Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

How to tell if rx450h qualifies for California emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 11:30 AM
WilliamKF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if rx450h qualifies for California emissions?

I'm looking at a 2012 rx450h but will be moving to California soon and wonder if it will automatically qualify for California emissions? If not, can I use the VIN to determine whether it will?
Old 03-10-13, 12:43 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to California (and Club Lexus!)

This page may be of help on just about everything related to California Emissions Testing and you can easily get to all other DMV processes, etc. from there. A quick read says this:
EXEMPTIONS
A vehicle is exempt from smog testing when:

It is a diesel vehicle.
It is an electric powered vehicle.
It is a gas powered vehicle which weighs more than 14,000 pounds.
A hybrid vehicle.
FYI, one of the side benefits of a hybrid in California is you don't have to take it for a smog check -- I never have since 2006.
Old 03-10-13, 01:58 PM
WilliamKF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that mean the car qualifies for the extended 150K warrantee for the hybrid batteries under California law if you move in state and register there?
Old 03-10-13, 02:16 PM
BertL

I don't know. That's a whole other question not as easily answered as I look at the website once again. I'm not a lawyer either, so will defer to someone else to do that research and interpretation. . Good luck with your move to the West.
Old 03-10-13, 04:59 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but to the best of my knowledge, all 'NEW' cars sold now in the U.S., qualify for CA emissions and state so somewhere on the various stickers on the cars.
Old 03-10-13, 07:01 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but to the best of my knowledge, all 'NEW' cars sold now in the U.S., qualify for CA emissions and state so somewhere on the various stickers on the cars.
No. All new vehicles meet Federal regulations, however, not all met CA state emissions standards.
Old 03-10-13, 07:25 PM
Cruiter

Andrew, your car is a 2004. Mine is a 2010 and I just shot this photo moments ago. It's under the hood of my car. The car was manufactured in May of 09 which was the 1st month of production for the 2010 RX450h. I read it's qualified in CA. What does it say to you? The car was the 1st one delivered to the Atlanta GA region. I retired from the car business working for the Nalley companies that hot shipped it from Jacksonville up here for me to get it before the end of June 09. I suspect that everyone with a car built as 2010 or later has one of these decals if it was sold new in the United States.
Originally Posted by RX330inFL
No. All new vehicles meet Federal regulations, however, not all met CA state emissions standards.
Attached Thumbnails How to tell if rx450h qualifies for California emissions?-imag0367.jpg  

Last edited by Cruiter; 03-10-13 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-10-13, 07:40 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Something I've ever had to worry about living in a Iowa corn field is California regulations, so I checked. Although I thought I was pretty safe driving a super ultra low emissions vehicle (is that what SULEV stands for in Cruiter's photo?)

The California DMV web site says in a FAQ,
"Aren't all Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California certified (50-State) vehicles are made to be sold to California residents."

Last edited by DunWkg; 03-10-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-10-13, 07:46 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew, your car is a 2004. Mine is a 2010 and I just shot this photo moments ago. It's under the hood of my car. The car was manufactured in May of 09 which was the 1st month of production for the 2010 RX450h. I read it's qualified in CA. What does it say to you? The car was the 1st one delivered to the Atlanta GA region. I retired from the car business working for the Nalley companies that hot shipped it from Jacksonville up here for me to get it before the end of June 09. I suspect that everyone with a car built as 2010 or later has one of these decals if it was sold new in the United States.
Jim your vehicle qualifies simply by being a hybrid!
Old 03-10-13, 07:57 PM
Cruiter

Hmm, you may be correct on that. Maybe someone reading with a non-hybrid 2010 or up can take a look under the hood and chime in.
Originally Posted by VVRX
Jim your vehicle qualifies simply by being a hybrid!
Old 03-10-13, 09:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Andrew, your car is a 2004. Mine is a 2010 and I just shot this photo moments ago. It's under the hood of my car. The car was manufactured in May of 09 which was the 1st month of production for the 2010 RX450h. I read it's qualified in CA. What does it say to you? The car was the 1st one delivered to the Atlanta GA region. I retired from the car business working for the Nalley companies that hot shipped it from Jacksonville up here for me to get it before the end of June 09.
I never said anything to the fact that my car or your car is or is not certified in CA. The statement you made was that "all" new cars sold today meet CA emissions standards. You have only proven that your RX qualifies. Yes, the overwhelming majority of vehicles sold today are 50 state legal. Many of these changes were necessary when additional states, such as NY and other NE and west coast states, adopted the CA emissions standards.

Your picture does indicate for the OP how one can easily tell if their vehicle meets CA emissions regulations. Good information to know for those thinking of moving to CA. How many here actually knew that information was posted there?

However, you have not proven to me that 100% of new cars, vehicles for sale at this very moment with a new title, can all qualify for CA's strict emissions standards. All the cars on all the dealer lots of all the manufacturers? Think about it. You worked in the business as you have commented.

If you had said that all new Lexus would qualify that would have been fine or if you had said "most all" new vehicles. But usually when people say things like "never" and "all" without much in the way of fact checking it is their arrogance showing. I have been around a long time, too. Perhaps longer than yourself. Dad made sure I worked each summer while in HS at places like Fisher Body or with those he knew in the automotive industry and working weekends at the race tracks in the NE. Even got the chance to walk through lines of cars waiting at the Port of Baltimore looking to pick what I wanted when I got back from Vietnam -- regardless of whether it was assigned to a dealer or not. When I purchased my RX I talked directly to ownership and not to a salesperson.

I suspect that everyone with a car built as 2010 or later has one of these decals if it was sold new in the United States.
You asked to be corrected if you were wrong, so here it is. BTW, while most of the following are trucks and not cars, I do believe the Escalade qualifies as an SUV -- same as the RX. Same with the Suburban. This took one call to an individual who emailed me the appropriate GM document from which I clipped the following:

How to tell if rx450h qualifies for California emissions?-screen-shot-2013-03-10-at-11.21.49-pm.png
Old 03-10-13, 09:43 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WilliamKF
I'm looking at a 2012 rx450h but will be moving to California soon and wonder if it will automatically qualify for California emissions? If not, can I use the VIN to determine whether it will?
So, back to your original question...

If you look at the image Cruiter has provided, you will find a similar sticker on your RXh. Am sure there is some paperwork involved, however, from an emissions standpoint it sounds like you will be fine.

I think the big thing I hear about these days from my friends in CA is that while once having a hybrid got you special lane privileges on the highways that is no longer the case.
Old 03-11-13, 03:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Interesting, I'll have to check my 450h for that sticker. Personally I'd wait to purchase the RX in California. No need to worry about transporting it and chances are it hasn't been exposed to salt and snow.
Old 03-11-13, 04:53 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
...I think the big thing I hear about these days from my friends in CA is that while once having a hybrid got you special lane privileges on the highways that is no longer the case.
That's correct. California has so many Prius and other hybrids, the diamond lanes are no longer a privilege just because you have a hybrid, and the yellow stickers those vehicles had became useless back in 2011. It's now only certain models of ILEV and CNG (all electric, fuel cell, all natural gas) that get the special perk I believe.