Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

How Long For Special Order RX450h From Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 09:51 AM
Plumlaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long For Special Order RX450h From Japan?

Would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has special ordered an RX450h from Japan. I would mainly like to know how long it was from the time the order was placed until you took delivery of the vehicle. Additionally if you would like to provide any info about the process you experienced from the dealer that would be great too- things like were you provided any updates on your order status. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-25-13, 10:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Generally four months though it can vary like in this thread. Finding a dealer that has placed a special order before is important. My sales guy had about six in 12 years. Not a lot but enough for me to feel confident. The order goes into California where it is hopefully accepted. Then the waiting game begins. I was able to get an order number, estimated production date and delivery date to the dealer within a month of placing my special order from my sales guy. It was available online.

What are you looking to get in the 450h that has you considering a special order? I'm not trying to discourage you. Just curious. Having an RX built the exact way I want is the way to go IMO.
Old 01-25-13, 11:15 AM
Plumlaker
Driver School Candidate

This will be my 4th RX and I've always wanted the Levinson upgrade but have always given in and just went with the stereo that it comes with. There are differing views on the quality of the Levinson system but this time I'm determined to get exactly what I want.
You mentioned that you got an order number, production date, and delivery date within a month online. Where would I find that? The dealer is supposed to be checking for me but I don't know how much experience they have in special orders. When I placed it they implied they were familiar with the process.

Last edited by Plumlaker; 01-25-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 01:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The dealer got the information online. It's not something you can do. My sales guy gave me a printout so I knew it was real.

ML is still missing bass but I can live with it. Been there, done that with trying to improve the stereo. I figured go with it this time so I'll be less likely to spend any money making changes, LOL! Speaking of which, the price of ML went down on the '13s. They took away the 6-CD changer. Bummer. One member here added dynamat on his '10, said it made a big difference. Haven't tried that yet though.

I assume the dealer has searched for an ML-equipped 450h. If not definitely have them do it. I forgot to mention that the whole process went very smoothly despite my fears something was not going to be right. Good luck.
Old 01-25-13, 01:40 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
The order goes into California where it is hopefully accepted. Then the waiting game begins. I was able to get an order number, estimated production date and delivery date to the dealer within a month of placing my special order from my sales guy.
How long did it take for the order to be accepted by Lexus corporate?
Old 01-25-13, 04:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by FamilyRX
How long did it take for the order to be accepted by Lexus corporate?
I'm not sure. The order was sent to California by the dealer about two weeks after I placed it. They were only sent once a month, don't know if it's the same process now. Four weeks after that I received the printout from my sales guy showing the production and estimated ETA to the dealer. Only then did I know the order was accepted.
Old 01-25-13, 04:22 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

At which point in the process did you negotiate the price of the vehicle?
Old 01-25-13, 04:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by FamilyRX
At which point in the process did you negotiate the price of the vehicle?
Before it was written up. My sales guy said they don't discount special orders but he gave me one since it was my third RX from them. Funny, during the process I didn't call him back right away, totally not on purpose, and the price dropped more. Maybe I should have waited longer, LOL!
Old 01-25-13, 05:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I waited a little less than 3 months for mine from when I placed the order. I also negotiated before placing the order.
Old 01-25-13, 05:40 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

My dealer said he has submitted our request to Lexus and we are still waiting to find out if it will be accepted. We haven't negotiated any price though or filled out any paperwork. Does the negotiation and paperwork happen after the order has been accepted?
Old 01-25-13, 05:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by RXSF
I waited a little less than 3 months for mine from when I placed the order. I also negotiated before placing the order.
No fair, your RX had a shorter boat trip
Old 01-26-13, 05:02 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW... I'll add in a couple things.

