Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Old 05-15-10, 09:35 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the temperature of the batteries is an excellent point. I believe it was a topic of controversy in the Fusion hybrid as city mileage could exceed 50 MPG in warm climates, but drop to around 30 in very cold climates. It will be something I am sure will have more of an influence on PHEV and EVs.
Old 05-15-10, 11:22 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol ironic that we are worried about Li ion batteries overheating better gas mileage!
Old 05-22-10, 01:57 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ziggy1
I've always experienced poorer fuel economy in the winter with all my cars. At one time I was wondering if part of the reason was the colder air being injected into the fuel mixture for ignition.

Colder air is denser, and more oxygenated. This means the computer has to compensate with more fuel to keep the air fuel ratio in the proper range.
That is also why cars generally make more power in cooler air.
Old 05-22-10, 02:59 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
Colder air is denser, and more oxygenated. This means the computer has to compensate with more fuel to keep the air fuel ratio in the proper range.
That is also why cars generally make more power in cooler air.
Thanks for the response. that makes sense and confirms my impressions.
Old 06-21-10, 01:24 PM
06i
Driver

hi guys,

is there a way for cdn cars to get the display in mpg? currently it displays L/100kms
tks
Old 06-21-10, 06:11 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 06i
hi guys,

is there a way for cdn cars to get the display in mpg? currently it displays L/100kms
tks
Not sure this will work for you or not.

Get in your car with your key fob.
No foot on brake pedal.
Turn your daylight running lights off.
Push the power button twice.
Holding the page icon on the steering wheel.
Rotate the light switch **** fully up and then down to off.
Your display may show the ECO setting choice.
Let go of page icon.
Flip the "enter" button down to the UNITS choices.
Press the "enter" button and toggle to the units you want.
Push "enter"
I should say Please Wait, while it saves.
Push the page icon when done.
Turn off or start car.

Disclaimer - I don't know if you will lose any saved mileage information or whether it changes units without info lost, nor do I know if this will even work in your car.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-10, 11:42 PM
06i
Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Not sure this will work for you or not.

Get in your car with your key fob.
No foot on brake pedal.
Turn your daylight running lights off.
Push the power button twice.
Holding the page icon on the steering wheel.
Rotate the light switch **** fully up and then down to off.
Your display may show the ECO setting choice.
Let go of page icon.
Flip the "enter" button down to the UNITS choices.
Press the "enter" button and toggle to the units you want.
Push "enter"
I should say Please Wait, while it saves.
Push the page icon when done.
Turn off or start car.

Disclaimer - I don't know if you will lose any saved mileage information or whether it changes units without info lost, nor do I know if this will even work in your car.

Good luck.
lol, are you trying to trick me? hehe, j/k will give it a try tomorrow (delivery day!) btw, is this in the manual?

tks!
Old 06-22-10, 12:04 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol that is most certainly not in the owners manual. haha, where did you learn that?
Old 06-23-10, 04:49 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol that is most certainly not in the owners manual. haha, where did you learn that?
What you all don't sit in your car pushing buttons, flashing lights and looking for hidden menus? It's a carry over from looking for "Easter Eggs" on Apple Computers.

The best one of course is if you push the power button once, turn the stereo to SAT 1 channel 151, open the glove box twice, put the owner's manual on the passenger's seat, open the center console wide open, turn the left seat control to full heat and the right seat control to full cool, the navigation screen will show a photo slideshow of the Japanese worker who inspected the paint of the car while the stereo plays "Whoop! There It Is".

Took hours to find that one and finally figured it out when I placed the manual centered on the passenger's seat. The weight of the book triggers sensors in the seat!!
Old 06-29-10, 10:58 AM
06i
Driver

does anyone drive with eco mode on all the time? the manual does say exactly what eco mode does and if it's ok to drive on all the time? anyone notice any increase in mpg with it on?

tks
Old 06-29-10, 11:18 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried 100% Eco mode with my last tank of gas, and got ~1.5 mpg better than standard mode (29 vs. 27.5 avg mpg). The tradeoff, as stated in the Owners Manual, is a somewhat throttled ECT and A/C output. Now, with 1500 miles on my 450h, I've decided I prefer the full powered acceleration when needed, and living in FL, the full A/C output is beneficial as well. I might switch back to Eco in the cooler months.
Old 07-01-10, 09:27 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Hanging in at 27.6 on regular. 30 in town, the 27.6 is my mix of town and highway. Cold weather hurts, and any fuel with ethanol really zaps the numbers, count on a 1-2 MPG loss.
Premium doesn't seem to matter. Last look at the odo said 13K or so.

That's in ECO mode.
Old 07-11-10, 05:58 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 2000 miles (mixed city/hwy, and mixed ECO/STD mode), I'm up to 29.8 MPG. Ever since getting my car, I've been entering all fuel data into the "FillUps" app on my Palm Pre. At this point, the Lexus' cumulative AVG MPG correlates very closely to "FillUps" calculated mileage, but the Lexus "MPG's since last fill up" is usually off a bit. For those of you fretting over the latter number, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as it appears to be only a rough "snapshot" of current fuel consumption. The cumulative "AVG MPG" is a better number to watch.

BTW, I'm using Shell Premium (with 10% Ethanol)

Last edited by sleepysurf; 07-11-10 at 06:36 AM. Reason: clarification on gas type
Old 07-11-10, 10:59 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

sleepysurf,

Try some non-ethanol fuel and let us know if you see a difference. I had to fuel up at WalMart and my MPG really took a hit. Heaven knows what's in that fuel. And it happened again at a Shell station with ethanol. Most of the Shell's in this area do not add ETOH. This one did and the mileage suffered, but that was regular.

Also, I have noticed some batch variations on mileage with different fill ups, as much as 2 MPG. Same grade, same brand, same station, same weather conditions -- better or worse mileage from tank to tank.

BTW -- I'm glad you are actually calculating your MPG over time to validate the onboard system. I keep intending to do that, but never seem to get around to it. Yes, I am lazy.
Old 07-11-10, 01:15 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
sleepysurf,

Try some non-ethanol fuel and let us know if you see a difference. I had to fuel up at WalMart and my MPG really took a hit. Heaven knows what's in that fuel. And it happened again at a Shell station with ethanol. Most of the Shell's in this area do not add ETOH. This one did and the mileage suffered, but that was regular.

Also, I have noticed some batch variations on mileage with different fill ups, as much as 2 MPG. Same grade, same brand, same station, same weather conditions -- better or worse mileage from tank to tank.

BTW -- I'm glad you are actually calculating your MPG over time to validate the onboard system. I keep intending to do that, but never seem to get around to it. Yes, I am lazy.
My on board system over time (about 3 months now) is showing 29.6). I mix back & forth between shell prem (93 octane here in GA) to Shell Plus 89 octane. I can't swear to it but I think it burns better than 93 which is overkill.

The label on the local Shell tanks here indicates up to 10% ethanol in the regular grade only which I don't burn. The dealer say's it's in all the grades but doesn't have the decals or other supporting info to prove it so who knows?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?