Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Finally a competitor to GS450H

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 08:23 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally a competitor to GS450H

Infiniti releases a M35 Hybrid with 3.5V6 plus electric motor. Seems like the first valid competitor to the GS450H. Description sounds pretty attractive.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEVA/100309982
Old 03-07-10, 08:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think thats awesome. I love Infiniti and I am hoping to see some new stuff from them in the future.
Old 03-07-10, 08:38 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think thats awesome. I love Infiniti and I am hoping to see some new stuff from them in the future.
It's amazing that Lexus had this niche to itself for so long. It's such a good idea.
Old 03-07-10, 09:18 PM
06GS916
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy is test driving the M35 Hybrid for Nissan right now. They are currently on the 2nd generation pre-production model with all the new equipment (nav, etc). I haven't seen it personally, but he tells me it is a nice car.
Old 03-08-10, 07:55 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Need to get the specs!!! There are so many kinds of hybrids from light to full. To be honest I do have some doubts whether Nissan could offer cutting edge hybrid technology at first attempt. Toyota and Honda got such a long learning curve behind them. Anyway, at least it sounds promising if it'll have lithium batteries...
Old 03-08-10, 08:27 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 06GS916
My buddy is test driving the M35 Hybrid for Nissan right now. They are currently on the 2nd generation pre-production model with all the new equipment (nav, etc). I haven't seen it personally, but he tells me it is a nice car.
Did he say anything about performance? I am curious whether it is designed to perform more like a V6 or like a V8. The spec says it has a V6 engine and is performance oriented which leads me to think more like a V8, however if its called M35 hybrid, that suggests a weaker powerplant.
Old 03-08-10, 01:17 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexzam
Need to get the specs!!! There are so many kinds of hybrids from light to full. To be honest I do have some doubts whether Nissan could offer cutting edge hybrid technology at first attempt. Toyota and Honda got such a long learning curve behind them. Anyway, at least it sounds promising if it'll have lithium batteries...
In all likelihood the hybrid technology is licensed from Toyota.
Old 03-08-10, 01:20 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
Did he say anything about performance? I am curious whether it is designed to perform more like a V6 or like a V8. The spec says it has a V6 engine and is performance oriented which leads me to think more like a V8, however if its called M35 hybrid, that suggests a weaker powerplant.
It would only suggest a weaker powerplant if Infiniti followed the same model naming convention as Lexus, which they clearly don't. "M35 hybrid" must mean 3.5 V6 + electric motor. There's no doubt in my mind given all I've read about this car in the last few months that will be a direct competitor to GS450h, i.e. a sports luxury hybrid sedan with V8-like performance. There is also no doubt in my mind that it will be more powerful than the GS450h. Just cause Infiniti always has to one-up everyone....
Old 03-08-10, 01:51 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, its about time... GS450h been on the road for some time now, its not a new car. I personally like what Infiniti did, I'm sure the new M will sell. However, they are still years behind. You gotta remember that this year is most likely the last year of GS450h, the new model is coming soon. So, we'll have to wait and see if the new hybrid M is valid competitor to the upcoming GSh or not.
Old 03-08-10, 05:54 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Modeler
It would only suggest a weaker powerplant if Infiniti followed the same model naming convention as Lexus, which they clearly don't. "M35 hybrid" must mean 3.5 V6 + electric motor. There's no doubt in my mind given all I've read about this car in the last few months that will be a direct competitor to GS450h, i.e. a sports luxury hybrid sedan with V8-like performance. There is also no doubt in my mind that it will be more powerful than the GS450h. Just cause Infiniti always has to one-up everyone....
This is exciting. It will be interesting if it matches the 4.95sec 0-60 time of the new Infiniti M56S.

I do think their branding department should improve the name. If the call it M35 hybrid it will sound like an entry-level M to most people. They should call it M50 hybrid following Lexus' convention, or call it M-Hybrid
Old 03-08-10, 10:50 PM
LexFather

I think its great they are coming with one and I can't wait to drive it. However not a fan of the looks/image/interior.

I wonder will they go after MPG more or performance like the GSh? If it averages 25-28 MPG that is a good step if performance is like a 450h or better.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Well, its about time... GS450h been on the road for some time now, its not a new car. I personally like what Infiniti did, I'm sure the new M will sell. However, they are still years behind. You gotta remember that this year is most likely the last year of GS450h, the new model is coming soon. So, we'll have to wait and see if the new hybrid M is valid competitor to the upcoming GSh or not.

Yeah the next GSh gets the 2nd gen Lexus hybrid drive system...I doubt the 3rd gen comes as the RX just debuted it.

Old 03-08-10, 10:51 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

i liked the previous generation M's
Old 07-06-10, 08:37 AM
LexFather

Some updated news on it..

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...06-703267.html

By Yoshio Takahashi Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--A Nissan Motor Co. (7201.TO) engineer said Tuesday that a gasoline-electric hybrid version of its Fuga sedan will likely be up to 90% more fuel-efficient than the gasoline-powered version.

"We expect (fuel economy) to improve by 60%-90%" over the conventional model, Koichi Hayasaki, a Nissan chief engineer, told reporters at a media briefing on the company's new power-train technology.

The remarks give the first indication of the fuel efficiency of the Fuga hybrid, which is Nissan's first gasoline-electric model sold on a full-scale basis using the company's own hybrid technology.

Nissan, Japan's second biggest car maker by volume, will roll out the Fuga hybrid this autumn in Japan and next year in the U.S. The model will be driven by a 3.5 liter V6 engine and an electric motor.

Nissan is strong in electric cars, but the company has fallen behind rivals such as Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.TO) in the hybrid car segment. It currently sells only its Altima hybrid model, which uses Toyota's hybrid technology.

Hayasaki said Nissan's own hybrid system will be about 30 kilograms lighter than Toyota's system, helping its cars to consume less gasoline. Nissan's system uses one electric motor whereas Toyota's uses two.

The engineer also said the cost of Nissan's hybrid system should be lower that those of Toyota's due to its simpler structure, though he declined to elaborate.

The hybrid Fuga could run up to 19 kilometers per liter, as the gasoline engine version goes about 10 kilometers per liter, he said.

The official fuel-efficiency of the car will be determined after testing, a Nissan spokesman said.

The new model will enhance the company's line up of green cars, as it joins the Leaf electric hatchback which will debut late this year. The Fuga is known as the Infiniti M model overseas.

Hayasaki said he wants the new Fuga to perform better than the hybrid version of Toyota's Crown luxury sedan, which can go 14 kilometers to 16 kilometers per liter, and the Lexus GS450h, which goes 14 kilometers per liter.

Old 07-06-10, 09:17 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wow, interesting news. so it will provide better fuel economy than our GS450h. but what about performance? will it also be able to accelerate quickly like the GS450h? the fact that it has a simpler design and only one electric motor suggests performance will depend on the conventional engine (and fuel efficiency from the hybrid powertrain), but i'm just guessing here. we'll need to see performance results when the fuga/M comes out.....
Old 07-06-10, 11:01 AM
sprintz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stormforge
wow, interesting news. so it will provide better fuel economy than our GS450h. but what about performance? will it also be able to accelerate quickly like the GS450h?
Article states a fuel efficiency figure of 19kg per liter (about 45miles / gal).
This is NOT a competitor to the (powerful) GS450h.

Quick Reply: Finally a competitor to GS450H