Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 11:42 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts

On my 2016 RX 450h, at 5,000 miles, I'm getting a pretty solid 26-27 mpg commuting to work & a little (5%) city driving. I can't complain one bit so far, as it's getting about what it should without being fully broken in. We are exceptionally pleased with this vehicle so far!
Old 11-08-16, 12:53 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by CRB
There is nothing more annoying than some jerk practicing "the art of coasting" in front of you in a traffic formation, especially when he (or she) is coasting into a "stale" green light and you know that you're the sap who is going to end up being in the pole position at the subsequent red light.
Road hazard? , LOL! I drive 2015 RX450h I used to fill up every week when I had Acura MDX or BMW X5. Now I fill up every two weeks and RX has 65 liter tank vs. BMW 85 Liter. I just drive RX like any other car. I got RX
because SWMBO liked it's seat(she has her own car). I wanted to buy an Audi Q7 Sports/tech. Next time in 2019, I'll, LOL!

Last edited by Htony; 11-08-16 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 04:36 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Htony
Road hazard? , LOL! I drive 2015 RX450h I used to fill up every week when I had Acura MDX or BMW X5. Now I fill up only twice a week and RX has 65 liter tank vs. BMW 85 Liter. I just drive RX like any other car. I got RX
because SWMBO liked it's seat(she has her own car). I wanted to buy an Audi Q7 Sports/tech. Next time in 2019, I'll, LOL!

Ha, ha - I agree! My dealer said "drive this car just like any other & don't concentrate on the hybrid." People "coasting" here in TX are a real danger on the Interstates where the speed limits are 75 & 80 mph.
Old 11-14-16, 02:14 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Im now averaging 25 mpg regularly. Again this is with driving like im driving a regular car. None of the hybrid style driving with winter socks on - so to speak.

However i I still think my battery or my engine isn't responding like it should. I did a 0 to 60 run the other day - once going east bound and once going west bound and averaged them at 9.1 seconds. This is a far cry from 6.8 seconds recorded by car and driver. I couldn't break torque this thing either. If you press the break and the gas together it simply won't rev up. So my run could not have been that different from the magazine's. I wonder what I'm missing.
Something sounds wrong. I don't have to be in sport mode, but if I punch it, good lord that this has power & it goes! No complaint there. something's not working in harmony between your electric & gas sides. Let us know what you find out.
Old 11-15-16, 01:47 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I did make a complaint at the dealer but you know how dealers are. They told me they have to charge me $150 for diagnostics if there is nothing wrong with the car. If it turns out that there is something wrong they need to swap out 1 or all (there are three) cells of the batteries, which they said is highly unlikely under warranty unless I have a system warning light on the car showing. In other words, they were going to keep my cash for doing nothing to my car. I said, "No Thanks."

The "consultants" who greet you at the door truly have no idea how cars work. He said I shouldn't be doing 0 to 60 tests and it may void the warranty. (we got in a little argument about what I can and cannot be doing with my own darn car) Even the "tech" that came out said that they don't have time to take my car out on the highway because they don't check power that way. they told me, however that I should rotate my tires, to which I said don't do it - I don't rotate tires as I like to replace as they wear out. (The stupid dealer always messes up the tire balancing and uses the wrong torque setting). As it turned out they rotated the tires when I picked them up. I got mad and made them rotate them back to original position and had them recheck the torque setting which they begrudgingly obliged.

One day later I discovered a nail stuck in my tire causing a slow leak. I hate the dealer service department. (BTW. I caused them a little more pain dealing with roof rack and wind noise but I'll keep my rant to a minimum seeing as this is an MPG thread)
Old 11-16-16, 01:19 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I would start with your salesman. If he doesn't cooperate, walk out in the showroom & start loudly telling all the potential customers they refuse to fix your car & charged you $150. I would also file a written complaint with the BBB & call Lexus Customer Care & tell them about your dealer service ordeal. Don't play, be a pain in their ***! Finally, find another dealer as these guys sound like a pile of turds.
Old 11-22-16, 06:57 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

with the "cooler" weather here in FL, I haven't used my A/C the last few days and have already seen a bump in MPG. Currently averaging 28.5mpg, I used to hover around 27 most of the time with my normal commute.
Old 11-23-16, 09:31 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

