ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-215/)
-   -   GSh in snow & GSh in general (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/552819-gsh-in-snow-and-gsh-in-general.html)

pkp207 02-13-11 05:20 PM

GSh in snow & GSh in general

Don't kill me everyone as I don't have a GSh; i have an 300 AWD. But I'm thinking about possibly getting one.

I see the GSh has a snow button... so how does it do in the snow? This winter the AWD has come in handy here in NY, so it'd be hard to give it up for a car that would do terrible in the snow.

Also, people who have switched over from regular GS's, how do you like this car in comparison? Are you glad you switched? Will I be glad I switched? Let me know if I should make the switch lol :)

bigblack06 02-13-11 06:12 PM

don't get your hopes up for miracles, cause it will still be at the end of the day a RWD car so most of the power goes to the rear, just saying that you might want a second car for the snow. I park my GSh for winter time. but some people may say a good set of winter tires. I would still park it.

Stormforge 02-13-11 08:27 PM

it all depends on what your plans on for your next car. if you plan on doing mods, then RWD is definitely the platform you want, as AWD is not mod friendly.

strictly from a snow perspective, AWD is better in snow than RWD. but a RWD with good snow tires and chains should be more than capable in all but the worst winter weather conditions. in that case, you shouldn't be driving at all in the first place! and like bigblack06, i park my GSh when there's snow/ice on the road. RXh time for me! :D

i test drove the regular GS, found it too slow to my liking. fell in love with the GSh after first throttle in power mode! i'm biased of course, but i'm glad i choose the GSh. and the GSh is a low production model, so there is the uniqueness factor of having a car that you won't see on the road too often.

either way, good luck with your choice. you can't go wrong with a GS. :)

pkp207 02-22-11 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Stormforge (Post 6143752)
it all depends on what your plans on for your next car. if you plan on doing mods, then RWD is definitely the platform you want, as AWD is not mod friendly.

strictly from a snow perspective, AWD is better in snow than RWD. but a RWD with good snow tires and chains should be more than capable in all but the worst winter weather conditions. in that case, you shouldn't be driving at all in the first place! and like bigblack06, i park my GSh when there's snow/ice on the road. RXh time for me! :D

i test drove the regular GS, found it too slow to my liking. fell in love with the GSh after first throttle in power mode! i'm biased of course, but i'm glad i choose the GSh. and the GSh is a low production model, so there is the uniqueness factor of having a car that you won't see on the road too often.

I'm not a modder, so I won't have many things to do. A mod for me would be like getting tints or something. Maybe do something like ML+ for the sound system (not likely). But otherwise I like driving stock.

I love the GS I have now (2006 300 AWD), but getting the performance + hybrid increased mileage is really tempting to me. Would I be losing any features (minus AWD of course) by going to the hybrid version?

bigblack06 02-22-11 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by pkp207 (Post 6166863)
I'm not a modder, so I won't have many things to do. A mod for me would be like getting tints or something. Maybe do something like ML+ for the sound system (not likely). But otherwise I like driving stock.

I love the GS I have now (2006 300 AWD), but getting the performance + hybrid increased mileage is really tempting to me. Would I be losing any features (minus AWD of course) by going to the hybrid version?

No, you would be gaining items aside from the AWD.

pkp207 02-22-11 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigblack06 (Post 6167735)
No, you would be gaining items aside from the AWD.

