Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Extremely disappointed!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10, 11:32 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely disappointed!!

I am extremely disappointed with my experience with the 2010 RX450h. I am even more frustrated with my service center. They are total morons. They are telling me that it is normal to be averaging 20-22 mpg whereas everyone and their mothers are averaging upper 20s low 30s. Then, I wanted to update the firmware and get the 9.1 map update. I guess thats too much of a chore for them. The techinician is telling me they couldn't update the system with the 1394 and they need to call in someone "special" to do it and it would run in the hundreds of dollars. Hes also telling me the map update is the same as the firmware update which I know is two totally different things. I know overall the car is a very good one, but unfortunately I got a bad one. I even called Lexus and they could care less. I want to get rid of the car, but of course I would lose a lot of money on it. Anybody have any suggestions???
Old 05-28-10, 12:26 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

on the mileage--we find my wife gets 25 mpg and I get 31-has to be driving style

on the update--get your salesperson to approve the update.
Old 05-28-10, 12:44 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nyranger74
I am extremely disappointed with my experience with the 2010 RX450h. I am even more frustrated with my service center. They are total morons. They are telling me that it is normal to be averaging 20-22 mpg whereas everyone and their mothers are averaging upper 20s low 30s. Then, I wanted to update the firmware and get the 9.1 map update. I guess thats too much of a chore for them. The techinician is telling me they couldn't update the system with the 1394 and they need to call in someone "special" to do it and it would run in the hundreds of dollars. Hes also telling me the map update is the same as the firmware update which I know is two totally different things. I know overall the car is a very good one, but unfortunately I got a bad one. I even called Lexus and they could care less. I want to get rid of the car, but of course I would lose a lot of money on it. Anybody have any suggestions???
Hal is right, the most likely culprit re: bad mileage is driving style. But of course it's always possible there may be something in the car that isn't set correctly or is malfunctioning. But you have an excellent warranty behind you.

You have to understand tho that your story re: what you dealer has told you is so far from the norm both with the mileage being normal and upgrading to 9.1 that you should run not walk (well drive ) to another dealer with your story. Explain it calmly and rationally and just ask for help.

Even if you have to go out of your way, most dealers are very helpful even if you didn't buy from them. If you're in the NY/NJ area, contact Anita who post's frequently on this forum. I'm sure she can put you in touch with her dealer service rep even if it's just for a phone counsel to get started. And they can tell you who to talk with at Lexus Corp re: an incompetent dealer.

Don't get frustrated and give up the ship. There is always another way and/or an explanation. Good luck and keep us informed if you can.
Old 05-28-10, 01:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

nyranger74, I am in the same boat averaging in the low to mid 20s in mostly city driving with stops/lights. I have to go up and down hills to work - no way around it. About a week ago I switched to eco mode and so far have seen a one to two mile increase. My driving style has not changed. I make sure I put in Shell and keep the tires properly inflated.

I'm not sure why the dealer is not updating the map for you. Honestly I can't see why anyone who has purchased/leased the 450h should pay for it since there was only a three month lapse between launch of both. I'd definitely give corporate a call again and reason with them. And please provide more details about the firmware update. I keep hearing about it but nobody here has done it as far as I can tell.

It might be time to find a different dealer like Jim said. PM me if you want the name of the service advisor I have dealt with since I bought my first RX in 1998. I know the service manager too. They are located in central NJ. It might be a little far for you but it's not exactly close to me either. The drive is worth it, they're that good.

Best of luck.
Old 05-28-10, 02:21 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by kitlz
nyranger74, I am in the same boat averaging in the low to mid 20s in mostly city driving with stops/lights. I have to go up and down hills to work - no way around it. About a week ago I switched to eco mode and so far have seen a one to two mile increase. My driving style has not changed. I make sure I put in Shell and keep the tires properly inflated.

I'm not sure why the dealer is not updating the map for you. Honestly I can't see why anyone who has purchased/leased the 450h should pay for it since there was only a three month lapse between launch of both. I'd definitely give corporate a call again and reason with them. And please provide more details about the firmware update. I keep hearing about it but nobody here has done it as far as I can tell.

It might be time to find a different dealer like Jim said. PM me if you want the name of the service advisor I have dealt with since I bought my first RX in 1998. I know the service manager too. They are located in central NJ. It might be a little far for you but it's not exactly close to me either. The drive is worth it, they're that good.

Best of luck.
Anita, you probably have the updated firmware. Mine was an early build and I even still have the 'sunglass' holder . But the updated firmware was necessary for the map update.
Old 05-28-10, 04:18 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz

Best of luck.
That's a reason why I didn't get my Lexus in NYC. I don't like them(all three dealers) at all. I got my car at the same dealership as Anita's, very nice people, it's only 50 miles away from NYC, but I'll go back for all my services.
Old 05-28-10, 06:30 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Originally Posted by nyranger74
...The techinician is telling me they couldn't update the system with the 1394...
Hes also telling me the map update is the same as the firmware update which I know is two totally different things...
Just wondering, is "1394" the latest "firmware" release, and, if so, how do we find out what firmware we currently have, and how would we know there is an update available?

I would hopethat Lexus will routinelyupdate our cars to the latest firmware at no charge.
Old 05-28-10, 07:17 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
Just wondering, is "1394" the latest "firmware" release, and, if so, how do we find out what firmware we currently have, and how would we know there is an update available?

I would hopethat Lexus will routinelyupdate our cars to the latest firmware at no charge.
If your map Version is 9.1, you have the most current map and firmware. If not and you have an early build like mine than you need both. The firmware is necessary for the 9.1 ver of the map. As far as I know, Lexus Corp has granted the update to all that asked. I'm not sure what transpired w/NYRANGER when he called. That sounded strange.
Old 05-28-10, 07:26 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Oops! Guess this is all in reference to the NAV system firmware. I thought it might have been something Non-NAV related.
Old 05-28-10, 08:11 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleepysurf

I think the technician was referring to "firewire" when he said 1394. I assume he was talking about not being able to upload the update through the firewire connection.
Old 05-29-10, 05:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't city driving where a hybrid shines over regular engine?
Old 05-29-10, 05:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Isn't city driving where a hybrid shines over regular engine?
Definitely compared to my '04. I averaged 13-14 MPG on the same drive in the 330

Warm weather only started so time will tell if it improves. I switched to eco mode and already see a difference. Now if I can get into the 30s
Old 05-29-10, 05:54 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, 1394 is the firewire connection. Im in Long Island and service my car at Lexus of Massapequa. I know the Jersey dealers are so much better than the ones in Long Island. I also have an X5 and the dealer is very incompetent as well. As far as my driving style goes, I try to be as conservative as possible to achieve the optimum gas mileage. My wife also drives the car and she definitely drives conservative. I think I was just sold a lemon. I knew I shouldve custom ordered the car!!
Old 05-30-10, 08:25 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Anita, you probably have the updated firmware. Mine was an early build and I even still have the 'sunglass' holder . But the updated firmware was necessary for the map update.
Wow! You have the sunglass holder. I posted in another thread asking whether the loss of the holder and lighting of the home link buttons was a function of adding the SOS etc tehcnology and from the replies that didn't seem to be the case. What is your configuration? Do you have SOS et al or whatever
Old 05-30-10, 08:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Jim (Cruiter) got his 450h before Enform came out on August builds so he has a sunglass holder.

Quick Reply: Extremely disappointed!!