Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

D2S Xenon bulb replacement on RX400h -> How to?

Old 06-27-12, 11:36 PM
vertti
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D2S Xenon bulb replacement on RX400h -> How to?

Hi all!

Time to replace the Xenon bulbs on my hybrid, but can't find much info on how to do it.

I am able to get as far as wiggling the actual base of the bulb, but as I cannot really see in there I don't know how to release the bulb. Does anyone have any pointers for me? Do I actually need to take out the whole 'light installation' or whatsamacallit...?

vertti
Old 06-28-12, 02:58 AM
vertti
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to be practical about this.... I'll open the hood once more and take a few pics on my iPhone to actually SEE what's inside.

I'll take it from there. Wish me luck
The following users liked this post:
BklynJay (07-28-18)
Old 07-30-12, 02:51 AM
vertti
Driver School Candidate

Ok,

got it done. Already some time ago, but did not get to update until now. I did not find any nice tutorials about this, and Youtube had nada about this, so I thought I’d share my experience. Here in Finland this saved me some 200 euros, so it was definitely worth to change the xenon bulbs myself.

I purchased the D2S xenon bulbs and got to work. Firs open the hood. You still with me?

On drivers side I had to remove the plastic plate held with three clips. Then move the a fuse box out of the way. It slides up after releasing a lock clip or whatsamacallit.

Then for the hard part. First I had to detach the electric connector. The connector is easy to spot. It sits on the plastic top. The is a clip for the connector to sit on, but mine had come off of it. I've heard that the electricity kills, so make sure you have the xenon bulb off-line when tampering with it. I repeat: DETACH THE ELECTRIC CONNECTOR BEFORE TOUCHING THE INTERNALS.

The light bulb is inside a box that is covered with a plastic top. The top opens with a twist, can't remember the direction. It was rather tight, as I think it had not been opened before. Give it a firm treatment and it will open.

There is REALLY limited space to operate here and it's nearly impossible to see inside the plastic housing. I took pics with my iPhone to see what’s inside.

First inside is another electric connector, which feeds the xenon bulb. The connector needs a very light twist to come of. Once it comes off you can see and feel the back-end of the bulb.

There are two retaining springs holding the bulb in place. Take a pic to see exactly what it's like, to figure out how to open yours. The bulb will come out easily once the clips are open. Remember the position of the bulb and insert a new one the same way. Put everything back in reverse order.

The other side is pretty similar. There I removed the plastic plates covering the battery and some other components. The windscreen washing liquid filling hose comes up and to the side quite nicely. Make as much room for yourself as possible and get to the first electric connector. The it's just like the other side.

Note: Mine has Xenon only for the low beams, so I don't know how bi-xenons would be changed.

Hope you find this helpful.
The following 2 users liked this post by vertti:
T900RR (12-17-18), tylerho123 (05-21-23)
Old 01-01-20, 09:20 AM
96zenki
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertti
Ok,

got it done. Already some time ago, but did not get to update until now. I did not find any nice tutorials about this, and Youtube had nada about this, so I thought I’d share my experience. Here in Finland this saved me some 200 euros, so it was definitely worth to change the xenon bulbs myself.

I purchased the D2S xenon bulbs and got to work. Firs open the hood. You still with me?

On drivers side I had to remove the plastic plate held with three clips. Then move the a fuse box out of the way. It slides up after releasing a lock clip or whatsamacallit.

Then for the hard part. First I had to detach the electric connector. The connector is easy to spot. It sits on the plastic top. The is a clip for the connector to sit on, but mine had come off of it. I've heard that the electricity kills, so make sure you have the xenon bulb off-line when tampering with it. I repeat: DETACH THE ELECTRIC CONNECTOR BEFORE TOUCHING THE INTERNALS.

The light bulb is inside a box that is covered with a plastic top. The top opens with a twist, can't remember the direction. It was rather tight, as I think it had not been opened before. Give it a firm treatment and it will open.

There is REALLY limited space to operate here and it's nearly impossible to see inside the plastic housing. I took pics with my iPhone to see what’s inside.

First inside is another electric connector, which feeds the xenon bulb. The connector needs a very light twist to come of. Once it comes off you can see and feel the back-end of the bulb.

There are two retaining springs holding the bulb in place. Take a pic to see exactly what it's like, to figure out how to open yours. The bulb will come out easily once the clips are open. Remember the position of the bulb and insert a new one the same way. Put everything back in reverse order.

The other side is pretty similar. There I removed the plastic plates covering the battery and some other components. The windscreen washing liquid filling hose comes up and to the side quite nicely. Make as much room for yourself as possible and get to the first electric connector. The it's just like the other side.

Note: Mine has Xenon only for the low beams, so I don't know how bi-xenons would be changed.

Hope you find this helpful.
so I just changed my bulbs today and have not found any real good instruction however i will sat this. It's damn impossible to do this without taking out the headlights first. There is no way in he'll you can get your hands in there without having baby hands !
Old 01-01-20, 10:17 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Remove bumper cover and remove headlight.
Old 04-23-20, 09:42 PM
Phoenix82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the 2 clips that hold the bulb. It took me a while to take a picture and recognize how to remove the bulb, as there is no space to directly look inside the housing. I did this without removing the headlight unit.
The following users liked this post:
tylerho123 (05-21-23)