Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Hybrid Fail/Dealer Service clowning.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 10:51 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Hybrid Fail/Dealer Service clowning.

Just started the car and the check hybrid system came on. Perfect weekend nightmare.
Attached Thumbnails Hybrid Fail/Dealer Service clowning.-gauge.jpg  

Last edited by neurocity; 01-07-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 12:14 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Pulled the 12v battery for 45min. Reconnected and error went away. Drove around the block...got on it a bit. Seems okay...but still going into the dealership Monday morning.

Last edited by neurocity; 01-07-12 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 01:44 PM
Push
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting keep us posted!
Old 01-07-12, 04:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sorry to see that matt hope it's just a glitch
Old 01-07-12, 05:55 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Just started the car and the check hybrid system came on. Perfect weekend nightmare.
Sounds like the same situation as me, they told me the ECU had a recall and needed to recalibrate the ECU. Got scared out of mind, but I'll try to find the service paper to show you. Hope its the same issue.
Old 01-07-12, 06:41 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Hope its under warranty...that could get spendy....
Old 01-07-12, 07:02 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

59k on the odo. So your covered.

Just an FYI- I've been reading quite a bit on the hybrids and I read that you shouldn't leave them parked too long. That bat is not made to fully discharge. I've heard quite a few say that they park them in the winter.
Old 01-07-12, 09:05 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by L8Apex

Just an FYI- I've been reading quite a bit on the hybrids and I read that you shouldn't leave them parked too long. That bat is not made to fully discharge. I've heard quite a few say that they park them in the winter.
I drive the hell out of this car. When I was in Florida for 2 weeks, I had my Aunt driving it to keep it active.

I will let everyone know the outcome Monday.
Old 01-08-12, 08:13 AM
bigblack06

Actually I had it parked last winter with no problems and no issues, the only thing that occured was that the car was cold other than that its been good to me
Old 01-08-12, 01:38 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Actually I had it parked last winter with no problems and no issues, the only thing that occured was that the car was cold other than that its been good to me
Thats good to hear. I understand that auto makers are typically over cautious with things like this. But that information is in the quick guide of your 450h. I believe it reads not to let the car sit for 30 days or you may have to have the battery serviced by Lexus.
Old 01-08-12, 05:48 PM
bigblack06

Thats good to hear. I understand that auto makers are typically over cautious with things like this. But that information is in the quick guide of your 450h. I believe it reads not to let the car sit for 30 days or you may have to have the battery serviced by Lexus.
Yeah this is true the dealership told me this when I picked up the keys, but last winter with all the snow we had it lasted pretty good for the 45 days I couldn't drive it. Started up no breeze, actually was looking for a battery tender cause I was worried about the same thing.
Old 01-09-12, 07:08 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Dropped off the car at McGrath Lex of Westmont. Rolling hardcore in a ES350 loaner. I can say for sure that I will never own one of these. The GS is way way nicer. But its nice of them to let me drive it while mine gets "the scope"

Side note. If anyone ever comes to Chicago. Hit this dealership up. Its got to be the nicest dealership I've been in. Everything is just top end in this place. The center waiting room looks like a library with cars surrounding it. I passed 3 other dealers to get to this place.

The diagnosis waiting begins.
Old 01-09-12, 10:55 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

So apparently both my rear calipers are seized. BOTH...

Odd because the car braked fine, But the pads are worn to nothing on the inside....so I'm being told.

Im wondering if the calipers are seized or do they just need to be lubed and worked over.
Old 01-09-12, 01:05 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Was that it? Did the batt, Ecu, and all other hybrid systems test OK?
Old 01-09-12, 01:20 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Lets just say that I'm having a serious problem with whats going on, mainly what the tech and the SA are telling me.

First I'm told that because I pulled the battery cable...codes were erased. Okay.

Then I'm told that both calipers were seized. After I question things... I'm told that the sliders were actually seized. (TSB issued for that) granted I'm 8k and 4 months out of the OEM warranty.

I'm told that the pads are a few bucks shy of $100, rotor turning labor is 1hr $135. Extended warranty deductible on 2 new calipers is $200.

Then a little birdy gives me this.

Which I then grab my VIN (XXXXXXXXXX5001893) And thanks to fellow moderators gallery upload of this.

I find that all this stuff that I'm paying for...should have been covered. Especially when I had asked the tech to check the brakes when I was in for an oil change 5 weeks ago at the same place. I was told that the brakes and the car looked fine.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Fail/Dealer Service clowning.