Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2011 450h Mileage concerns?

Old 03-03-11, 11:58 AM
Boykster21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess since I own a powerboat, I'm used to the 'constant drone' of the engine - its very similar to the sound of a boat on plane.
Old 03-04-11, 04:27 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm headed back onto interstate, 'cuz I don't know what you folks are talking about. The only sound I don't like on my 450 is when that accursed voice says, "Pardon" because once again she doesn't understand the english language.

Seriously, when I punch it into the "white zone" I don't hear anything objectionable. But in all fairness to my associates on this list, I'll force myself to go back out on the road, put on my sunglasses, turn down the radio, perk up my rock and roll damaged ears and listen for objectionable noises coming from the tranny, engine, electric motors or whatever while cruising down the highway at 80 miles an hour, consuming gasoline at the rate of 20 miles per gallon. However I think my report will be the same. The noise comes from the tires and the poor mileage goes from driving fast.
Old 03-04-11, 07:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ The term cvt drone is not referring to the cvt making noise tself. The term was coined to refer to unpleasant engine noise at even moderate throttle that is caused by the lack of shifting into the next gear. This is characteristic of all hybrids and cars with cvt trannies.

It is a pretty unpleasant noise to me, and usually starts to get bad when you enter the white part of the hybrid meter
you should try real CVT... it is million times worse. With hybrids you still have electric motor to give you more acceleration... with normal CVT you just hear a lot of noise and nothing happens at all for first few seconds .
Old 03-04-11, 10:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ I agree. My friend drives a Nissan Sentra...and its horrible.

As for the RX, dont bother listening to it on the freeway because wind and road nice kinda drowns out the CVT noise. Go from a dead stop.
Old 03-05-11, 09:54 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll try your suggestion. I'll be driving and riding a bit next week and I'll pay closer attention. Perhaps I'm mistaking tire noise with something else.
Old 03-05-11, 10:24 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I've found that I can get the same mileage (very good) with ECO off and most of the following graph is with ECO off. I usually burn Shell mid grade (89 octane) and every 2nd or 3rd tank top off with high test 92 octane in our area. The net effect is probably about 91. You'll see my mileage over the last year dropping just slightly in the colder winter months but over all in the neighborhood of 30 MPG....

Now that warmer weather is back (at least in FL), thought I'd likewise see what happens driving in Non-ECO mode. Thus far, I'm impressed. Likewise averaging ~30 MPG, but I can really "floor it" from time to time (at least enough to make my wife grab the armrests and scream holy ****** at me )

As for the "CVT noise", it doesn't bother me. It's different from a non-hybrid power train, but so is everything else about the car. If I wanted a Porsche, I would have gotten one.
Old 05-12-11, 04:00 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

why are people getting low MPG when it advertised as 30/28

Im considering to get one of these but from the looks of it the fuel economy isnt promising or you guys just have heavy feet
Old 05-12-11, 05:21 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

When has the manufacturer mileage ever been right...That is why the EPA downgraded most of the mileage stickers...
Old 05-12-11, 07:13 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

It is the EPA's numbers and not the manufacturers. The cars are tested by putting the drive wheels on a "dynamometer," a machine that allows it to simulate driving conditions while remaining stationary. The car is tested according to two different "schedules" to produce the city and highway ratings posted on a car's window sticker.Test 1 City: The test is started with the car's engine cold. The car then is operated in such a way as to replicate 11 miles of stop-and-go rush-hour traffic. Periods of idling are included in the test; average speed is 20 mph and top speed is 56 mph test 2Highway: This test represents 10 miles of a mixture of rural and interstate highway driving. The engine is warmed up before the test begins and the average test speed of about 48 mph is maintained. The top speed reached is 60 mph. No intermediate stops or idling are included in the test. Now only if we drove our cars like that but then you would never go anywhere would you? I drive 67mpg on the and get 27.5 mpg from mid-grade gas w/10 Ethanol in it and city driving is ??? but we are getting 30.5 mpg
Old 05-16-11, 04:23 AM
currybob
Rookie

I think you will find the ones that are not having any issues don't post. My mileage is above the stated mpg's and has remained so as long as I have owned the RX which is now 7 months and 8,000 miles. I regularley get 33-44 mpgs. Lead foots and not taken advantaged of the hybrid personility can take a hard hit on mpgs
Bob
Old 05-16-11, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have hills so mileage isn't what it could be. I checked mine this morning after a fill up yesterday figuring it would go down. Surprise, it was close to 30 MPG, even better than it was before getting gas. Now if I could do something about them hills...
Old 05-16-11, 08:43 AM
currybob
Rookie

Hills are great for letting off the pedal and coast some to charge your batteries. Just have to learn what works best, your speed will not suffer and the battery will kick in going up the hill to reduce the amount of gas you need.
Old 05-16-11, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Trust me, whenever I got up a series of hills, the MPG numbers drop a few points (if the tank has recently been filled). You usually dont get it back when going down the hills.

Im averaging 26.5 ish now which I think is great given the conditions that I drive in
Old 05-16-11, 12:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I go up and down three long hills to work with a little more downhill overall in the AM. Mileage ticks up slightly in the AM, then goes down in the PM. After this last fill up, I didn't go up or down any hills. It was basically flat for 3 miles, speeds under 40 MPH with a few lights. What a difference.

And I agree with RXSF, I don't see mileage gain going downhill. I use the sequential trans to slow down, going completely into battery power. Coasting with occasional taps on the gas on level road optimizes MPG for me.
Old 05-17-11, 08:22 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Originally Posted by currybob
I think you will find the ones that are not having any issues don't post. My mileage is above the stated mpg's and has remained so as long as I have owned the RX which is now 7 months and 8,000 miles. I regularley get 33-44 mpgs. Lead foots and not taken advantaged of the hybrid personility can take a hard hit on mpgs
Bob
No offense, but I find it hard to believe anybody can really maintain an AVERAGE of 33-34 MPG. There have indeed been short intervals when I've hit 34 (even 35) MPG, but overall, I'm getting 28-30 MPG, which is right in line with the EPA rating. I think that's realistically the best we can hope for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 450h Mileage concerns?