ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-213/)
-   -   whats your mpg on RX450h? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/490614-whats-your-mpg-on-rx450h.html)

chrshea 03-24-19 06:28 AM

7.8 L/100km = 30.2 US MPG

You can check it out here:
http://www.convert-units.info/fuel-c...ers-100-km/7.8

Nauticalx 07-04-19 02:36 PM

I'm disappointed in the MPG of these vehicles. Pretty steady at 24 mpg max , mixed city and highway in metro Atlanta. I think this car really cannot handle providing much if any MPG benefit at today's highway speeds. With the engine pulling the vehicle at 70 plus miles per hours with little to no meaningful battery assistance, the vehicle is just operating as a 350 and any hybrid city mileage boost is minuscule compared to the horrible 'high' speed driving MPG. Just my thought from looking at the instantaneous MPG meter while driving.

nesh 07-04-19 02:40 PM

With AC running in California, I'm barely getting 23-24.

Not sure about your model @Nauticalx but I have 2010 and I think the later versions probably getting better MPG, as many people here are posting 28/30 mpg.
It is almost not worth paying extra for the hybrid version.

Nauticalx 07-04-19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by nesh (Post 10557566)
With AC running in California, I'm barely getting 23-24.

Not sure about your model @Nauticalx but I have 2010 and I think the later versions probably getting better MPG, as many people here are posting 28/30 mpg.
It is almost not worth paying extra for the hybrid version.

2013 model here

Droid13 07-05-19 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nauticalx (Post 10557562)
I'm disappointed in the MPG of these vehicles.

Correct, none of Toyota/Lexus hybrids offer much benefit at high speeds. At 70mph old concepts still apply, light cars with small engines good, heavy cars with big engines bad, hybrid? Fuggetaboutit! The sweet zone for the numbers game is lots and lots of steady cruising from 35mph to maybe 50/55mph. A hybrid will of course do excellent in heavy stop and go driving in comparison to a gas car, but won't be impressive on the numbers side. My last tank, even for my now old and getting a bit cranky 2010, was 31mpg but that was indeed 90% city driving and of that city driving, 90% of that was cruising in the sweet zone. I am fortunate that my route to and fro work is not terribly congested and relatively flat. I've never been able to reach 32mpg on a full tank though, but I've come close once or twice. That's my mission this summer, to break my record to mark my RX's 10 years on the road Anniversary in August.

gadgetman1 07-05-19 06:04 AM

I'm disappointed in the MPG of these vehicles. Pretty steady at 24 mpg max , mixed city and highway in metro Atlanta. I think this car really cannot handle providing much if any MPG benefit at today's highway speeds. With the engine pulling the vehicle at 70 plus miles per hours with little to no meaningful battery assistance, the vehicle is just operating as a 350 and any hybrid city mileage boost is minuscule compared to the horrible 'high' speed driving MPG. Just my thought from looking at the instantaneous MPG meter while driving.

I have been using Chevron fuel in my 2016 & switched to Sunoco. My mpg went down to 22 mpg, which I think is horrible. I don’t think I have driven at 70 mph more than 5 miles on this tank! There is nothing consistent about this car (it’s been far from trouble-free, but nothing major either) which really angers me. If I knew I was beating it hard, I could understand, but I know I’m not. With the Camaro, the more time I can shift into 5th & 6th gear, the higher the mpg. The Lexus is a complete crap shoot. I’m actually considering looking for an older Jeep Grand Cherokee & having it restored with modern drivetrain. That way, I can tow more & I will have consistency across the board, wherever I’m at, whatever I’m doing. I know, I’m *****ing. I just wish this car wasn't so boring. If I was getting 30+ mpg, that would be great or had a nice engine rumble or did 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds...

AST300 07-08-19 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by gadgetman1 (Post 10557788)
I have been using Chevron fuel in my 2016 & switched to Sunoco. My mpg went down to 22 mpg, which I think is horrible. I don’t think I have driven at 70 mph more than 5 miles on this tank! There is nothing consistent about this car (it’s been far from trouble-free, but nothing major either) which really angers me. If I knew I was beating it hard, I could understand, but I know I’m not. With the Camaro, the more time I can shift into 5th & 6th gear, the higher the mpg. The Lexus is a complete crap shoot. I’m actually considering looking for an older Jeep Grand Cherokee & having it restored with modern drivetrain. That way, I can tow more & I will have consistency across the board, wherever I’m at, whatever I’m doing. I know, I’m *****ing. I just wish this car wasn't so boring. If I was getting 30+ mpg, that would be great or had a nice engine rumble or did 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...953e7cd0b9.jpg
Most of these miles were from a day-trip on June 25. Two-lane highways, 55 mph speed limits, light traffic (few stops), temperatures 60-70, premium gas E10. 2016 RX450H FSport. Mileage varies from tank to tank; this tankfull was perhaps the best this car has ever had. Car was driven very conservatively. Many might consider it hypermiling.

gadgetman1 07-08-19 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by AST300 (Post 10559759)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...953e7cd0b9.jpg
Most of these miles were from a day-trip on June 25. Two-lane highways, 55 mph speed limits, light traffic (few stops), temperatures 60-70, premium gas E10. 2016 RX450H FSport. Mileage varies from tank to tank; this tankfull was perhaps the best this car has ever had. Car was driven very conservatively. Many might consider it hypermiling.

