Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 02:35 PM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

28 to 30mpg fwd rx450h
Old 02-04-19, 03:19 PM
NillaIce
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I focus on the acceleration and stay under 75 MPH I can get over 26 MPG with my AWD. If I focus on my acceleration and stay below 60 I get really close to 29 MPG.
Old 02-04-19, 05:19 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by NillaIce
If I focus on the acceleration and stay under 75 MPH I can get over 26 MPG with my AWD. If I focus on my acceleration and stay below 60 I get really close to 29 MPG.
Where in Texas are you driving 60 mph & NOT being run over? Just about all the major highways are at least 70 or 75 & parts of I-10 are 80 mph.
Old 02-05-19, 09:47 AM
NillaIce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Where in Texas are you driving 60 mph & NOT being run over? Just about all the major highways are at least 70 or 75 & parts of I-10 are 80 mph.
Ha! Truth. the under 60 refers to more non-highway and non-city driving. The 'burbs. I live in Houston and most of the freeways are 65 speed limited or even 60. west of SA I-10 reaches 85/unrated speed territory. With all that being said, I stay to the right and drive consistently with one very watchful eye on the rearview. LOL.
Old 03-20-19, 06:04 PM
chrshea
10th Gear

I've seen a lot of posts from people who aren't getting good gas mileage on their 450h. I have a recently acquired 2010 450h AWD. Today I did 100+ km as a mix of highway and city driving. I purposely used a very gentle approach trying to keep the needle in the green Eco zone as much as possible. I didn't use any extreme measures and I went with the flow of traffic. The average mileage according to the 450h's measurement was 7.8 Liters/100 km (30.2 mpg). Considering that today's temperature was a high of 9 degrees Celsius (48 F) that's pretty good since the result will probably be better when it's warmer. Thus, I believe that the vehicle is quite capable of achieving the rated gas mileage and probably even exceeding it. You need a light foot and a somewhat unhurried approach so that doesn't work for everyone (and not for me all the time). I'm certainly not the first to get this type of result but it's nice to see that it isn't very difficult to achieve. I was already very happy with this vehicle. This makes it that much better.
Old 03-24-19, 06:28 AM
chrshea
10th Gear

Default 7.8 L/100km = 30.2 US MPG

You can check it out here:
http://www.convert-units.info/fuel-c...ers-100-km/7.8

Old 07-04-19, 02:36 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm disappointed in the MPG of these vehicles. Pretty steady at 24 mpg max , mixed city and highway in metro Atlanta. I think this car really cannot handle providing much if any MPG benefit at today's highway speeds. With the engine pulling the vehicle at 70 plus miles per hours with little to no meaningful battery assistance, the vehicle is just operating as a 350 and any hybrid city mileage boost is minuscule compared to the horrible 'high' speed driving MPG. Just my thought from looking at the instantaneous MPG meter while driving.
The following users liked this post:
nesh (07-04-19)
Old 07-04-19, 02:40 PM
nesh
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With AC running in California, I'm barely getting 23-24.

Not sure about your model @Nauticalx but I have 2010 and I think the later versions probably getting better MPG, as many people here are posting 28/30 mpg.
It is almost not worth paying extra for the hybrid version.
Old 07-04-19, 03:15 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nesh
With AC running in California, I'm barely getting 23-24.

