Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX 400h trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 12:25 PM
jettech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 400h trailer wiring

Hi guys, this is my first post but I've been a Lexus owner for about a year now.

I'm installing a hitch on my 2008 400h but I can't seem to locate the factory wiring to plug my wiring kit into. I called the dealer and asked if my car was pre-wired and he told me that they all are pre-wired, just not all have the kit installed.

Has anybody installed one of these kits in their 400h, and can help me locate the wiring plugs? I've looked everywhere in the back but can't find any loose plugs.

Thanks...Randy
Old 08-03-10, 10:59 AM
jettech
Driver School Candidate

Disregard...figured it out, and finally found the connector.
Old 08-16-10, 11:00 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm installing a hitch this weekend? What type of wiring do you need to plug in? Is it plug and play?
Old 08-16-10, 11:44 AM
jettech
Driver School Candidate

Mine was plug and play. I just went to the dealer and bought the wire harness that goes to the Lexus hitch and plugged it in and everything worked perfectly. 60 bucks, but it came with connectors on each end and also had the grommet attached where it passes through to underneath for routing to the hitch.

Mine is an 08 model though, so I don't know if your 06 would be identical. I found my connector taped up to the harness over in the left hand corner, inside.

Good luck...Randy
Old 09-01-10, 03:03 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you give more details on the hitch installation, maybe some pics? I would like to do this myself.
Old 09-01-10, 11:15 PM
jettech
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics when I did the job, as I was in a bit of a hurry. Sorry, but if you have the same year and model you should find the connector inside the cargo compartment, over in the left hand corner. You will have to take out the bin that stores the tools and then remove the flip up floor panels. After that just remove the remaining plastic bins on the left side and you should then have access to the wiring harness there.

Like I said in my previous post, just go to the dealer and tell them you want the wiring adapter harness for the Lexus OEM hitch. It will plug directly into the connector that you uncover in the back, and then route the harness through an existing hole(there is a rubber plug already there that needs to be removed) and install the grommet that comes with the harness. Then, it's just a simple case of running the harness back to the hitch. Since the harness comes with a bracket that is no doubt supposed to install on the OEM hitch I simply positioned it where I thought it would be best and drilled a couple holes and screwed it in.

The harness comes with these plastic snap-in fasteners that I think are supposed to snap into pre-drilled holes in the OEM hitch. Since I didn't use the OEM hitch there was no place for these to snap into so I just left them and secured the harness with zip-ties as best I could. Not a big deal though. It works great as is.

As far as the hitch itself goes, it's really simple. Just remove the existing tie down brackets and install the hitch to the same holes. 15 minutes and it's done. At least, that's how mine went. I bought the Curt hitch.

I'll try to take some pics of the hitch as it is now and add them to my post later.

Hope this helps.

Randy
Old 09-02-10, 04:39 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. I might buy the factory hitch at about $350 and try this out. Mine has the towing prep package. I only haul a small utility trailer and a log splitter now and then.
Old 09-02-10, 04:59 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have towing prep package. Also I ended up getting the harness from Lexus for $50. It plugged right in, also it was a bit of a PITA to put everthing back together. I'm getting ready to head to NC with my ZX-14 in tow and the lights worked on the trailer.
Old 12-12-12, 08:05 PM
Stealth1
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have pictures showing the tow prep package transmission cooler? I am buying a 2008 RX400h and haven't been able to find any way to confirm it has this. There's a cooler in front of the ac condenser but i've seen people say it's in the lower corner of the bumper.

Please help!
Old 12-12-12, 11:11 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it has the towing package, you will see a small radiator behind the driver side lower grille below the foglight. It helps to use a flashlight. Also I hear the towing prep models have the open front grille 'L' logo, and the non-towing models have the solid L with the blue background (like the rear blue logo).
Old 12-14-12, 09:59 AM
Stealth1
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I couldn't see anything since the car wasn't on a hoist and I didn't have a flash light. it would be awesome if someone could post a picture up.
Old 12-14-12, 11:05 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails RX 400h trailer wiring-rx1.jpg   RX 400h trailer wiring-rx2.jpg  
Old 12-14-12, 11:28 PM
Stealth1
Driver School Candidate

Amazing, picking her up tomorrow and this was a key part of the purchase so i'm praying it's there.
Old 12-19-12, 08:02 AM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe if you simply search the threads you'll find instruction on how to install trailer hitch. also you'll find that the toyota and lexus trailer hitches are identical with both part numbers stamped on it so buying the lexus version is simply almost twice as much. and you can get lexus hitch cap on ebay for $10. do the search and you'll find everything you need to know.
Old 10-14-13, 09:29 AM
meades12
Driver School Candidate

Default Help me on where the electrical connection is?

Originally Posted by jettech
Hi guys, this is my first post but I've been a Lexus owner for about a year now.

I'm installing a hitch on my 2008 400h but I can't seem to locate the factory wiring to plug my wiring kit into. I called the dealer and asked if my car was pre-wired and he told me that they all are pre-wired, just not all have the kit installed.

Has anybody installed one of these kits in their 400h, and can help me locate the wiring plugs? I've looked everywhere in the back but can't find any loose plugs.

Thanks...Randy
Randy,

Where did you find this connection? I have a 2008 Lexus RX 400h with the blue tint on the lexus emblem.

Mark

Last edited by meades12; 10-14-13 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Missed my vehicle maked

Quick Reply: RX 400h trailer wiring