I've special-ordered now 3 Lexus over the years. As Anita says, delivery time can vary for a myriad of reasons. The way it worked this last time (the best I can determine) is the dealer puts their order in -- there is a monthly cut-off about the end of the 3rd week of the month where HQ/Plant then go through all those and an estimated build date is established for each order. There is some sort of prioritization by dealer and such that goes into the mix, so I don't believe all dealers are the same in their ability to get the same delivery time to you if there is some sort of constraint -- I don't have proof of that, but I firmly believe it to be the case (e.g. dealers that put lots of money into new dealerships, etc get more cars than older dealers that sell lower volumes). Anyway, the dealer can see the change in status once the order is accepted and a build date is set. Nothing changes until HQ/Plant move that date in or out, or the car is built. When it's done, they can see that status change, and that it's headed for a ship. Once it's on the ship, they again see a status change and I believe then or when it gets to the delivery center, they again see the status change -- it's only a few days then until it shows up at the dealership. The VIN is assigned somewhere after the build is completed and the dealer can see it -- I'm not clear on which step exactly that is ...but once I had my VIN for the enroute RX450h, I could for example, get onto TIS (dealer service system -- costs money for a day or more access -- see some of my other posts on that) and look up my VIN, see that it was still not in "delivered status" and verify options and such myself just like any dealer service place could.

If you've ever ordered a BMW, that is a much more automated system in terms of once the order is placed and accepted, the dealer can give the customer the info needed for them to also see status changes on the Web or via a 800-number as the car is manufactured through paint, final assembly, etc, waiting on the lot for a ship, etc, etc. That sounds neat, but it can be really frustrating, as if you have questions along the way, the dealership or BMW NA can't give you any more info than what that system shows you (e.g. my BMW was built, past final inspection, and it sat waiting in the lot at the plant -- not even sent on to the dock for a ship headed to the US for nearly 6 weeks). I got the VIN from their system as the car was being manufactured, and was able to figure out the ship it was on via other sites, watch the ship travel from Germany to UK through Panama Canal (phew, the pirates didn't get it) and up to the port via it's GPS tracking, where I found a webcam of it coming into port on another site -- was sort of fun following it along. Mercedes seems to provide their dealerships with an ability to also get to the more detailed status of an order once it's accepted as well (took only 5 days in my latest order this month -- I'm now waiting for build completion around 3/20), but unlike BMW, there is no ability for the customer to see status themselves. My sales person gets onto the Mercedes tracking system every week and he provides his customers with status updates as status changes along the way -- for me, it's now quiet for 2 more months. Both German manufacturers are really set up to deal with special orders -- it's a bigger part of their business I suspect. My perception is that Lexus does special orders, but more as an accommodation, and therefore their infrastructure is not as robust when it comes to the ability for their manufacturing/shipping systems to notify the dealer and/or customer of status changes or to peer into the inner workings. It's definitely something my dealer thinks is lacking, especially as I told them of my BMW experience back in 2008. E.g. when my RX450h order stalled early last year, it took the Sales Manager numerous calls and escalations trying to figure out what was going on and the options he and I had along the way. He fortunately was keeping a close eye on it, and I didn't hear of some of those challenges until there was more concrete info and resolution.

Hope that helps a little bit. Net is, just hang in there. The big thing is ask your Lexus sales person to notify you when the order has been accepted and what the target build date is. When that date rolls around, give them a call if they have not to you, and ask what the estimated delivery date will then be. They'll be keeping an eye on it from that point nd can give you a target date within a few days of when you should have it. GOOD LUCK. While the wait is always hard, I know you'll enjoy your new RX!

Last edited by BertL; 01-26-13 at 05:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-26-13, 05:47 AM
Plumlaker
Driver School Candidate

Great info BertL- I appreciate it. Like you I think it would really be neat to be able to track a special order like this in the way you did with the BMW. I don't think the salesman appreciates the level of anticipation that you have when going thru this process. I was told 90 to 120 days when I placed the order an am fine with that if it is proceeding thru the system. My fear is that they will let it fall thru the system or put the process on auto pilot without keeping an eye on it. I don't want to be a nuisance with them but at the same time I want to know as much as I can especially since I would like to time selling my current vehicle with the arrival of the new one.
Old 01-27-13, 06:25 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

We placed the order for the car the 7th of September, Car was made on the 13th of October, car was in Jacksonville, Fl (off the boat the 13th on November, car was in Mobile on the 22nd and we took it home on the 26 of November. Do a search and you can see how to find the boat and watcht it move on the map when your car gets near. We watch the ship on both sides of the canal and saw it move up the west cost of Florida and then watch it move in the port of Jacksonville. That was cool.
Old 01-28-13, 10:03 AM
Plumlaker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing Billy44bo. That's the kind of info I was hoping to get. It would really be great if the dealerships understood that when you special order a vehicle you want as much information as possible. The tracking that you were able to do was great!

Quick Reply: How Long For Special Order RX450h From Japan?