Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Back heat above battery serious heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-12, 01:18 AM
redjdm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back heat above battery serious heat issue

Hi Guys,

Just test drove a GS450H yesterday. I liked the car. However there is this serious issue at the back seat. After about 30-45 mins of driving. I found out that there is a significant amount of heat came from behind or below the back seat. Which heated up the back seats quite badly. It felt exactly the same as you turn on your heated seat to the max in the front.

Any other hybrid owner with the same experience? Solution?
Please comment on this as it's making me change my mind. I do not want to slowly cook my kids to death.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-12, 08:18 AM
chuckyarla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redjdm
Hi Guys,

Just test drove a GS450H yesterday. I liked the car. However there is this serious issue at the back seat. After about 30-45 mins of driving. I found out that there is a significant amount of heat came from behind or below the back seat. Which heated up the back seats quite badly. It felt exactly the same as you turn on your heated seat to the max in the front.

Any other hybrid owner with the same experience? Solution?
Please comment on this as it's making me change my mind. I do not want to slowly cook my kids to death.

Thanks guys!
Never noticed it. I'll try and check it out.
Old 11-04-12, 02:34 PM
Splashman
Driver School Candidate

I never noticed either. I've had a couple of back seat passengers this summer and they never mentioned any problem.

Last edited by Splashman; 11-04-12 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-04-12, 05:23 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Is it the actual seat heaters being turned on???
Old 11-04-12, 08:29 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds like a problem. Even though you didn't buy the car it should be brought to the attention of Lexus corporate. If in fact it wasn't the seat heater that was activated. And no... We would not want you to cook your kids.
Old 11-05-12, 12:45 AM
redjdm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys.

For your information I'm living in Hong Kong. I confirmed with the salesperson that there are no heated seat at the back of the gs here. There must be an issue if there is no such a problem for you guys. Thanks for the information and ill talk to the dealer and see if that's a problem they can resolve.
Old 04-18-14, 01:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I am undecided between the linear torque curve and future proof fuel efficiency of the GS450h, and the lighter weight handling of the GS350. Is the battery in the 450h located behind the rear seats, or is it located under the boot lining? I'm just investigating the potential for Lexus to offer fold down rear seats for the 4GS since it is the same platform as the 3IS, which does have fold down rear seats. Or has the 2014 received fold down rear seats already? I've been busy and off this forum for a while, so I'm not up to date with knowledge...
Old 05-08-14, 04:14 PM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

2014 GS350 does not have folding rear seats, but does have a small passthrough for skis and whatnot. The 450h doesn't get the passthrough because the battery pack is there.
Old 05-16-14, 04:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Thanks for that...
Old 04-11-18, 11:58 PM
Dannyisla
Driver School Candidate

Default Back Heat above battery

Originally Posted by redjdm
Thanks for the replies guys.

For your information I'm living in Hong Kong. I confirmed with the salesperson that there are no heated seat at the back of the gs here. There must be an issue if there is no such a problem for you guys. Thanks for the information and ill talk to the dealer and see if that's a problem they can resolve.
Hi! I have the same awful experience with my 2012 GS450h..the back seat becomes hot after some minutes of driving Isn't there a counter measure for this problem. I live in a tropical county, the Philippines and the warm temperature in my country is aggravated by this heat emanating from the back cabin of my GS450h Please advise Thanks.
Old 04-29-18, 05:58 PM
Calsenator
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default its happened t me atleast once before

I was doing a roadtrip and that's when my passenger in the back mentioned it. But it seemed like it was the person on the passenger side that noticed it. And it was after I had to do giant mountain climb and decent and i definately when full throttle then watch my battery get charged to the max. I think its normal as that is where the battery is at and its normal for it to get warm. The battery depends on the cabin temperatures to cool down so you have to turn on the AC and not block the vent in the back seat. But no one's ever said anything when I drive on regular highways even for an hour. I'm gonna bring a thermo gun and drive with it to see for a while
Old 04-29-18, 06:53 PM
Dannyisla
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. I live in the Philippines, a tropical country. This is probably the reason why the heat emanating from the battery is uncomfortably bothersome. I hope a permanent counter measure from Lexus HQ becomes available.
Old 05-02-22, 05:37 AM
AuToVisioN
Driver School Candidate

Default Did anyone ever find the solution to this issue?

Bad seat very hot after long trips. I know it's the location of the hybrid Battery, is this normal? Or must I have dealer take a look?. I appreciate whatever help u guys can offer
Old 05-22-22, 03:31 AM
Lead Lap

Received 749 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by AuToVisioN
Bad seat very hot after long trips. I know it's the location of the hybrid Battery, is this normal? Or must I have dealer take a look?. I appreciate whatever help u guys can offer
no, not normal. Seats should be cool to touch. What exactly is the temperature of the batteries? The batteries are also air cooled and exhausted out.