I had an 80 mile round trip with moderate hills on the highway yesterday and recorded a 25.5 mpg, which is really good for me. The cruise was set at 75 mph for about 70% of the way. The other times, I had to use the brakes due to traffic. this is really odd for me. My in-the-city driving only nets me about 24.5 to 25 mpg. I guess I have to attribute this to stop and go situation of Los Angeles traffic. It's more like jam on the brakes and mesh the throttle type of traffic.
Old 11-25-16, 09:40 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Brand-new owner of a 2010 450h. Over the first three tankfuls of fuel, about 26. Not much difference between city and highway. Last tank was premium fuel, in order to test the theory that if the engine was retarding on regular then I'd see an increase in mileage on premium. Nope, so far still 26 and change.

If I ran 100% gasoline through it I'm guessing another 2mpg. But this is Oregon, and the enlightened don't believe in gasoline in the first place, so ethanol is probably here to stay.
Old 11-27-16, 05:21 PM
RG33
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owner for one month of a 2014 R450h, on premium 25mpg
Old 11-28-16, 10:42 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

I've been experimenting with different octanes (91 & 89) and so far, I'm not seeing any difference in fuel mileage or performance. I haven't heard any engine pinging either. I haven't gotten brave enough to drop down to 87 yet, but as it warms up, I will. So far, so good.
Old 12-03-16, 12:08 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Cooler weather is here in southern CA now. About 50 degrees in the mornings when I m commuting. My last tank averaged 23.5. This is with a/c off in the mornings.

The engine seems to run a little longer in the morning. Otherwise no other change. I seems the battery is really sensitive to weather.

What MPG are other people getting from ares where It goes down to unheard of temps like 32 and below?
Old 12-03-16, 01:12 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 22.6 MPG in 1,250 miles over 3 days through the Foothills

Not what I'd call Aerodynamic, however.
Old 12-05-16, 04:53 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackpot

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Cooler weather is here in southern CA now. About 50 degrees in the mornings when I m commuting. My last tank averaged 23.5. This is with a/c off in the mornings.

The engine seems to run a little longer in the morning. Otherwise no other change. I seems the battery is really sensitive to weather.

What MPG are other people getting from ares where It goes down to unheard of temps like 32 and below?
Well you hit the jackpot. I'm from Buffalo. Cold enough for you! Our weather does nosedive into some really mind boggling temps. Your correct about the battery being affected by temp. Swings. With that said--- I find that after about an hour of driving the mpg is holding in the general range of warm weather driving. It does take awhile to adjust-- but it does. I won't bore you with mpg numbers. I'm perfectly happy with my 2015 RX hybrid. You might guess it is AWD. This car delivers everything I would want in a full size SUV. My only complaint is the change in styling for the 2016 to current production. They are cheap and butt ugly. In another year or so I will be in the market to purchase. This vehicle will not be on my radar. Why they ever cheapened the quality inside and out and put that hideous nose on the front I'll never understand. But-- the hybrid system is still excellent.
Old 12-05-16, 02:49 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by snowman22
Well you hit the jackpot. I'm from Buffalo. Cold enough for you! Our weather does nosedive into some really mind boggling temps. Your correct about the battery being affected by temp. Swings. With that said--- I find that after about an hour of driving the mpg is holding in the general range of warm weather driving. It does take awhile to adjust-- but it does. I won't bore you with mpg numbers. I'm perfectly happy with my 2015 RX hybrid. You might guess it is AWD. This car delivers everything I would want in a full size SUV. My only complaint is the change in styling for the 2016 to current production. They are cheap and butt ugly. In another year or so I will be in the market to purchase. This vehicle will not be on my radar. Why they ever cheapened the quality inside and out and put that hideous nose on the front I'll never understand. But-- the hybrid system is still excellent.
don't get me started on the cheapening of the whole RX design and stuff...... but that's for another day. Would you mind tickling me with your current MPG in your blustery weather of just about freezing?

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?