Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX400H with 135,000+ miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 06:10 PM
lfint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX400H with 135,000+ miles

My 2006 RX400H is currently sitting at over 136K miles. I love the car and would like to keep it, but the way I'm going, I'll be over 200K before the car is paid off. I want to see if anyone knows a life expectancy for the 400H or if there is anyone out there with more mileage?
Thanks
Old 09-01-10, 10:32 AM
lfint
Driver School Candidate

BTW, for all who are wondering: Still runs great, no battery problems (shhh), still get 25+ mpg, the only part i've had to replace is a windshield washer motor and the tires. I do the regular maintenance/oil changes, and use premium gas (93 octane) from Shell or Chevron only. I use to use the cheap to mid gas or any gas station (when gas was nearly $4/gallon), but noticed a little knocking, so I switched back to the premium. Hope that helps others out there!
Old 09-02-10, 07:48 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats good to hear... I have 48k miles on mine and debating on whether I should keep it for the long haul or sell it before the warranty expires
Old 09-26-10, 06:20 AM
ColdLexus
Driver

Thanks for the info lfint.
We are about 32k into our 2008 400h and like to hear of few durability issues.
Old 09-27-10, 11:59 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it until the wheels fall off.

Have you replaced the timing belt and water pump?
Old 09-27-10, 01:07 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by prowler97
I hope he has or I smell a big repair bill.
Old 09-27-10, 08:11 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

lfint,

Don't mean to go political on you, but maybe you should reconsider using Shell Oil products:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...-more-oil-iran
Old 09-28-10, 02:06 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know if they even replace the water pump when doing the timing belt? Only reason I ask is that the water pump on the 400h is electric, not your traditional belt or gear driven pump. I imagine the reasoning behind changing it might be the same (they are already in there to get at the timing belt, why not change the water pump), but I don't know if the electric water pump suffers from the same wear as a traditional water pump (worn bearings I guess being the most common).
Old 09-28-10, 09:11 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Originally Posted by rcy
Does anyone know if they even replace the water pump when doing the timing belt? Only reason I ask is that the water pump on the 400h is electric, not your traditional belt or gear driven pump. I imagine the reasoning behind changing it might be the same (they are already in there to get at the timing belt, why not change the water pump), but I don't know if the electric water pump suffers from the same wear as a traditional water pump (worn bearings I guess being the most common).
If the water pump is electric motor driven, then I would not worry about changing it. Water pump failures are typically bearing and/or mechanical seal failures which I believe are caused or exacerbated by the radial forces imposed by the pully/ belt drive, which are not present if in fact it is electric driven. Also, the water pump is typically changed with the timing belt since most of the labor to replace the pump is needed to replace the timing belt.

re. the comment about big repair bills if timing belt not changed. This is true for an interference engine where a failed timing belt can cause the pistons to contact the valves resulting in bent valve stems or damaged pistons. I believe that these are non-interference engines, meaning no additional engine damage will occur if the belt fails in service- just inconvenience and towing charges. Repair costs should be the same as with a planned replacement.
Old 09-30-10, 12:18 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

My mistake, there is a traditional water pump for this engine driven by the timing belt. The electric pump that I'm thinking of (the auxiliary pump - see below) keeps the coolant circulating even when the engine if off (but the car is in READY mode) so that cabin heat can be maintained.

Just did a quick online part search...there is a water pump for $97.80 and an 'auxiliary water pump' for $482.18. There is also the water pump for the hybrid side of things (the one that pumps coolant through the inverter) that is $392. The inverter pump is electric for sure and isn't anywhere near the timing belt.
Old 09-30-10, 09:35 AM
prowler97
Rookie

I did some digging on the internet about the toyota 3.3L V6, which is in the 400h and this is what I found:

The 3.3L 3MZ-FE engine is a rare example of a Toyota engine with timing belt that is an interference. In most cases, Toyota engines with belts are non-interference, but the 3MZ is a rare exception.

FYI: The 3.5L that is in the 450h has a timing chain. I find it interesting that import cars are going back to using timing chains.
Old 09-30-10, 09:50 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Interesting. My Subaru Outback (gone now) with the H6 was also a chain.

Decision time now..$600 for timing belt job, or.....$60000 for a 450h to save the $600 on the timing belt...lol.
Old 10-04-10, 02:33 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
Interesting. My Subaru Outback (gone now) with the H6 was also a chain.

Decision time now..$600 for timing belt job, or.....$60000 for a 450h to save the $600 on the timing belt...lol.
i know at the dealership, the timing belt + water pump costs more than $600!
Old 10-04-10, 02:58 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

I called the Lexus dealer and the Toyota dealer near where I live. Lexus was $600 (timing belt only, no water pump). Toyota was $500 (again, timing belt only). Both said they inspect the water pump, but in their experience, they usually are not weeping etc., and can be left in till the next timing belt change.
Old 10-24-10, 07:29 PM
lfint
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by prowler97
Drive it until the wheels fall off.

@Brian- ummmmm.... I've done all the standard 30/60/90/120 maintenance and everything in-between. They have never told me that they replaced the timing belt or water pump. Is this something that they would be inspecting during my oil changes etc? BTW (not to be stereotypical), but I'm female and wouldn't know a water pump if it hit me in the face So please take this as a serious question. Thanks

Quick Reply: RX400H with 135,000+ miles