Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 02:49 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm at 27.3 MPG at 34,000 miles on my 2013h AWD over the past 17 months.

While it's not meeting nor exceeding the EPA's numbers, I am quite satisfied with my 450h - as my goal when I replaced my last car was to:

a) have more luxury than the one it replaced,
b) be more fuel efficient,
c) have more luggage space,
d) be manufactured by a company that has shown higher reliability than the one it replaced

I knew that the 2011 and later RXs ran on Regular fuel - which is why I was looking for a CPO RX-350. The only surprise was learning that the hybrid specified Premium -- and that tidbit was discovered after making the deal to purchase.

Aside from that (and well aware that some users on this message board disregard the manual and use substandard fuel with no short-term effects) - I hit the bullseye.

Last edited by NateJG; 07-01-15 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 03:46 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iginoc
What currently does not provide good results, is the P&G (pulse and glide) tecnique, so popular among the Priusers.
I pulse and glide all the time. I also keep the car in eco mode and keep an eye on predicted mpg at fuel up and the energy screen, which shows me when I'm on electric, electric and ICE or ICE only. I also stick to 60 mph as much as possible on our local freeway and 62-63 mph on SF Bay area freeways (right-hand lane so I don't get run over). I'm averaging 28.2 mpg over 15,000 logged miles, per Fuelly. This, despite the elevation changes and multiple stop signs in our neighborhood and the 1,800-ft. summit between us and the SF Bay area. (I have been going "over the hill" a lot for doctors appointments of late.)
Old 07-06-15, 09:47 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by NateJG
I'm at 27.3 MPG at 34,000 miles on my 2013h AWD over the past 17 months.

While it's not meeting nor exceeding the EPA's numbers, I am quite satisfied with my 450h - as my goal when I replaced my last car was to:

a) have more luxury than the one it replaced,
b) be more fuel efficient,
c) have more luggage space,
d) be manufactured by a company that has shown higher reliability than the one it replaced

I knew that the 2011 and later RXs ran on Regular fuel - which is why I was looking for a CPO RX-350. The only surprise was learning that the hybrid specified Premium -- and that tidbit was discovered after making the deal to purchase.

Aside from that (and well aware that some users on this message board disregard the manual and use substandard fuel with no short-term effects) - I hit the bullseye.

Son of a gun. I thought I knew all about this hybrid. I get excellent mpg and the vehicle runs like a charm---- but---and I feel dumb about this--- I never new it took premium gasoline. I had to look it up in the manuel because I didn't believe it. There it was Premium Fuel---- live and learn. Now the question remains-- since the car could never run any better than it is and the mpg is outstanding--- do I switch to premium or stay with regular????
Old 07-06-15, 01:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

To clarify, the switch to regular began with the 2012 RX350. Before that (2010-11), it was premium. It's always been premium on the 450h. snowman22, I can't tell you whether to make switch other than to say a few members have made the argument for both sides in this thread already.. You might also want to read through the RX350 mileage thread.
Old 07-06-15, 01:42 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

I have used premium fuel all along on the theory that it's probably better for this engine, that is if you accept the manufacturer's recommended fuel for the hybrid. I don't understand why the V6 in the 450h still requires premium fuel if the V6 in the 350 doesn't. Maybe somebody at Lexus can explain this to us. Anyway, I decided that after spending $41K for my car, I would be silly to nickel and dime the gasoline, especially since I don't have to fill up as often.

In any case, I doubt if you would see much if any improvement in your gas mileage by switching from regular to premium.
Old 07-07-15, 06:44 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
I have used premium fuel all along on the theory that it's probably better for this engine, that is if you accept the manufacturer's recommended fuel for the hybrid. I don't understand why the V6 in the 450h still requires premium fuel if the V6 in the 350 doesn't. Maybe somebody at Lexus can explain this to us. Anyway, I decided that after spending $41K for my car, I would be silly to nickel and dime the gasoline, especially since I don't have to fill up as often.

