Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

100.000 km revision

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 11:32 AM
GS450h2007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100.000 km revision

Hi there, I got a 450h from 2007, I've owned it for about 4-5 months and I totally love it.
I'm from Europe and I got it second hand from some one who brings a lot of Lexus cars from Belgium and Germany.

I've hit 100.000 km and I want to check it out, to see what it needs. I'm not great with cars, I'm 24 and since there aren't a lot of hybrids from where I'm from, a lot of mechanics have no idea about them. So I don't want to get ripped off.

Last revision was 1 year 1 month ago at 80.000 km. Is there any way to find out what parts were changed?

I'm wondering what you guys suggest I specifically look for. The car seems in great condition, the only thing that might be better are the brakes. They don't squeek but they don't seem very sharp either.

Secondly, I want to keep this car for at least 1 more year since I really enjoy it, but I'm nervous about the battery. I've read a lot on the forum about the reliability and Lexus's unwritten replacement. Think that applies to my car since I've got it second hand?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-12, 07:37 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

You should check, your brakes, brake fluid, your spark plugs are due to change, I'd replace the coolant fluid unless already changed. The battery is covered for 8 Years so I believe you should be covered tell 2015 but double check that. Your timing belt and water pump you shouldn't have to worry about at this time.
Old 10-15-12, 09:22 AM
GS450h2007
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the info.
2 things are bothering me:
a) the right headlight doesn't always turn on. I'm on "auto" and this seems to happen when it's in the evening (not too dark, not too bright) thou I'm not 100% sure. If I switch off, then on, it's fine.
I'm very worried since I have a friend with an IS who took it to the services and said he should replace the entire headlight (which is very pricey) otherwise something will burn and it will be more expensive. Hype or fact?

LE: I see people are saying they just replaced the bulb and that was it, but since I'm not in warranty and I've read bulbs burning 2 minutes after they were installed, this worries me. Is there a specific bulb I need to search for? I'd like to browse for prices in my area.
LLE: How can I find out what type of bulb do I need? D3S, D2? Etc.

b) This happens rare, but sometimes the car shakes/trembles whilst stopping in city traffic. Checked the battery and I always have at least 3 so it's not charging. Might mean there are problems?

Going back to the checklist, what about the engine oil? I have no idea what current oil I have. Does that mean I need to completely change it? If so, how many liters will I need?

Again, not very good with cars, thus the maybe very obvious questions.

Last edited by GS450h2007; 10-15-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-15-12, 11:22 AM
bigblack06

A. This would be hard to get covered under warrranty but if anything you may need to replace the ballast or the which is cheaper than a whole headlight unit. The bulb would be D4S, the car shaking sounds like your rotors or your alignment. Yes you could change the oil if needed.
Old 10-16-12, 01:59 PM
GS450h2007
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm, D4S you say. This is quite cheap here - it's about $30. I've seen D3S at 3-4 timse that price. Are you sure this is the specific bulb model used for the GS?

Thing is, if it's a bad bulb and it only costs this much, I'm not worried at all about it. What worries me is what that mechanic told my friend - that if I don't do something it might burn...the whole thing. It's hearsay so the info is not very specific.

Still love my car very much and its stock wheels are amazing
Old 10-17-12, 10:22 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by GS450h2007
Hmmm, D4S you say. This is quite cheap here - it's about $30. I've seen D3S at 3-4 timse that price. Are you sure this is the specific bulb model used for the GS?

Thing is, if it's a bad bulb and it only costs this much, I'm not worried at all about it. What worries me is what that mechanic told my friend - that if I don't do something it might burn...the whole thing. It's hearsay so the info is not very specific.

Still love my car very much and its stock wheels are amazing
yes im sure.
Old 10-19-12, 01:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

b) This happens rare, but sometimes the car shakes/trembles whilst stopping in city traffic. Checked the battery and I always have at least 3 so it's not charging. Might mean there are problems?
if you are saying you see 3 bars on your hybrid traction battery, that is normal. you do not always get full bars (i certainly do not). as long as you can see that the traction battery is being recharged as you drive, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 11-05-12, 09:31 AM
GS450h2007
Driver School Candidate

Finally I had some time to go to the shop, not official Lexus, but somewhere a friend says they're great.
Anyway: car very solid, no problems, replaced a bulb (not xenon, a small one, very cheap).
Need to change oil, oil filter, air filter, maybe polen (didn't show me), brake pads on the front, the back ones had a lot of "meat" on them.

Prices:
- they recommended TRW brake pads - around $80 around here. I gotta buy my own, they can't get it.
- oil: they said 6,3 liters so I gotta buy 7 which is about $120. Do I really need that much?
- oil filter - $12
- air filter - $18
- polen filter - $22
- labour - $52

3 problems:
- breaks squeak and that's normal since the front ones are worn, they guy said I could go another 5k km with them but best if I change them. When in drive and foot on the break (in an intersection, waiting for an opening) there is a very distinctive sound, like metal gripping and grinding. The guy looked, heard the sound, says is the brake pads. Anyone had this problem? This is my main concern. It really bothers me.

- the xenon bulb, it's still working, sometimes it doesn't go on, I close them, then back on and it's up. My friend with an IS had the same issue (thou his was closing even after the "reset"), tried a different bulb and that did the same. A guy dealing with Xenons for a long time said a good, original bulb was about 300 euro ($400-450) and only that would work.

- last one: key battery. Can't find anywhere a guy to change it. Can you guys help me with what type of battery should I look for and how should I replace it? I know if you leave it a bit without battery the memory might go and I'd end up with a useless key.

Thank you.
Old 11-05-12, 01:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

3 problems:
- breaks squeak and that's normal since the front ones are worn, they guy said I could go another 5k km with them but best if I change them. When in drive and foot on the break (in an intersection, waiting for an opening) there is a very distinctive sound, like metal gripping and grinding. The guy looked, heard the sound, says is the brake pads. Anyone had this problem? This is my main concern. It really bothers me.
squeaky brakes are normal, see the following links below. your best option to get rid of the brake sqeak noise is to change them to quiet aftermarket brake pads

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...hat-to-do.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...il-change.html

- the xenon bulb, it's still working, sometimes it doesn't go on, I close them, then back on and it's up. My friend with an IS had the same issue (thou his was closing even after the "reset"), tried a different bulb and that did the same. A guy dealing with Xenons for a long time said a good, original bulb was about 300 euro ($400-450) and only that would work.
contact our CL vendors here, they can get bulbs you need at a good price. carson toyota and sewell lexus comes to mind.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vendor_directory.php

- last one: key battery. Can't find anywhere a guy to change it. Can you guys help me with what type of battery should I look for and how should I replace it? I know if you leave it a bit without battery the memory might go and I'd end up with a useless key.
see this link for key battery size:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...y-battery.html

most of your questions can be answered by searching the 3GS forum for the answer. i recommend you become familiar with the search function, it will go a long way to help you get the most help.
Old 11-29-12, 07:33 AM
vap3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the car have a timing belt or a timing chain?
Old 11-29-12, 08:00 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by vap3
does the car have a timing belt or a timing chain?
Timing chain.
The following users liked this post:
vap3 (10-15-18)