Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

6 new fuel injectors and $1400 worth of warranty work

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 07:28 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
bump.

What do you all think? Do you think injector issues are common with engines with EGR systems? Should we build in a fuel injector cleaning as part of our regular maintenance from now on? Every 10K miles or 15K miles?
Considering almost everyone in the last 25 years now has been driving something with fuel injection and an EGR system (basically everything built since the late '80's with a few notable exceptions), with the vast majority never having any problems, regular maintenance is something that is probably not needed.
Old 10-23-18, 01:59 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tus
Considering almost everyone in the last 25 years now has been driving something with fuel injection and an EGR system (basically everything built since the late '80's with a few notable exceptions), with the vast majority never having any problems, regular maintenance is something that is probably not needed.
I am curious to know - which gasoline engine has EGR since the late 80s? As far as I know, none have. Are you confusing EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) with PCV (positive crankcase ventilation)?

Even the RX350 does not have EGR, only the RX450h.

I suspect the RX450h's 2GR-FXE engine's Atkinson cycle and EGR introduces exhaust soot which sticks to the injectors, unlike the RX350 2GR-FE engine which is the conventional Otto cycle, without EGR.

The video in this link below shows the Atkinson cycle, but it doesn't incorporate the EGR system in it's illustration:
http://blog.lexus.co.uk/atkinson-cycle-engine-work/

Last edited by tempestv8; 10-23-18 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 02:34 PM
tus
Driver

Originally Posted by tempestv8
I am curious to know - which gasoline engine has exhaust gas recirculation since the late 80s? As far as I know, none have.
Not sure about Australia and what emissions components are required, but in the US, the only car I have ever owned that was built after 1978 that does not have an EGR system is my '91 Miata.

Among what we currently have that's post '78, the '87 Corvette, '12 Camaro SS, '12 Mercedes GLK, and '13 RX 450h, all have an EGR system. Previous vehicles with EGR would include an '87 S-10 Blazer, '94 Probe GT, a first generation Probe, '78 Corvette, '01 Bravada, '01 Blazer, and '03 Corvette.

Recently I've also replaced/cleaned the EGR valves and/or actuating solenoid on a mid-2000's Jeep Wrangler and a Dodge Stratus for friends who had the CEL on.
Old 10-23-18, 02:43 PM
tus
Driver

Originally Posted by tempestv8
I...Even the RX350 does not have EGR, only the RX450h....
Would this be on the latest generation RX350? Have to admit I don't know everything about the latest generation, but with direct injection and VVT you can get away with not having an EGR and maintain emissions standards.

Pretty sure the '13 had the system since they sell the part for it.
Old 10-23-18, 02:44 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the knowledge sharing. Most interesting that USA cars have EGR for gasoline engines as a common fitment item. Definitely not a feature of Australian gasoline engines. Only the more modern Euro 4 compliant diesel engines sold in Australia have EGR, which serves to reduce combustion temperatures, to reduce the formation of harmful nitrous oxides. As far as I'm aware, the V8s used in Australian Holden (GM) vehicles (same engine as the LS1, LS2, LS3, etc in the Corvettes) do not have EGR at all even till the very last one sold in Australia before they were discontinued.
Old 12-16-18, 06:38 PM
js450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
So our new 450h has a little over 15k miles and I've noticed lately that on cold starts, the car seems to fire up but has a very rough idle. It's almost to the point of where it feels like it's going to stall. On top of that, on cold starts, the engine doesn't sound good. It sounds like something metal is rubbing and is definitely not smooth.

So we were leaving to the hospital to bring our newborn home and the next thing I know, the check engine light comes on. I wasn't sure if this was a serious problem or because it was due for oil service and I haven't taken it in. In any case, we took it to the dealer instead of driving the baby home because if it was a serious issue, I didn't want to be stranded on the freeway with a newborn.

So we dropped it off and went on our way. We got a call from our SA the next day and he said that he believes one of the fuel injectors is bad and will use some kind of machine to confirm it. He called back later to say that the injector was bad and that he's never seen this before on this car but in his experience, if one injector goes bad, all of them will usually go bad so he said he's going to get the one fixed for sure and will try to get all 6 replaced.

