ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-213/)
-   -   Damn vandals (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/585482-damn-vandals.html)

sleepysurf 08-06-11 03:03 PM

Damn vandals

1 Attachment(s)
Got home from work today and noticed my car had been vandalized. Not exactly sure, but I presume what they stole are the front bumper crash sensors (located behind those square bumper plugs). BOTH were gone, with just open holes left in the bumper. Can somebody confirm what sensors they took, and how much replacement might be. Unfortunately, working late all week, so can't f/u with my dealer for a few days. At least they didn't steal anything else (as far as I can tell). I'm going to follow up with the security folks at work, but I doubt they had video cameras in the garage.

DunWkg 08-06-11 03:22 PM

Only guessing - but aren't those the holes to screw in the tow hooks?

ecub 08-06-11 04:00 PM

It's not worth replacing. You might as well junk your car or just buy a new one. Those things are expensive. :D

j/k. Yeah, I'm sure those are for the tow. You probably just need to replace those covers.

DunWkg 08-06-11 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Someone just borrowed the covers.

Attachment 218637

RXSF 08-06-11 04:56 PM

yep the tow hooks. I dont know where you might find replacements for them though. They are just cheap plastic covers

sleepysurf 08-06-11 06:40 PM

Whew! I assumed the worst. Glad to hear there's nothing of value behind them! Wouldn't surprise me if Lexus tells me the replacements are $75 each :D.

Still can't believe somebody would bother popping them off.

snhrph 08-06-11 06:48 PM

Just pop them off someone else's car when no one is looking... :)

DunWkg 08-06-11 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by RXSF (Post 6589174)
yep the tow hooks. I dont know where you might find replacements for them though. They are just cheap plastic covers

I don't know, but I think those of you with Matador Red cars should stay parked in a locked garage for awhile. This sounds like something with a domino effect.

:sad:

kitlz 08-06-11 07:06 PM

Maybe they wanted the tow hooks for earrings.

In all seriousness, that bites. I checked a Lexus parts website and the covers are inexpensive, the tow hooks not so much. Contact Sewell to see what they can do for you and skip the dealer. Good luck.

ecub 08-06-11 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by DunWkg (Post 6589358)
I don't know, but I think those of you with Matador Red cars should stay parked in a locked garage for awhile. This sounds like something with a domino effect.

:sad:

LOL. Well, at least in Florida.

Originally Posted by kitlz (Post 6589383)
Maybe they wanted the tow hooks for earrings.

In all seriousness, that bites. I checked a Lexus parts website and the covers are inexpensive, the tow hooks not so much. Contact Sewell to see what they can do for you and skip the dealer. Good luck.

You won't need to toy eyelets, unless your towing it. Otherwise, the OP is just missing the plastic covers.

kitlz 08-07-11 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ecub (Post 6589570)
You won't need to toy eyelets, unless your towing it. Otherwise, the OP is just missing the plastic covers.

That wouldn't fly with me. I'm too anal :p They might just sit in there unused but it would drive me crazy knowing they're missing.

DunWkg 08-07-11 06:55 AM

I'm a think'n the eyelets are stored buried in the back with jack and spare tire. Ya gotta haul all your stuff out, remove your Weathertechs, remove the carpet, open the trap door, remove the cardboard liner and root around in the hardware to find the eyelets. Go around front remove the covers, screw in the eyelets and hook up a tow strap to the eyelets. All the while you've froze your a** off.

I agree, good to know ya got'm, better to never need'm.

:)

ecub 08-07-11 06:56 AM

But they're not missing. You need to pop off the covers, and then insert the eyelets. The eyelets should be by the spare tire, if I remember correctly.

Coffee87 08-09-11 11:11 AM

They're cheap. Only $7 each. You would just have to take them to a body shop and have them painted.

http://www.partswebsite.com/oemlexus...102&type=parts

sleepysurf 08-23-11 05:58 PM

Called my Lexus dealer (both Service Rep and Parts Dept) for a quote on replacement, but NEITHER returned my (three) calls! So much for Lexus customer service!!!

I ended up ordering the replacements (painted) from Sewell. Cost $115, incl shipping. I think I'll install a clear bra on the front bumper (and hood), to minimize the chance of somebody popping them off again.