Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 04:07 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got my RX back last Friday, the recall parts fixed the car, A/C compressor had to be disconnected for the fix and for some strange reason A/C didn't worked after the recall parts were installed. The foreman at the service area was nice enough to take a look at the problem with the code and confirm later that there was too much freon within the A/C system, after releasing all and recharge to factory spec, A/C was working perfect again.
Old 08-23-12, 01:17 PM
Inverter07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inverter07
I got negative respons from Lexus Waterloo (the local dealer) and then brought the case to Toyota Belgium. Toyota Belgium customer relation office stated that the car was outside of the recall program (by 6 months) and out of warranty (by 97 days). They saw no reason to assist in the matter. I have written a letter of complaint to Toyota Europe.
The Toyota vision states: “We aim to exceed expectations and be rewarded with a smile.” striving to exceed their expectations—by at least a little all the time and by a lot whenever possible... “be kind and generous” and to “create a warm, homelike atmosphere.” The idea is to earn as many smiles as possible. It means building relationships of trust and mutual respect with customers..." One can only hope that Toyota Europe will proove this in practice.
Thank you "petterf" I will check with the insurance company.
Insurance will not cover the costs, (only accidents).

I got a reply from Toyota Europe, they will not cover anything. The hybrid system was out of warranty by 97 days and there is no recall program for this part on my 2007 model. I have been a Toyota/Lexus customer for 20 years due to their reliability and great customer service. I am no longer a customer of that company due to their pure reliability and bad customer service... Times are changing.
Old 08-27-12, 02:25 PM
fredza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Inverter07
Insurance will not cover the costs, (only accidents).

I got a reply from Toyota Europe, they will not cover anything. The hybrid system was out of warranty by 97 days and there is no recall program for this part on my 2007 model. I have been a Toyota/Lexus customer for 20 years due to their reliability and great customer service. I am no longer a customer of that company due to their pure reliability and bad customer service... Times are changing.
Dont give up, I got my money back in Estonia. 2005 model 145000km
March 2011 inverter failed, warranty was ended. 9000€, they offered goodwill and I paid 1500+labor. End of June 2011 I saw TSB in US but it was only US. Finally I found European TSB and send to dealer. Oct 2011 got money back.

1KBA-044
04/08/2011

WHEN WILL THIS CAMPAIGN EXPIRE?

This Recall or Special Service Campaign will be available at NO COST to the vehicle owners
without time limitation.
If you have previously paid for to have the IPM in the inverter assembly replaced to address this specific condition, please contact your Lexus dealership for reimbursement consideration.

http://ebookbrowse.com/1kba-044-pdf-d198704905
Old 01-14-14, 06:18 PM
Caraddict
Driver School Candidate

My Mom's 2006 RX400 has around 83k on it and had the IPM recall performed in early December. What was suppose to have been a 1 day repair, turned into 4 because of "nationwide software failure' among all dealerships nationwide. They were nice enough to provide a CT200h loaner since she lives an hour from the dealership.

Today, she's driving along and starts to hear a 'chatter' and before she can get completely pulled off the road, the dashboard lights up with such errors as "Check Hybrid System, Check VSC, Check AWD System" along with the check engine light (13 codes), and P/S light. The car wouldn't move forward or backwards and has been towed to a Toyota dealership (Again, Lexus dealership is over an hour from where she was at the time) and they will be taking a look at it in the morning. From everything I've read, it sounds like the new inverter has gone bad? Obviously, if Toyota determines that this is the issue again, it will be towed back to Lexus of Nashville for repair (and reimbursement of 2 tow bills and Toyota diagnostics); I was just wondering if anyone else has had trouble from their REPLACED inverters?

Last edited by Caraddict; 01-15-14 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 12:53 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully the dealer did not screw something up during the recall work. Maybe they hooked up a connector loosely and it fell off? That sounds like the "limp home mode" that would happen if the inverter power module failed (what the recall was for), but it could be anything.
Old 01-15-14, 03:02 PM
Caraddict
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maseace
Hopefully the dealer did not screw something up during the recall work. Maybe they hooked up a connector loosely and it fell off? That sounds like the "limp home mode" that would happen if the inverter power module failed (what the recall was for), but it could be anything.
A surge of power came from somewhere and blew the ignition coil completely off and they have had to order one before further diagnostics can be performed.
Old 01-16-14, 06:18 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Whoa, please keep us filled on on the problem...Sounds like they completely blew the recall....
Old 01-16-14, 05:24 PM
Caraddict
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Whoa, please keep us filled on on the problem...Sounds like they completely blew the recall....
After stating that he had never seen an ignition coil do what this one had done and not being able to offer any explanation, her car is back on the road. Time will tell if the problem is truly fixed, perhaps it was just a fluke? He said all & all that there were 20 codes set off, but all have been cleared now and their hybrid master technician did the repair.
Old 01-20-14, 08:23 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had no idea that you guys in the USA had this recall about 2 years before we did in canada. it was on the news about 6 months ago in canada. finally got it done today. *crossing fingers*
Old 02-25-14, 02:37 PM
FMRX400h
Driver School Candidate

New member here.. I joined the lexus drivers website and was able to see the maintenance history of the car. It said "CHK SERL#, R&R IPM TRANSISTOR (HW31U)" on 2/23/12. It was done around 30k.
Old 02-25-14, 08:00 PM
mian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myw
i had no idea that you guys in the USA had this recall about 2 years before we did in canada. it was on the news about 6 months ago in canada. finally got it done today. *crossing fingers*
myw where did you get it done ( which dearleship) in Ontario if I may ask. Hope all goes well. I am asking because that dealer will have already received the necessary parts needed to complete the repair. Thank you.
Old 02-25-14, 08:29 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lexus richmond hill, right out side my place. im pretty sure my buddy did his recall at don valley lexus.

Originally Posted by mian
myw where did you get it done ( which dearleship) in Ontario if I may ask. Hope all goes well. I am asking because that dealer will have already received the necessary parts needed to complete the repair. Thank you.
Old 02-26-14, 11:45 AM
mian
Driver School Candidate

Thanks myw for the info.

Originally Posted by myw
lexus richmond hill, right out side my place. im pretty sure my buddy did his recall at don valley lexus.
Old 02-27-14, 03:48 PM
ojaijena
Driver School Candidate

I bought my 2007 RX 400h the end of December '13 and had the recall completed the beginning of February 2014. So far, everything seems to be running great. I'm pleased with my purchase and happy that none of the mechanical issues that others had mentioned earlier have happened to me.
Old 03-18-14, 09:38 PM
mian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Thank you for the usefull tips provided. I am planning to take my vehicle in for thorough check up for all warranted parts before the warranty expires, was just waiting for the deep freeze to cool it a bit! It promises to be good day weatherwise here in Toronto today.
I have already had my water pump replaced together with timing belt not long ago , all of it was done under warranty except the dealer charged me the cost of timing belt and asked me get in touch with US lexus to have it reimbursed.

Today I will be taking my 2008 RX 400 H for the IPM recall rebuild / repair to Lexus ON The Park dealership here in Toronto Canada.

For those people who have had this repair done can they help me with the list of things to look out for and sensible questions to ask about this repair. Please list those questions to help me get through this process. I value input from my fellow lexus owners in this regards.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement