Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Keeping RX450 battery charged during long absence

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 03:11 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

You can use the jump port, but is it even necessary? The Toyota / Lexus hybrids only need enough current to wake up the computer. The traction battery does all the heavy lifting.
Old 12-01-16, 05:28 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default I do it to mine if/when I store it for over two weeks.

Originally Posted by Htony
If subject is dealt with alreay I am sorry. First cold snap around the corner(temp. will drop to -20C range with some snow) I am wondering if it is OK to hook up trickle charger for 12V battery on boost jump connector under the hood. Or do I have to connect right onto the battery posts? Anyone knows?
And if you, like me, keep the headlights in the "auto" position, if/when your battery is low and you touch the Start button, the load of the headlights coming on quickly drains the remaining "oomph" and by the time you turn off the headlights, you've missed your opportunity to start the car.

BTW, the recommended charge rate is 5 amps max; and I've found that my car's charging system doesn't seem to charge the battery to a very high voltage (and no, I don't remember it off hand).

I've had two batteries replaced in my car (2013 RXh) - one before I took delivery of it; and a second one about one year after I bought it (it now has 58K in 36 months of use).

I'm thinking of adding in a permanent Powerpole connector set right under the hood so I can more easily hook up a trickle charger (I use a pair of Griot's Garage Battery Manager V's on my stored vehicles - see: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn
).
Old 12-02-16, 10:25 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

On Tuesday next week, we're expecting below -20C temperature. I just wanted to get ready if battery gives me trouble. I am the lucky one to park my car outside in a sheltered car port while kids', wife's car are sitting in the garage, LOL! I am having the same idea getting a quick connect cable run readily available to hook up smart trickle charger when needed. Thanks.
Old 12-02-16, 11:49 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You should be fine in either case. The only thing I'd be concerned about is long cables on the trickle charger not being fused. It's best to have a fuse less than 18" away from the battery.
Old 12-02-16, 01:50 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

New owner of a 2010 RX 450h and I've been poring over these threads for several weeks now, trying to get a quick education on the quirks of this wonderful car.

Why do you think you need to trickle charge at all? This is NOT a conventional car where starting demands hundreds of amps from a very cold battery. But you certainly could hook up a trickle charger if you really want to, and it makes no difference whether you use the battery terminals or the hood connection. An alternative (better, in my view) is to buy one of those cheap jump-starters to keep in the trunk. I just got one for $40 from WalMart and it's about the size and heft of a brick. Nicely well-made.

Another option if you're going away for months would be to buy a cheap trickle solar panel you could put on the dash and plug into the OBDII port below the steering wheel. Ebay has them for $40.
Old 12-02-16, 01:59 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
And if you, like me, keep the headlights in the "auto" position, if/when your battery is low and you touch the Start button, the load of the headlights coming on quickly drains the remaining "oomph" and by the time you turn off the headlights, you've missed your opportunity to start the car.

BTW, the recommended charge rate is 5 amps max; and I've found that my car's charging system doesn't seem to charge the battery to a very high voltage (and no, I don't remember it off hand).

I've had two batteries replaced in my car (2013 RXh) - one before I took delivery of it; and a second one about one year after I bought it (it now has 58K in 36 months of use).

I'm thinking of adding in a permanent Powerpole connector set right under the hood so I can more easily hook up a trickle charger (I use a pair of Griot's Garage Battery Manager V's on my stored vehicles - see: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn
).
Nate,
You might be doing this right! I heard of a trick, which is to turn on the high beams before starting in the extreme cold. While it may seem counter-intuitive, the discharge warms up the battery, giving it more juice.

BTW, my '13 is still on the original battery. Been good so far, knock on the wood.
It has been taking a fraction of a second longer to get to the "ready state", but it's been this way for a year now.
There are no other indications of battery deterioration.
Old 12-12-16, 03:20 PM
Kopavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I do not drive the RX450H that often (often 5-7 days of down time) I use a CTEK Multi US 3300 (3.3 amp) charger with pulse maintenance. It is hooked up directly to the battery in the rear cargo hatch. This is just out of habit and has worked well as a preventative measure on all my vehicles (three of which have been hybrids). If you drive everyday it should be less of an concern.