In any case, I doubt if you would see much if any improvement in your gas mileage by switching from regular to premium.
My understanding is it has a higher compression rate. That produces extra HP. Would be interesting to see the standard six vs the 450 h six compression rate.
Thanks for the feed back.
Old 07-07-15, 08:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

snowman22, I gave the link for the RX350 gas thread because some RX owners have noticed less power using regular. But keep in mind they're at 270 vs our 295. The 4RX is supposed to have the same HP across the board.
Old 07-07-15, 01:57 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the advertising, here premium fuel contains additives and detergents that are supposed to help to keep clean the engine, hence, being mine a pre owned car, for the first three tanks I 've been using the premium fuel (100 octane), just to make sure to clean up the fuel injectors.
However, from the next tank I'll switch to regular gasoline (94 octane), long term the extra 20 cents per litre have some serious impact on the operating costs. Let'see if regular gasoline use will affect the consumptions.

BTW, I have changed the tyres, from the Bridgeston Dueler to the Michelin Latitude custom version for Porsche Cayman (recognizable by the "NO" tag on the tyre sides), which compared with the normal Latitude tyres have less rolling resistance and better braking on wet; after the tyres change, my average has quickly improved from 26 to 28 mpg
Old 07-07-15, 05:12 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by iginoc
According to the advertising, here premium fuel contains additives and detergents that are supposed to help to keep clean the engine, hence, being mine a pre owned car, for the first three tanks I 've been using the premium fuel (100 octane), just to make sure to clean up the fuel injectors.
However, from the next tank I'll switch to regular gasoline (94 octane)
Where are you that premium is 100 octane and regular is 94? Our regular is 89 octane and our premium is 94, I think. Mid-grade is 91, I believe. In any case, I've never seen a pump here in Central California with 100-octane gas.
Old 07-08-15, 03:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

*Italy. And I think regular will be just fine for the RXh at 94 octane.
Old 07-08-15, 05:41 AM
Kingy68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
Where are you that premium is 100 octane and regular is 94? Our regular is 89 octane and our premium is 94, I think. Mid-grade is 91, I believe. In any case, I've never seen a pump here in Central California with 100-octane gas.
By way of comparison - In the UK our 'regular' is 95, Premium is 98 and 'Super' is 102.
We don't half pay for the extra RON though! ...
Old 07-08-15, 06:55 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't forget that the fuel in the US is a calculation of (Research Octane + Motor Octane Number) / 2 -- therefore, the RON for U.S. fuels is higher than the number (the quotient) posted on the pump.

It's a little bit of apples vs oranges when comparing across countries.

Research Octane Number (RON)

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON)

Another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), is determined at 900 rpm engine speed instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern pump gasoline will be about 8 to 12 octane lower than the RON, but there is no direct link between RON and MON. Pump gasoline specifications typically require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.[citation needed]

Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2

In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe,[citation needed] the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

Difference between RON, MON, and AKI

Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference between RON and MON is known as the fuel's Sensitivity,[4] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system.

If you can't sleep, try understanding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Last edited by NateJG; 07-08-15 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-08-15, 09:52 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
To clarify, the switch to regular began with the 2012 RX350. Before that (2010-11), it was premium. It's always been premium on the 450h. snowman22, I can't tell you whether to make switch other than to say a few members have made the argument for both sides in this thread already.. You might also want to read through the RX350 mileage thread.
Thanks for the feedback but I had a 2013 RX350. Beautiful car but my mpg was horrid. Even tried hightest-- no different at all. My average mpg was a high of 16.2 and in winter months went down to 13--14 mpg. Dealer checked several times--- nothing wrong. 'Twas the reason for the 2015 RX 450h.
Mpg is great as I stated so I don't want to mess with a good thing.
Old 07-08-15, 10:05 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I know about low mileage too. It was pretty bad at times on the previous RXs. The 450h sure gives a nice bump in that respect. Not that it's the main reason I went hybrid. And the whole 'which octane to use" is a well debated topic around here, maybe more so in the 350 gas thread since there was a switch in grades. I just go with what's required. It's a little easier for me since I have lower gas prices. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited by kitlz; 07-08-15 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-09-15, 05:11 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
I know about low mileage too. It was pretty bad at times on the previous RXs. The 450h sure gives a nice bump in that respect. Not that it's the main reason I went hybrid. And the whole 'which octane to use" is a well debated topic around here, maybe more so in the 350 gas thread since there was a switch in grades. I just go with what's required. It's a little easier for me since I have lower gas prices. Do what you feel comfortable with.
That's for sure. I always do. At this point,full steam ahead with the "Status Quo".

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?