Not sure about your model @Nauticalx but I have 2010 and I think the later versions probably getting better MPG, as many people here are posting 28/30 mpg.
It is almost not worth paying extra for the hybrid version.
2013 model here
Old 07-05-19, 05:58 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I'm disappointed in the MPG of these vehicles.
Correct, none of Toyota/Lexus hybrids offer much benefit at high speeds. At 70mph old concepts still apply, light cars with small engines good, heavy cars with big engines bad, hybrid? Fuggetaboutit! The sweet zone for the numbers game is lots and lots of steady cruising from 35mph to maybe 50/55mph. A hybrid will of course do excellent in heavy stop and go driving in comparison to a gas car, but won't be impressive on the numbers side. My last tank, even for my now old and getting a bit cranky 2010, was 31mpg but that was indeed 90% city driving and of that city driving, 90% of that was cruising in the sweet zone. I am fortunate that my route to and fro work is not terribly congested and relatively flat. I've never been able to reach 32mpg on a full tank though, but I've come close once or twice. That's my mission this summer, to break my record to mark my RX's 10 years on the road Anniversary in August.
Old 07-05-19, 06:04 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I'm disappointed in the MPG of these vehicles. Pretty steady at 24 mpg max , mixed city and highway in metro Atlanta. I think this car really cannot handle providing much if any MPG benefit at today's highway speeds. With the engine pulling the vehicle at 70 plus miles per hours with little to no meaningful battery assistance, the vehicle is just operating as a 350 and any hybrid city mileage boost is minuscule compared to the horrible 'high' speed driving MPG. Just my thought from looking at the instantaneous MPG meter while driving.
I have been using Chevron fuel in my 2016 & switched to Sunoco. My mpg went down to 22 mpg, which I think is horrible. I don’t think I have driven at 70 mph more than 5 miles on this tank! There is nothing consistent about this car (it’s been far from trouble-free, but nothing major either) which really angers me. If I knew I was beating it hard, I could understand, but I know I’m not. With the Camaro, the more time I can shift into 5th & 6th gear, the higher the mpg. The Lexus is a complete crap shoot. I’m actually considering looking for an older Jeep Grand Cherokee & having it restored with modern drivetrain. That way, I can tow more & I will have consistency across the board, wherever I’m at, whatever I’m doing. I know, I’m *****ing. I just wish this car wasn't so boring. If I was getting 30+ mpg, that would be great or had a nice engine rumble or did 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds...
Old 07-08-19, 06:13 AM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I have been using Chevron fuel in my 2016 & switched to Sunoco. My mpg went down to 22 mpg, which I think is horrible. I don’t think I have driven at 70 mph more than 5 miles on this tank! There is nothing consistent about this car (it’s been far from trouble-free, but nothing major either) which really angers me. If I knew I was beating it hard, I could understand, but I know I’m not. With the Camaro, the more time I can shift into 5th & 6th gear, the higher the mpg. The Lexus is a complete crap shoot. I’m actually considering looking for an older Jeep Grand Cherokee & having it restored with modern drivetrain. That way, I can tow more & I will have consistency across the board, wherever I’m at, whatever I’m doing. I know, I’m *****ing. I just wish this car wasn't so boring. If I was getting 30+ mpg, that would be great or had a nice engine rumble or did 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds...

Most of these miles were from a day-trip on June 25. Two-lane highways, 55 mph speed limits, light traffic (few stops), temperatures 60-70, premium gas E10. 2016 RX450H FSport. Mileage varies from tank to tank; this tankfull was perhaps the best this car has ever had. Car was driven very conservatively. Many might consider it hypermiling.
Old 07-08-19, 07:24 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by AST300

Most of these miles were from a day-trip on June 25. Two-lane highways, 55 mph speed limits, light traffic (few stops), temperatures 60-70, premium gas E10. 2016 RX450H FSport. Mileage varies from tank to tank; this tankfull was perhaps the best this car has ever had. Car was driven very conservatively. Many might consider it hypermiling.
I would consider this hyper miles, but it’s excellent if you can do so. My area is not conducive to this. Our speed limits are 65 in populated areas & 75 outside of town. Our temps are mid 90s to 105 in the summer. One thing I have noticed is the a/c almost completely sucks away the hybrid battery, so the electric motors can’t engage. One long stoplight with the a/c on full & the seat cooling on full, will take the battery down to two bars & then a message pops up that says the battery is too low to engage the EV mode. I’m almost 100% positive that’s why this tank of fuel is so horrible. Toyota has big plans for a similar hybrid system in the Tundra, but I don’t see it as being very effective for the general population. This makes me question viability of any kind of optional economical engine system. Diesel engines cost thousands more than gasoline engines & hybrid systems cost thousands over their gasoline counterparts. We are at a tipping point, where the extra cost of these systems lightweights any savings during an average ownership period. If one owns one of these economical vehicles for 10 years, there is a nice payoff. Unfortunately, most folks won’t keep their vehicles for 10 years.
Old 07-24-19, 06:34 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
I've never been able to reach 32mpg on a full tank though, but I've come close once or twice. That's my mission this summer, to break my record to mark my RX's 10 years on the road Anniversary in August.
Did it, finished a tank at 7.2L/100km (32.67 mpg). Was riding the last half of the tank at 7.1 (over 33) but slipped back to 7.2 the day I needed to fill the tank.
Old 07-25-19, 05:46 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I have seen my MPG change substantially during summer of central Texas. I would expect the same in peak winter for cold places.

Salim

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?