Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

My new 450h ready for collection

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 09:38 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alpy64
Strange arrangements on the trunk!
Is there anything below the large panel?
Can you open it and make additional pics?

WHich area in South Africa?
We get the full spare wheel size, as a result the trunk gets reduced by it. Will take some pics of the full spare wheel.
Old 08-18-12, 09:40 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alpy64
Oh I forgot... very very nice color int.ext.
Excellent choice and have fun now, drive cool and safely!

Thanks. I'm actually in Johannesburg.
Old 08-18-12, 09:44 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
Great looking ride.

On iPod Video. I don't believe video is supported by anything other than a DVD with the ML system. This 2013 doc on p262 infers only audio is supported by iPods (and iPhones) "iPod enables users to enjoy music from the vehicle speakers." If video would be supported, I suspect as Alpy says and for DVDs, you'd have to be parked with the brake set unless you first install 3rd party override products (see other threads for detail).
Initially I thought that the parking brake had to be applied also, I'm assuming that only audio from the video is supported. On the 2010 version we had the hard drive option, it's been removed in this version.
Old 08-18-12, 09:48 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markrivers
Congratulations on your new Ride!
Something looks out of place..the steering wheel..it should be on the LEFT! LOL!
Kidding aside, it's a great exterior/interior combination.
now, stop reading and enjoy!
LOL. Every time I'm at the States side, my son always tells me that the driver is sitting on the wrong side. It's nitetime this side and chilly, tomorrow I'm planning on taking her out for a joy ride.
Old 08-18-12, 02:55 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the updated front end and LED running lights. Your new RX450h looks awesome.
Old 08-19-12, 03:19 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Trunk, as promised...
Attached Thumbnails My new 450h ready for collection-rx450.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-04-18)
Old 08-19-12, 05:04 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the photo. Wow -- a full-size spare -- it's a monster! Its so interesting to see the differences companies like Lexus put in for either legal or marketing reasons so they can deliver product in other countries. ENJOY THAT RIDE! Looks fantastic.
Old 08-19-12, 07:36 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the photo, I always wondered what the full size spare version looked like. I think I'm happy with my crappy temp tire.
Old 08-19-12, 08:07 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Thanks for the photo, I always wondered what the full size spare version looked like. I think I'm happy with my crappy temp tire.
Me too, especially considering one of my other considerations was a Cadillac SRX that only comes with a can of "Fix a Flat" unless you order a $400 mini spare thru the parts department.
Old 08-19-12, 11:44 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shanmand
Trunk, as promised...
Many thanks for the pic of the trunk.
Wheel is same size as mine (2010 model) but as you say, space (volume) for loading lug ages is a bit reduced by this new design.

Excellent combination for interior (mine is bright grey leisure seats with wood (steering whell included... see some pics in that forum).

Joburg is nice (also went to Port Elisabeth) for business in 2008.

now have fun with this excellent car.
Al
Old 08-19-12, 11:51 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure about the roads where you are but geographically you might need a full size spare more than here in the states where you're probably never more than an hour or so from a tire dealer. But I do miss the full size spare my 03 RX had. Personally I'd give up the space or wish it was on the bottom like the full size in the Highlander.
Trunk, as promised...
Old 08-19-12, 12:35 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Trunk, as promised...
Thanks for the excellent photo of the trunk. Shows a full size spare can be added with minimal space reduction in the RX. We would love to have a full size spare due to extensive traveling, and on many back roads. Seems safer to be able to drive a longer distance if needed, and at normal speed limits, to find an open repair location. Also, if you like the tires, you only have to buy 3 when needing a new set eventually. We did it once on our 2000 Lexus (Michelins),
Old 08-20-12, 02:05 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'm not sure about the roads where you are but geographically you might need a full size spare more than here in the states where you're probably never more than an hour or so from a tire dealer. But I do miss the full size spare my 03 RX had. Personally I'd give up the space or wish it was on the bottom like the full size in the Highlander.
Honestly we complain a lot here in South Africa about the state of our roads, but after being to New York City, I realised that we are almost the same. There was a debate when they were launching the 2010 here as to whether they should bring the full size spare or not. Lexus South Africa said they chose not to compromise the luxury look of the Lexus by fitting a small size spare. On Sundays or Saturdays after 13:00 you'd be hard pressed to find an open tyre dealer, that will mean that you'd have to wait till Monday to fix your tyre.

On Saturday I saw a Cayenne that had a puncture they do not even give them a spare, he actually had to take off the tyre and hitchhike to the nearest petrol station to have it repaired. Imagine if it was not repairable then he'd have to be towed and then wait for Monday to have it replaced. So I'm happy with losing a bit of space for the luxury of not having to stop my trip .
Old 08-21-12, 07:35 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Full size spare is one option we won't see in the States side.
Old 08-27-12, 01:12 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wyau01
Full size spare is one option we won't see in the States side.
In Europe most if spare tires are small one because road quality is good and getting puncture us very rare. Lexus has decided to equip RX's with the small wheel (unfortunately ) but also because on the RX gen II full size spare wheels attached under the trunk and accessible from outside were often stolen: Real cause of having switched to the small size according to my Lexus carDealer (for Europe).
The full size tire was not available (as an option) in Europe for models 2010 to 2012.

Last edited by Alpy64; 08-27-12 at 01:16 AM.

Quick Reply: My new 450h ready for collection