Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Winter in the GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 02:55 PM
GS450h2007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter in the GS450h

Where I live, it's expected to have a light winter, which will probably last only about a couple of weeks (3-4). I have summer tires on my GS and I didn't want to invest around $1000-1500 in a new set of winter tires for such a short period. Using a taxi is way more convenient, cheaper and overall better.

Today was the first real snow, now it's very cold and I tried to get out some snow that was around me (nothing major).
Effects:
- mirrors starting jittering when I put it in reverse, they were frozen and couldn't go down;
- LCD has major delay;
- back windows are frozen, don't go down;
- 2 lines of battery.
- major-major slippage, couldn't move more than a few inches;
All of these were expected, except for the last point. Thought the weight would help me move decently.

My main question: what can I do to my Lexus to keep it in good conditions through these few weeks of winter? I'm particullary worried about not driving it for more than a week.

I was planning on driving it every 4-5 days for about 30 minutes or so around midnight when there's no real traffic. Since I couldn't get out tonight, guess I will postpone.

Should I consider chains? Any other tips or suggestions?

PS: I didn't want to buy winter tires even more so because I want to sell the car in a few months and get a new gs.
Old 01-18-13, 11:53 AM
morganc
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GS450h2007
Where I live, it's expected to have a light winter, which will probably last only about a couple of weeks (3-4). I have summer tires on my GS and I didn't want to invest around $1000-1500 in a new set of winter tires for such a short period. Using a taxi is way more convenient, cheaper and overall better.

Today was the first real snow, now it's very cold and I tried to get out some snow that was around me (nothing major).
Effects:
- mirrors starting jittering when I put it in reverse, they were frozen and couldn't go down;
- LCD has major delay;
- back windows are frozen, don't go down;
- 2 lines of battery.
- major-major slippage, couldn't move more than a few inches;
All of these were expected, except for the last point. Thought the weight would help me move decently.

My main question: what can I do to my Lexus to keep it in good conditions through these few weeks of winter? I'm particullary worried about not driving it for more than a week.

I was planning on driving it every 4-5 days for about 30 minutes or so around midnight when there's no real traffic. Since I couldn't get out tonight, guess I will postpone.

Should I consider chains? Any other tips or suggestions?

PS: I didn't want to buy winter tires even more so because I want to sell the car in a few months and get a new gs.
Hey, too bad to see that no one has quoted. My GS450h was awful in on of Canada's colder and snowy provinces (visiting Quebec). My advice to you;

1) No winter tires? Take the taxi. This car is too powerful for snow (even in Snow Mode). I spin my winter tires, no problem. And yes, I'll slip like crazy, then traction control kicks in and hits the brakes.

2) You have the right idea, get out and drive it like you mentioned. You want the car to reach operating temperature to help burn off oil contaminants. If you want your battery charge up, start the car and leave all of your electronics running (fan, A/C, defrosters etc.). Once the battery goes low enough, the engine will usually stay (idling) on to bring it back up to 2/3 charge.

3) I get the LCD, mirror and door problems, too. My suggestion is; spray some type of oil (WD-40 for instance) behind the mirrors on a warm day to help displace water. As for the windows, don't touch them until it gets warmer!
Old 01-26-13, 08:57 AM
vap3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol taking the gs450h in the winter would be a blast! no one has fun and do drifting with it??? c'mon i even drift with my prius with motomaster se tires... -_-;
Old 01-28-13, 05:13 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Strange, I live in Canada and I have none of these problems (2007 GS450h). I wonder if there is a different package for Canadian cars. My car runs the same if it's -15c or +40c.
Old 01-28-13, 05:15 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vap3
lol taking the gs450h in the winter would be a blast! no one has fun and do drifting with it??? c'mon i even drift with my prius with motomaster se tires... -_-;
I wish, but you can't disable the traction control on the GS450h, it would be amazing with the CVT. There is another thread on this somewhere. I even talked to Lexus, and they won't allow it.

I miss my GS430 for the snow, but now I also have a WRX which is a blast.
Old 01-29-13, 09:11 PM
vap3
Driver

Originally Posted by hacker_720
I wish, but you can't disable the traction control on the GS450h, it would be amazing with the CVT. There is another thread on this somewhere. I even talked to Lexus, and they won't allow it.