Sent you a PM, please respond when you get a chance :)

Stormforge 02-22-11 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by pkp207 (Post 6166863)

OK, no prob. but one thing you should know about the ML system - you cannot add ML if your car doesn't come with it. ML is good because it has a DVD changer and you can watch DVD movies on the front screen (with a dvd bypass installed or wire cut method - do a search, you'll know what i mean) while in motion. or parked with parking brake on. if you opt for the non-ML audio, be forwarned that you cannot play DVD movies or DVD audio, and there are several members that wished they had gotten the ML instead. but that was with the regular GS350, not sure if this applies to GSh.

pkp207 02-22-11 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stormforge (Post 6167952)
OK, no prob. but one thing you should know about the ML system - you cannot add ML if your car doesn't come with it. ML is good because it has a DVD changer and you can watch DVD movies on the front screen (with a dvd bypass installed or wire cut method - do a search, you'll know what i mean) while in motion. or parked with parking brake on. if you opt for the non-ML audio, be forwarned that you cannot play DVD movies or DVD audio, and there are several members that wished they had gotten the ML instead. but that was with the regular GS350, not sure if this applies to GSh.

I have ML on my 06 300 and love it... but it's gen 4 so I can't get that ML+ that Batman reviewed somewhere else on this site (seems like a sweeter setup than anything). I definitely wouldn't give up ML if I traded in my GS for the GSh. Thanks for the tip though b/c I didn't know about the DVD movie part of it :thumbup:

LexFather 02-22-11 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by pkp207 (Post 6143255)
Don't kill me everyone as I don't have a GSh; i have an 300 AWD. But I'm thinking about possibly getting one.

I see the GSh has a snow button... so how does it do in the snow? This winter the AWD has come in handy here in NY, so it'd be hard to give it up for a car that would do terrible in the snow.

Also, people who have switched over from regular GS's, how do you like this car in comparison? Are you glad you switched? Will I be glad I switched? Let me know if I should make the switch lol :)

Snow button in every Lexus only modulates the throttle where the car starts in a higher gear like 2 (GSh is CVT so its simulated) to limit wheel spin.

Actually drove the GSh in mild snow and I have Michelin PS2 tires which recommends DO NOT DRIVE in snow or ice:D so I made a short trip but it wasn't good. Much prefered the AWD RXh we have in it.

Tires are key in the snow.:)

kszarini 07-15-11 01:04 PM

2008 GS460h

I purchased my 2008 GS450h this spring in bellevue WA

I was informed it is only manufactured on special order currently. Pls advise?

Originally Posted by Stormforge (Post 6143752)

Stormforge 07-15-11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by kszarini (Post 6536360)
I purchased my 2008 GS450h this spring in bellevue WA

I was informed it is only manufactured on special order currently. Pls advise?

it's possible that the GSh is now available only on special order, but that could be for the usa only. up here in canada, lexus dealers are bringing them in and selling them (albeit not at high volume)

sucka 10-19-11 01:40 PM

If you are soley depending on the GS to get around, i'd consider the AWD. When the weather gets bad, or just have icy conditions - intersections etc. i generally leave my car in the garage and take my wife's car. I was coming back from a snowboarding trip at Blue Mtn and it was white knuckle driving on the 400.

neurocity 01-18-12 09:57 AM

After driving my GSh in the recent snow storm. I can honestly say I was surprised.

With the car in snow mode; It drove better than my 2Gen did with winter tires on. I'm running Conti DWS's and it felt like I had snow tires. I'm sure the immense weight of the trans and battery helped.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

bigblack06 01-18-12 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by neurocity (Post 6953698)
After driving my GSh in the recent snow storm. I can honestly say I was surprised.

With the car in snow mode; It drove better than my 2Gen did with winter tires on. I'm running Conti DWS's and it felt like I had snow tires. I'm sure the immense weight of the trans and battery helped.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lol, neve tried it, to much of a chicken maybe with snow coming I'll try it for the first time.

neurocity 01-20-12 05:44 PM

Snow!!!!

Major hill (Major for flat land IL) climb on my trip home. Firebird stuck, had to be towed.
Porsche Cayenne.... G T F out of my way.
300C AWD.... Psssshhhh....

Continental DWS, Lexus Snow Mode, Extra hybrid hardware weight. FTMFW!!!!

Filmed with my iPhone driving with one hand. (Watch in 720) Sorry for the shake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gZfOPu5OkLw