The CTEK can be connected with an 8' extension that can remain in one of the two side hatch compartments in the cargo area until you are ready to connect to the charger. The wires exit the rear hatch and do not impact your ability to close the rear door. This allows for a one time connection to the battery. If you opt to use the jump port in the engine compartment, I think you might need to connect it each time you want to charge the battery as a permanent connection looks to be more challenging.

A good review and comparison of the CTEK 3300 and 7200 chargers can be viewed here:
https://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...tery-chargers/

Last edited by Kopavi; 12-14-16 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-13-18, 09:08 PM
fishybone
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaving car whilst on vacation

How long should the hybrid battery last if not driven? We're going away for a holiday for the first time since getting our 2013 RX450H and we'll be gone for about 3 weeks. It should be between 3 and 18 degrees here in Australia (that's 37 and 59 F) during that time, and the car will be sitting in our garage. Assuming I get the hybrid battery to a reasonable charge (by coasting downhill) prior to us leaving, we should be able to come back to a car that starts fine?
Old 04-14-18, 12:28 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I am also away for 4 weeks so I put the 12 volt battery on a trickle charger. As for the traction battery, it can be left for 3 months, I believe.

I did as you suggested, i.e. bring it to as full a charge as practical.
Old 04-14-18, 03:24 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoodo
You can use the jump port, but is it even necessary? The Toyota / Lexus hybrids only need enough current to wake up the computer. The traction battery does all the heavy lifting.
If the traction battery sits too long and is fully discharged, or if the traction battery fails, can the car/vehicle be jump started? since the regular 12v battery only operates and maintains the electronics.
Old 04-14-18, 05:57 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by samsonn25
If the traction battery sits too long and is fully discharged, or if the traction battery fails, can the car/vehicle be jump started? since the regular 12v battery only operates and maintains the electronics.
If the traction battery is fully discharged, you will need to flat bed to a dealer or hybrid shop.

Ive owned various hybrids since 2007 and I’ve never had it happen.
Old 04-16-18, 01:10 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Traction battery cannot go completely dead. It has to maintain a specific charge rate, somewhere between 60% and 80%. If it does drop very low, a special device is needed to charge it up. I hear some dealers may have these, but never have to put them to use, so a month without starting will not be a big deal. I doubt dealers regularly start up their hybrids when they are sitting on the lot for months.

Now, the 12V battery that runs ECUs and most of electronics is the same as a regular car battery. If it is low or bad, the hybrid will need to be jump-started similar to a regular car. The difference is, there is no starter nor alternator.
The jump start via the 12v regular battery will give enough current to run the electronics since the traction battery starts the mechanical engine, since 98% of the time the traction battery has enough juice.

I was wondering cars that are at auction either from an accident or insurance loss that sits on salvage lots for 4-12 months have totally discharged traction batteries. If this case it would need to be towed to dealer to run Techstream, or a place to try to recharge the traction battery with the "Special charger" or to an Indie shop to take out the traction battery completely to bench test it to see if the cells will hold any power.
Old 11-03-20, 07:31 AM
stamy74
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Protect battery from not using vehicle

Hi there.

I own a 2010 Lexus RX450h.
I have to leave the car for around 3-4 weeks cause I will be away.
Are there any precautions I have to take in order for the battery to not drain? Or there shouldn't be a problem for such period?

Many thanx in advance.
Old 11-03-20, 11:13 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

If you refer to the 12V battery (especially if you still have the original), you might consider using a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up for this length of time. If the 12V battery is newer and in good shape, it should be ok by itself for that period of time. Don't leave the key near the vehicle, as I've heard that causes more use of the key transmitter (apparently draining battery more quickly, not 100% sure on this). If there is no way to use a trickle charger, probably the next best thing is to have one of those small portable booster packs. There are booster points under the hood that can energize the 12V system to get things going again if necessary. You should become familiar with them (the positive terminal is in the big fuse box on the right, there is a ground point on the left, but any good ground point will do).

If you are referring to the hybrid battery, as long as the battery was near the top of the charge when the vehicle was parked, it should be fine for this period of time. Usually it gets iffy when you start talking months of non-use, not weeks.