter)."
- Can you elaborate on this? Not sure I know what you mean.

Still loving the car - the speed is incredible! Can't seem to get the trunk unlocked unless manually using the key. The button on the left side by steering wheel does nothing, the remote does nothing, if I push the button (in) in the trunk then pushing the trunk button will beep, but nothing ever unlocks?
Old 03-18-13, 06:28 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Can't seem to get the trunk unlocked unless manually using the key. The button on the left side by steering wheel does nothing, the remote does nothing, if I push the button (in) in the trunk then pushing the trunk button will beep, but nothing ever unlocks?
I posted this already...

Originally Posted by neurocity
There is a lock out for the trunk remote in the glove box. Crap will shift and switch it off from time to time.
Old 03-18-13, 06:52 AM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Sorry for the typo - "if I push the button (in) in the trunk then pushing the trunk button will beep,"
what I meant was if I push the button in the glovebox to unlock it (as you instructed) then the button will beep (it wont beep if the button is out) but nothing happens.
Old 03-18-13, 06:56 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Sorry for the typo - "if I push the button (in) in the trunk then pushing the trunk button will beep,"
what I meant was if I push the button in the glovebox to unlock it (as you instructed) then the button will beep (it wont beep if the button is out) but nothing happens.
Might be a stretch. but open the trunk. Look down into the release. See if you can see if the harness is connected. Mine came undone when I was screwing around with panels in the trunk. Took me a while to figure out what had happened.
Old 03-22-13, 12:40 AM
troymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase ... I bought one (07 450h ) for my wife on Valentines day this year. She loves it. Its a fun car to drive. I'm looking forward to this weekend as I'm going to take it along Hwy 1 near Half Moon Bay Ca.
Old 05-21-13, 10:57 AM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Still enjoying the car immensely, AC seats are great! The trunk deal still wont work which is the biggest pain, anyone have ideas on what to look for to test if its bad? I took to lexus..they just said make an appointment and we will figure it out...They also charge $100 for an oil change so id like to avoid them if possible!
Old 05-23-13, 02:20 AM
NiftySVX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

f the trunk doesn't work electrically at all then that is bad news. There is a tsb for it and I won't even tell you how much it costs. The oil is 5/30. 5,000 mile oil changes with conventional oil will be fine. And the engine is a modified version of the standard "2Ger" (2GR-FSE)that the other cars used but with different cam accessories. The NM editions are rare in that they are super early production and they don't have the shark fin, and some other things are a little different as I recall. Does it have the blue line on the 450h? The training models we had didn't.

As soon as there was talk internally in Toyota around 2004 about the car I started saving and I'm not sorry aside from horrible rattles (door panels and dash) and the need to have the tires flipped on the rims every so often. And as for the tires...I'd get the new Potenza RE-960 RFTs if you have without spare. Can't recall if the NM ones had it. I have active stabi so no spare for me but the car has more flats than anything I have ever owned.

By the way, the hybrid transmission can be pretty complex for some tp understand, but it is really quite simple. The main thing to remember is that it does not have what is commonly called "speeds" like a conventional auto but it does have low and high range. It uses Motor/generator 1 to control the ratio via a hold on the main planetary, which also causes it to rotate to charge the battery. It also is used for starting the engine. MG2 is used to drive the wheels and to perform regenerative braking. This is identical to the way the Toyota hybrid system has always worked. Fun fact: the toyota hybrids can not use the gas engine for motive force in reverse, electric only (That's a good one for curious passengers).The only conceptual difference is that this unit for GS and LS hybrid uses a single clutch pack which allows a second range. The battery and inverter are VERY similar to the 07-09 camry HYB and quite similar to the 10-present. You should be familiar with the VDIM system from your highlander hybrid except this car will integrate control of the electronic shocks. It makes the car very fun to drive because you'd have to be doing something insane to make it uncontrollable. I have tried-on glare ice-and can't get the car to be out of control.

The car is truly a secret gem in the market. You'll like it more and more the longer you have it.

Last edited by NiftySVX; 05-23-13 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-18-13, 07:24 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

5w30 conventional - not full synthetic?