Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

in what settings do you leave you 450h? sport? power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 10:07 PM
magmasilk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in what settings do you leave you 450h? sport? power?

i want to leave in pwr for those occasional unplanned bursts but wouldn't that defeat the hybrid-ness? anyone do test to see how much mpg you lose with pwr?
Old 12-24-09, 12:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, why not? you buy a car to fit your driving. if you want the power, put it in pwr mode. why care about the gas mileage? just drive!
Old 12-24-09, 09:59 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have the pwr and sport mode turned on all the time.
Old 12-25-09, 03:37 AM
stefanati
Rookie

Although I ususally drive fast, I usually drive without sport mode, or pwr.... I usually have normal settings.... Still have enough power for all situations.... ))
Old 12-25-09, 02:39 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I honestly could never tell the difference between these modes. I leave it in Sport mode, but in the regular Hybrid mode instead of Power. I figure that I never felt lacking power in this car, so why switch to the mode that potentially lowers fuel economy?
Old 12-25-09, 04:09 PM
stefanati
Rookie

The transmission "learns" how you drive and I think the car can only be faster, if you drive it hard for a few km... In case I switch these buttons, I don't feel too much difference either....
Old 02-28-10, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Sport tunes the shocks...Power tunes the throttle....

Sport/Normal is noticeable to me more on the highway...the ride turns more traditional Lexus cushy and floats more over bumps in the road. On short trips I notice less of a difference.

To me the difference between power and normal is staggering. When in power mode the gas pedal is very sensitive and the car is very eager to "pounce" . It makes it more fun and much easier to speed.

In normal the gas pedal is much less affected by your inputs and I notice a great difference in MPG when I drive in that mode. The car drives with its same power but not so eager to use it all right away.

I seem to go through moods . When I first got it I was all normal for the best MPG. Then for a few months all power/sport and saw my MPG drop and my chances of a ticket increase

I'm back cruising now when I drive this car.
Old 03-29-10, 12:54 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've taken measurements in all modes when car had about 5k, and I've realized better mileage in pwr mode. I was confused with such result, and shared my experience on this board. Some owners noticed same result, so I've never put in normal since. I've been using pwr for daily cruising, and bumpy roads, but quickly switch to sport for better handling feel, and throttle response. I've also noticed that if you are in the normal mode, and switch to sport it feels like pwr automatically turnes on. Anyways, my best highway mpg result so far was 33mpg (in pwr mode) on distance of 120miles with avg speed 76mph, and not exceeding 85mph...
The following users liked this post:
AlexDev (06-26-19)
Old 03-30-10, 11:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chopperpl
I've taken measurements in all modes when car had about 5k, and I've realized better mileage in pwr mode. I was confused with such result, and shared my experience on this board. Some owners noticed same result, so I've never put in normal since. I've been using pwr for daily cruising, and bumpy roads, but quickly switch to sport for better handling feel, and throttle response. I've also noticed that if you are in the normal mode, and switch to sport it feels like pwr automatically turnes on. Anyways, my best highway mpg result so far was 33mpg (in pwr mode) on distance of 120miles with avg speed 76mph, and not exceeding 85mph...
Nice MPG....

I agree sometimes my MPG in power doesn't dip. To me though there is a very noticeable difference in throttle response between power and normal.

Love the CVT. Never thought I would say that.
Old 11-19-14, 04:18 PM
warren52nz
Driver School Candidate

Default Power Mode

From what I've been able to gather, power mode just changes the input curve on the gas pedal. So if half throttle on Normal mode gives you 1/2 throttle input into the computer, in power mode half throttle will deliver something more than half throttle command to the computer (say 60% instead of 50%). So it feels more responsive for the same amount of pedal input. But at full throttle in either mode you will get the same acceleration.
I'm not certain about this but that's what I'm hearing from those few people who seem to know.

As for Sport mode, I can't say I feel the difference in the suspension.

- 2007 GS450h fully optioned in platinum
Old 11-27-14, 02:25 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i have the pwr and sport mode turned on all the time.
I had a feeling this was bad for hybrid system, as faster charging/faster discharging reduces the life of a battery. My batterie were replaced but still.
I usually drive with Sport on, cause the car doesnt move quick enough.
And when im on the highway at 100 i switch to normal.
I use sport+power when some idiot especially fun with V8 with loud exhausts, who see the hybrid sign on the side and think that means slow.
Or some idiot in an Audi A4 2.0T who thinks they want to show me what a power ful car does.
After i launch it, they dont try again
Old 11-27-14, 02:34 AM
sonnyhood
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by warren52nz
As for Sport mode, I can't say I feel the difference in the suspension.
Im just on 30 years old, just after i replaced my shocks, i was on sport mode and was 'kind of' racing someone, at about 80-100 at the time, and hit a bump in the road and put my back out HAHA
I felt so old !!
Had to drive on normal all the way home.
Sport is electronically dampener, theres a little cable conencted to the top of the shock.
I run my tyres at 36psi all round, maybe if you have your pressure too high you wont notice the smoother ride on normal?