I miss my GS430 for the snow, but now I also have a WRX which is a blast.
strange so even if you can't disable the TRAC you can't just break traction and begin to go crazy with it? I guess with the power limiting I can see that happen... although the hybrid motors have so much torque can't you just jam the gas and begin to go nuts with it?

it seems the new gs450h 2013 can drift from its heartbeat video... so I figured the older gs450h could do the same
Old 01-31-13, 04:52 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

strange so even if you can't disable the TRAC you can't just break traction and begin to go crazy with it? I guess with the power limiting I can see that happen... although the hybrid motors have so much torque can't you just jam the gas and begin to go nuts with it?

it seems the new gs450h 2013 can drift from its heartbeat video... so I figured the older gs450h could do the same
If I can't disable traction control, then I can't "break traction", it won't let you, that's the point. You can't just jam the gas and override the traction control, if it detects wheel spin then it reduces the throttle input and may apply the breaks. Remember it's drive by wire, there is no mechanical connection between the gas peddle and the motor.

If the new GS450h actually allows you do disable traction control then I'm going to upgrade sooner than later.
Old 02-02-13, 12:45 AM
sorin9308
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRC off

What if you press the button TRC off? It was made to help you in the snow (that's what lexus says).
Old 02-04-13, 04:28 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

I am aware of the button, it is not that simple, see this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...rac-off-2.html
Old 02-06-13, 11:50 AM
vap3
Driver

Originally Posted by hacker_720
I am aware of the button, it is not that simple, see this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...rac-off-2.html
wow what a shame I've considered buying this car for the fun since my current car now is a Prius but after reading this thread I'm going to have to reconsider.... very disappointed :-(
Old 02-06-13, 01:05 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

wow what a shame I've considered buying this car for the fun since my current car now is a Prius but after reading this thread I'm going to have to reconsider.... very disappointed :-(
This one of the best cars ever made, but almost all measures, except fun...
ok, well I just noticed you said Prius - I'm sure it's more fun than a Prius. Where in Ontario are you? I would be willing to show you my car.
Old 02-07-13, 07:18 AM
vap3
Driver

i live in simcoe ontario right now, once in awhile i visit toronto to do some business but yeah be pretty cool if i check out your car! perhaps show you how to squeeze 40 mpg from it haha since i'm the mpg master to boot!

my prius has 280k on it right now, i can't get a new car until this prius dies blah if the gs450h is not FUN like you said (even though it eats mustangs for breakfast) wouldn't it make more sense to get another BORINg prius when mine dies?
Old 02-07-13, 12:07 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

i live in simcoe ontario right now, once in awhile i visit toronto to do some business but yeah be pretty cool if i check out your car! perhaps show you how to squeeze 40 mpg from it haha since i'm the mpg master to boot!

my prius has 280k on it right now, i can't get a new car until this prius dies blah if the gs450h is not FUN like you said (even though it eats mustangs for breakfast) wouldn't it make more sense to get another BORINg prius when mine dies?
I actually live in Kitchener (I used to live in Toronto), but that's still a ways from Simcoe.
Best MPG I've gotten was about 35mpg and that was hard enough, I didn't purchase it to get good gas mileage, that's not what this car is about. I have a loner HS250h from lexus today and I got 39mpg at one point (tank average) when I was trying.

It's hard to explain why someone should purchase a hybrid that only gets ~27mpg. It's not hard to understand why once you drive it, it's just hard to explain. It is not the same kind of car as the Prius, it's not a "hybrid" in the sense that it's trying to be "green". It's a performance luxury sedan. Do not purchase this car for the gas millage, you will be disappointed.

- Steve
Old 02-08-13, 09:01 AM
vap3
Driver

i understand it is a performance hybrid... the idea of eating mustangs or 350z for lunch makes me tingle with delight! although since it is a hybrid a dual persona is possible and being able to save on gas is a nice touch...

the way i see it say my prius gets 50 mpg and if i drive ur gs450h i get 35 mpg, i will gladly sacrifice some mpg to smoke someone if i see fit (5.5 sec to 100 km/hr vs 11 sec to 100km/hr in my prius)

Although RWD is all about over steering and counter steering and not being able to disable the stability control (traction control i can understand since the electric motors can rip the tranny apart if torque isn't limited) really makes the RWD useless....

although the luxury is nice i will admit

kitchener is not too bad, perhaps one day i will say hi if i travel there for any reason
Old 02-15-13, 06:12 AM
LexFather

Do you have snow tires? The car has 245/45/18 stock, not ideal for snow.

Quick Reply: Winter in the GS450h