ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-215/)
-   -   Stuttering breaking? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/672633-stuttering-breaking.html)

GoBuckeyes 01-09-13 06:50 PM

Stuttering breaking?

Ive had this 2007 CPO 450h for about a month so still feeling things out. I was exiting the freeway today and while applying the break to slow down to a stop and the car started stuttering. Cant tell if it was an engine problem or a regenerative break problem. It wasnt a violent jerk such as my wife trying to drive a stick shift but it was disturbing nonetheless. I couldnt recreate the problem directly after. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks in advance for your input.

morganc 01-10-13 09:42 AM

I have the same problem on my 450h and it happens during automatic regen (ie, coasting). It happens regardless of whether I apply the brakes or not. What is it exactly? Most likely Electric Motor torque ripple that can occur with age. I have no stored codes on any of the car's computers. I've just gotten used to it.

GoBuckeyes 01-10-13 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by morganc (Post 7695176)
I have the same problem on my 450h and it happens during automatic regen (ie, coasting). It happens regardless of whether I apply the brakes or not. What is it exactly? Most likely Electric Motor torque ripple that can occur with age. I have no stored codes on any of the car's computers. I've just gotten used to it.

How often does it happen to you?

bigblack06 01-10-13 07:29 PM

I have never heard that or felt that, maybe when speeding the engine comes on abruptly, I was gonna say it was your rotors maybe. Can you better describe it, is it a small shutter when braking or does the actual car shake.

GoBuckeyes 01-11-13 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by bigblack06 (Post 7696333)
I have never heard that or felt that, maybe when speeding the engine comes on abruptly, I was gonna say it was your rotors maybe. Can you better describe it, is it a small shutter when braking or does the actual car shake.

I'm pretty sure its engine related. Its like the engine is balking. It felt like it was the engine but the movement was as if the brakes are biting and releasing quickly, a methodical stuttering. It is not just a vibration, its a pretty sharp bite, like it is stalling then catching rapidly and repeatedly. After I came to a stop it did not happen again for the rest of my city driving to the house.

bigblack06 01-11-13 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by GoBuckeyes (Post 7698026)
I'm pretty sure its engine related. Its like the engine is balking. It felt like it was the engine but the movement was as if the brakes are biting and releasing quickly, a methodical stuttering. It is not just a vibration, its a pretty sharp bite, like it is stalling then catching rapidly and repeatedly. After I came to a stop it did not happen again for the rest of my city driving to the house.

Ok that sounds interesting, I would say bring it to the dealer but most likely they wont be able to produce it again, I would video tape the action when it occurs if it does occur again. How many miles on the car.

GoBuckeyes 01-11-13 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigblack06 (Post 7698185)
Ok that sounds interesting, I would say bring it to the dealer but most likely they wont be able to produce it again, I would video tape the action when it occurs if it does occur again. How many miles on the car.

Only 49k....................

bigblack06 01-13-13 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by GoBuckeyes (Post 7698328)
Only 49k....................

Ok,I was gonna say maybe its the spark plugs but this I'm sort of lost on :uh:

fpalella 01-13-13 09:10 AM

I also have an "07 450h and the exact same thing happens to me. I took it to my dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it (surprise!!). I have 75,000 miles on my car but it has been happening since i bought it with 39,000. It does not happen often. Probably about once every 6 weeks. I make the same drive every day so it is very sporadic. I do think it tends to happen more after I have been driving at higher speeds (above 85-90 mph). It is not the spark plugs, but it could have something to do with the regenerative bakes. Any help would be appreciated.

neurocity 01-13-13 10:05 AM

I'm about to roll 90k on mine. I drive 50-70miles a day and then 200 on the weekends easy.

Haven't experienced this yet. I'm wondering if its something to do with the VDIM getting a brain fart in this situation.

450h owners have to remember. You really don't drive your car. Our cars have the furthest disconnect from driver to road of any car out there. Maybe a Fisker is more.

morganc 01-14-13 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by GoBuckeyes (Post 7696265)
How often does it happen to you?

This happens almost all the time. Whether I'm coasting up to a sign from speed, or down shifting and forcing engine braking, it is independent of me applying the regular brakes. Having worked with electric motors for many years, they get worn in and start producing consistent noises and vibrations. My car has 97000 hard miles on it.

GoBuckeyes 01-14-13 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by morganc (Post 7701974)
This happens almost all the time. Whether I'm coasting up to a sign from speed, or down shifting and forcing engine braking, it is independent of me applying the regular brakes. Having worked with electric motors for many years, they get worn in and start producing consistent noises and vibrations. My car has 97000 hard miles on it.

YIKES! That would be unbearable for me. Have you taken it to a dealership to check out? My problem is I cannot recreate the problem on demand so the dealer would just say they couldn't find anything wrong. In your case I would think they could at least take a stab at diagnosing the problem.

morganc 01-18-13 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by GoBuckeyes (Post 7702048)
YIKES! That would be unbearable for me. Have you taken it to a dealership to check out? My problem is I cannot recreate the problem on demand so the dealer would just say they couldn't find anything wrong. In your case I would think they could at least take a stab at diagnosing the problem.

The dealers in my area are, unfortunately, the pinnacle of useless and disrespectful. I have since reverted to an independent Lexus Master/Hybrid Cert. mechanic for my tricky issues (and he's already solved dozens of problems for me where the dealer said "there's nothing wrong").

As for this, we have yet to come up with a diagnosis. Another tell tale sign is that during coasting, there is something that sounds like it "chirping" with every prop shaft rotation. As soon as you ease on the gas, it goes away. Let off, it happens. Something is striking another object and we'll have to do some dynamic tests in the air. Either that, or the electric motor is going to pack it in soon (grrrreeeaaat).

Brabusx2 12-06-15 11:52 PM

guys, this had just happened to me today, really scary moment

i got a dash cam video of it, it does not seems to severe in video, but trust me its much worse and loud in person, i could see my dash light and headlight flicker, the sound was like a engine stalling

vap3 10-15-18 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brabusx2 (Post 9278120)
guys, this had just happened to me today, really scary moment

i got a dash cam video of it, it does not seems to severe in video, but trust me its much worse and loud in person, i could see my dash light and headlight flicker, the sound was like a engine stalling

2007 Lexus GS450h engine stutters when stopping - YouTube

did you end up fixing it?