Fast forward one week later and all 6 fuel injectors are replaced. I thought I'd post the write up for those that are interested or are getting the same symptoms. The write up says, "fuel injectors, code P0300, multiple cylinder misfire. debris found on injectors. replaced all 6 fuel injectors as per bulletin, L-SB-0045012." The last part is what caught my eye because it was written up to say that this was part of a service bulletin so you guys might want to take notice and get this in mind if this issue comes up for you.

There were a bunch of things replaced.
6 fuel injector set
6 injector insulator
1 gasket, egr valve
1 gasket intake ma
1 gasket egr pipe
3 gasket air surge

Hopefully, all is good. I reset our avg mpg to see if this fix will provide some better fuel averages. We'll see. In any case, the SA said that this warranty work cost over $1400. Good thing this wasn't coming out of my pockets.

If anybody has questions about symptoms, let me know.
I"m having the exact same issue but at 40k miles. Lexus won't cover the cost-
are you satisfied with the way it is running now after the repair?
Old 12-16-18, 06:45 PM
js450h
Driver School Candidate

hi
did you have it repaired and have you been happy since? I'm at this stage at 40k miles.
Seems like there is an issue, but they are not standing up to fix it.
Old 12-17-18, 07:24 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Lexus service bulletin - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46493-9999.pdf

For customers who are affected and the dealer claims no knowledge, show them this bulletin.
Old 12-17-18, 07:57 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Page 2 of the service bulletin, under applicable warranty, indicates the fix will require customers to pay at this time.

Salim
Old 12-18-18, 05:26 AM
js450h
Driver School Candidate

They knew, they are just not fixing it. It's my problem. just trying to find out if there was complete satisfaction of hte problem after the repair
Old 01-24-19, 04:37 PM
avayatech
Driver School Candidate

Default Service Bulletin L-SB-0045-12

I am counting my blessings since I just came from Lexus dealer and ONE day before my extended warranty ended my Lexus 2011 RX450h experienced misfiring codes. Took it right in and ALL 6 fuel injectors will be replaced; saving me $3000 if I had to pay out of pocket.

Lexus finance (extended warranty folks) will only have to pay $1200 on the claim to the dealer for the work (2.6 hours labor) since they don't pay what the normal customer pays - so glad it happened under warranty.

This is it though, extended warranty expired - I'm on my own from here. Great decison to buy the extended warranty - what I received from this claim and past claims far exceeded what I paid for the warranty. Always pay up since technology costs to fix big time.

FYI: My 2011 Lexus RX450h has 111,851 miles.
Old 01-25-19, 07:30 AM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. My LCPO came with 2 years and I bought another 2 year bumper-to-bumper warranty for a total of 4 years. Bought it with 55K miles and planning to run it for as long as possible. All it takes is for one bell or whistle to go out and it pays for itself. Peace of mind is worth the price as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-28-19, 05:47 AM
js450h
Driver School Candidate

Pity Lexus doesn't admit a deficiency with this issue. I had to do the same thing, but out of pocket and only at 42k miles. The fix did work though-just don't know why Lexus thinks it's ok that you need to touch any part of the engine below 80k or so.

Originally Posted by avayatech
I am counting my blessings since I just came from Lexus dealer and ONE day before my extended warranty ended my Lexus 2011 RX450h experienced misfiring codes. Took it right in and ALL 6 fuel injectors will be replaced; saving me $3000 if I had to pay out of pocket.

Lexus finance (extended warranty folks) will only have to pay $1200 on the claim to the dealer for the work (2.6 hours labor) since they don't pay what the normal customer pays - so glad it happened under warranty.

This is it though, extended warranty expired - I'm on my own from here. Great decison to buy the extended warranty - what I received from this claim and past claims far exceeded what I paid for the warranty. Always pay up since technology costs to fix big time.

FYI: My 2011 Lexus RX450h has 111,851 miles.
Old 10-11-21, 07:22 AM
slagathor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlkeller57
I'm having the same issue with my 2016 RX-450h with 30,000 miles. It's at the Lexus dealer in Escondido, ca. currently. I received a call yesterday from the SA saying it has 4 injectors that are foiled. We took it in last monday and he said it will not be ready until next monday. Your description was exactly what was happening to our RX-450h.
I have a 2016 as well, with 37K on it that I got CPO in late 2020. It just started exhibiting the rough starts when cold. I am taking it to the dealer on Wednesday, hopefully they say it is the injectors as well. Glad it happened before my CPO warranty was up.