Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

gs450h in heavily congested traffic

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 05:15 AM
dbonner
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gs450h in heavily congested traffic

Hi, I live in the Paris area, and I am considering a used gs450h as second car, so I don't have to share with my wife. I see them on sale in the 16.5 to 20K euro range for a 2007-2008 model. I will enter another thread about the infamous "how high a mileage to buy", this thread is about how to use the car. I have a question about driving in heavy congestion. I sometimes get stuck for an hour on the infamous "périphérique" (paris ring road) with a total distance travelled of about 5 kilometers (walking pace average speed, stop+go). Does anyone here have experience with these driving conditions in a gs450h? does it manage to keep the gasoline engine running only a small fraction of the time? About how much of the time does it run, 20%, 50%? Can it get mileage in a league with a small 4 cylinder city car in this kind of traffic? Assume that the weather is temperate so there is not that much heating or air conditioning to do. I'm not so concerned about the actual cost of gasoline as with a pride of having the "right tool for the right use" which in my case is on weekends going for a blast in the country ,and then getting stuck in this zero to 10 mph stop and go regime on tuesday evenings going to Aikido class with my daughter. Obviously it's a dream car for the weekend blast, but it it could be a good tool for both, then it would be heaven. By the way that tuesday afternoon commute is not practical in public transport, and my usual everyday commute is 15 minutes and not very congested. Thanks, David
Old 01-23-14, 01:11 PM
Motik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi dbonner,

I live in the Paris area too and own a GS450H. I use it everyday to go to work and my average is around 9 l/100 km. In heavy traffic it can climb slightly above 10 l/100 km.

I couldn't tell you how often the engine runs in traffic as it's so silent you don't notice the difference. But I'm sure it's off most of the time when your in stop & go traffic. Of course in winter it will be on more often to maintain a cosy temperature inside the car.

Another point: this is a great car to be in traffic jams with

Hope that helps.

Motik
Old 01-25-14, 05:48 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

damn youre both from paris? hook it up with a goyard mens wallet lol
Old 05-26-14, 01:17 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It will turn on and off frequently in heavy traffic, maybe every 5 to 10min the engine will run for 5 to 10min. You won't notice though so no worries. I once sat in stop and go traffic for 4 hours and there was no issue. The only time you will notice is if you are parked idling, then you can feel it start and stop.

It's an amazing car, don't hesitate to get it.
Old 05-26-14, 01:53 PM
GAZA4Life
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by Motik
Hi dbonner,

I live in the Paris area too and own a GS450H. I use it everyday to go to work and my average is around 9 l/100 km. In heavy traffic it can climb slightly above 10 l/100 km.

I couldn't tell you how often the engine runs in traffic as it's so silent you don't notice the difference. But I'm sure it's off most of the time when your in stop & go traffic. Of course in winter it will be on more often to maintain a cosy temperature inside the car.

Another point: this is a great car to be in traffic jams with

Hope that helps.

Motik
Lucky you guys- Club Lexus French Connection " sounds cool" but the 450H is a amazing car like stated above. If you can get one jump on it....