I would consider this hyper miles, but it’s excellent if you can do so. My area is not conducive to this. Our speed limits are 65 in populated areas & 75 outside of town. Our temps are mid 90s to 105 in the summer. One thing I have noticed is the a/c almost completely sucks away the hybrid battery, so the electric motors can’t engage. One long stoplight with the a/c on full & the seat cooling on full, will take the battery down to two bars & then a message pops up that says the battery is too low to engage the EV mode. I’m almost 100% positive that’s why this tank of fuel is so horrible. Toyota has big plans for a similar hybrid system in the Tundra, but I don’t see it as being very effective for the general population. This makes me question viability of any kind of optional economical engine system. Diesel engines cost thousands more than gasoline engines & hybrid systems cost thousands over their gasoline counterparts. We are at a tipping point, where the extra cost of these systems lightweights any savings during an average ownership period. If one owns one of these economical vehicles for 10 years, there is a nice payoff. Unfortunately, most folks won’t keep their vehicles for 10 years.

Droid13 07-24-19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Droid13 (Post 10557784)
I've never been able to reach 32mpg on a full tank though, but I've come close once or twice. That's my mission this summer, to break my record to mark my RX's 10 years on the road Anniversary in August.

Did it, finished a tank at 7.2L/100km (32.67 mpg). Was riding the last half of the tank at 7.1 (over 33) but slipped back to 7.2 the day I needed to fill the tank.

salimshah 07-25-19 05:46 AM

I have seen my MPG change substantially during summer of central Texas. I would expect the same in peak winter for cold places.

Salim

jozik 11-02-19 11:24 PM

Oddly enough I used to average anywhere from 24-26 in the summertime and a full tank would never show me more than 300 miles, I gassed up a few times with what I usually get - Costco premium😁🤘🏽 and have noticed a full tank showing me about 340+ miles and I have averaged between 27-29 mpg!! I have a 2013 RX450h, is there a different in the summertime fuel vs winter mixes?

rdy4flt 11-12-19 03:10 PM

My 2010 RX450 mileage

I have a 2010 450H sitting around 140,000 miles and I usually use regular octane. Short distance driving I get around 27 to 29 and long distance highway Ive been getting 30 to 31.5mpg.

WolfyLS460 11-25-19 06:51 PM

I get only 20mpg in short stop-and-go city trips (most of my driving), but 30-32mpg on open freeway.
Would I get better mpg with the new 450H in short stop-and-go trips or the same?
Depending on the answer, I may trade up next year to the 450H or the diesel Range Rover Td6.

gadgetman1 11-25-19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460 (Post 10667741)
I get only 20mpg in short stop-and-go city trips (most of my driving), but 30-32mpg on open freeway.
Would I get better mpg with the new 450H in short stop-and-go trips or the same?
Depending on the answer, I may trade up next year to the 450H or the diesel Range Rover Td6.

Of all people to answer this, I feel pretty confident to tell you, YES! The 450h does pretty good in stop & go. Worst case scenario, you will split down the middle, like me & continuously be in the mid to high 20s (25-27mpg).

Now, let’s talk about that diesel Range Rover that you need to run from. In a prior life, I owned a new diesel that did not live up to any of the hype it advertised for mpg. In 2 years of ownership, it spent over 200 days in the shop. The majority of the issues were emissions, followed closely by electrical & it progressively got worse. I had to hire a lemon law attorney & the pile of crap was bought back. Don’t buy ANY new diesel, regardless of the brand. The “clean diesel” emissions have rendered them unreliable & very expensive to repair. There is a reason why VW chose to cheat. The emissions systems cause all kinds of havoc inside the engine & the support systems are stressed to the breaking point. Many fire departments have gone back to gasoline powered ambulances. They can’t afford the repair bills & the excessive down time. I’ll back that up with the new 6.6 & 7.3 V-8 gasoline motors that Ford & GM have just introduced on their heavy duty pickup trucks.

i think you should go check out the 450h. Right now, you have a pretty reliable vehicle. With a Range Rover, I guarantee you will not. They are own by India’s Tata & they are at the bottom of the heap in reliability. I hope that gives you some info to help you decide.

WolfyLS460 11-26-19 06:08 AM

I'm disappointed in the MPG of these vehicles. Pretty steady at 24 mpg max , mixed city and highway in metro Atlanta. I think this car really cannot handle providing much if any MPG benefit at today's highway speeds. With the engine pulling the vehicle at 70 plus miles per hours with little to no meaningful battery assistance, the vehicle is just operating as a 350 and any hybrid city mileage boost is minuscule compared to the horrible 'high' speed driving MPG.

My own experience is just the opposite: 30+ mpg on open highway, 20-22 in city stop-and-go (which is what I do mostly, working in property management.) So I'm perplexed by the higher-than-highway city MPG that's in all the official measurements.