Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Poor Gas Mileage after valve spring recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 04:41 AM
araina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Gas Mileage after valve spring recall

I recently had the valve spring recall done on my 2007 GS450H and the gas mileage has dropped significantly from around 25mpg city to 18 mpg city. Has anyone else noticed a change in gas mileage after recall done?
Old 11-16-10, 10:33 AM
nicnac
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can not directly answer you but there should be NO change in your mpg unless the timing hasslipped or some ECU remapping has occured.
You really need to put it on Techstream at a dealer and see what they did ...
Old 11-18-10, 05:27 PM
GSLA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine CPO, so I don't know what is it before the recall is done but I know my car has it done and I'd been getting 21.5 MPG with combine local + fwy.
Old 11-18-10, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

when you say the mpg, is that the number you get on screen, or real world numbers you calculated from your actual mileage per tank divided by gallons added?
Old 11-19-10, 04:39 PM
GSLA

rominl,

It's the MPG I got on the screen.
Old 11-19-10, 06:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sorry i was mainly referring to ariana. if it's just from the screen, it might not be correct since they have to disconnect battery for the recall and reading might need a few refills to get back to normal
Old 11-26-10, 04:56 AM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Same gas mileage post-valve spring recall as pre-valve spring recall for me: 26.7 MPG in mixed suburban-city driving.
Old 11-26-10, 09:16 PM
LexFather

There should be no change in MPG. I confirmed this today when I was shown the valve spring procedure on the V-8 and V-6 engines.
Old 11-28-10, 09:47 AM
GSLA

I am trying to find out why I only get btw 21 and 22 mpg with mixed suburban-city driving. I drive very normally no kick down acceleration whatsoever. Want to know if there's something wrong.
Old 12-17-10, 11:38 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

The dealer performed the valve spring recall today on my GS450h and I've averaged 26.6MPG's over 40 miles of driving so it doesn't appear that my fuel economy has been affected in any way pos or neg.
Old 01-12-11, 05:50 PM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marylander
Same gas mileage post-valve spring recall as pre-valve spring recall for me: 26.7 MPG in mixed suburban-city driving.
Actually, I think I wrote too soon. My 26.7 pre-recall is now about 23.2 post-recall. I've had enough tankfuls to think this is statistically significant. What can cause this?
Old 01-15-11, 07:35 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Marylander
Actually, I think I wrote too soon. My 26.7 pre-recall is now about 23.2 post-recall. I've had enough tankfuls to think this is statistically significant. What can cause this?
Winter gas perhaps. When the temperatures get colder, the oil companies start phasing in winter blends which are generally cheaper to produce. They do this mostly due to the fact that they can get away with it, it has to do with gasoline evaporation rates which need to be kept more in check during the summer months. They may also add additional additives that further prevent freezing, etc. Generally there is less energy in winter blended gasoline than that of what you get the rest of the year.

Even though this is the case, I wouldn't say it could account for a loss in economy as large as you're reporting. You can also mix in other factors such as spending more time idling to warm the car up, increased traffic due to weather conditions, in a hybrid batteries perform more poorly and hold less capacity as temperature drops and the car may be relying on the gasoline engine more so in order to keep the battery sufficiently charged.

Just some guesses.
Old 01-16-11, 09:02 AM
araina
Driver School Candidate

Hi Romini
Sorry I haven't responded in a while, busy with other things. However I believe you are right when you say it could be the battery disconnect. I've taken the car on a long road trip and got much better mileage, and it has only dropped a little with the combined city driving. I did think it needed some time to regulate itself. Thanks everyone for their input.
Old 01-17-11, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by araina
Hi Romini
Sorry I haven't responded in a while, busy with other things. However I believe you are right when you say it could be the battery disconnect. I've taken the car on a long road trip and got much better mileage, and it has only dropped a little with the combined city driving. I did think it needed some time to regulate itself. Thanks everyone for their input.
that's great to hear!
Old 01-26-11, 08:55 PM
tombebenek
8th Gear

On mine gs 350 2007 mpgs dropped from about 25.4 mixed driving to about 18.2???
any ideas ? same gas even same gas station.

Quick Reply: Poor Gas Mileage after valve spring recall