Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Cancelled 450h order today

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 11:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Cancelled 450h order today

Hi all,

I decided to cancel the order on my 450h. It's really hard because it's probably sitting on a dock a few miles away from me at the moment Delivery was in a few days It all started over the weekend when I had an overwhelming feeling that this was not the car for me. I could not shake it. I only found peace with when I thought about cancelling altogether. Still, it's a little sad...

I spoke to my sales guy about an hour ago. He was very understanding. We'll regroup in a few weeks and try again. I have a few questions to get answers to. Unfortunately he can't help me. So it's time for me to do a little more homework. And I'll use your critiques/assessments. Bottom line, I am perfectly fine with waiting a few months. I feel better already.

Thanks
Old 08-10-09, 12:09 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it about that particular RX450h or is it about RXs in general?
Old 08-10-09, 12:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

It was the one I ordered, not the 450h in general. I have to look into a few things before I can feel comfortable ordering it again.
Old 08-10-09, 12:25 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
It was the one I ordered, not the 450h in general. I have to look into a few things before I can feel comfortable ordering it again.
Was it about the packages you ordered or you just had a feeling that something may be/go wrong with this car?

Sorry, I'm just curious.
Old 08-10-09, 12:26 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

don't wish to pry, but are you able to tell us what your concerns were? if you could tell us, we can help you through the decision making process.
Old 08-10-09, 01:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Stormforge
don't wish to pry, but are you able to tell us what your concerns were? if you could tell us, we can help you through the decision making process.
Thank you Stormforge, I really appreciate it. This isn't easy but I have to partially blame myself. I rushed into ordering without researching the different packages/options. The one I was getting had the Prem/Nav/Com packages but I believe no LED headlights. I love those LEDs, have to get them. And then Enform comes out. I would miss out on that. I didn't add HUD, remote start or PCS/dynamic cruise control. I would have liked those too. So overall it was pretty basic, nothing too special, just too blah for me.

One of the things I want to look into is the stereo. I have done mods in my 04 RX because of the poor quality. Yes, this is extremely important to me because I have hearing problems. I need clarity, not distortion. I tried my iPod (through USB wire) in the 450h but it's not acceptable. So I am faced with the dilemna, do I go with ML or see what my installer to can do? I'll meet with him soon to help figure this out and compare it with ML.

I am also considering adding the sport package. I drove a 2010 RX350 with it a few months ago. The tighter ride and steering is nice. And I'm used to it - I have the performance package in my 04. VDIM is a plus. Maybe it'll help prevent the back end from swinging out in the snow/ice during turns a little. The superchrome finish on the wheels is ok but nothing special. Same with the suspension. Overall I think it's worth the extra few bucks.

The things I don't want include the luxury package even though I will miss the illuminated sills. The wood kit for the steering wheel and shifter has got to go. Don't like it - never have, never will. They are packaging it with the cargo net and wheel locks around here for $330. I'll take the net and locks only.

That's about it. I will go to a dealer in the next few weeks to look more closely at some of the "issues" brought up - lack of storage, unlit controls. These are definitely not deal breakers in my book but I'm curious. I might go to a different dealer and waste their time instead of going back to my guy. He's a little far. Fortunately I have about 15 other dealers to choose from. It also might be interesting to see what the other dealers points out about the RX. And of course any additional input from here would be fantastic.

Thanks to all
Old 08-10-09, 02:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Thank you Stormforge, I really appreciate it. This isn't easy but I have to partially blame myself. I rushed into ordering without researching the different packages/options. The one I was getting had the Prem/Nav/Com packages but I believe no LED headlights. I love those LEDs, have to get them. And then Enform comes out. I would miss out on that. I didn't add HUD, remote start or PCS/dynamic cruise control. I would have liked those too. So overall it was pretty basic, nothing too special, just too blah for me.
Up here in Canada, LED headlamps, HUD, PSC and dynamic cruise control only comes with the ultra premium package (luxury package for you in the US?). If you can get the individual options you want separately, all the power to you. Lexus Enform is not even available up here!

One of the things I want to look into is the stereo. I have done mods in my 04 RX because of the poor quality. Yes, this is extremely important to me because I have hearing problems. I need clarity, not distortion. I tried my iPod (through USB wire) in the 450h but it's not acceptable. So I am faced with the dilemna, do I go with ML or see what my installer to can do? I'll meet with him soon to help figure this out and compare it with ML.
So i assume ML audio is not satisfactory? IMHO, ML audio is fair quality for stock, and is adequate. You want better sound than ML gives, you are looking more towards audiophile sound system (ie: big bucks - been there, did that in my old Mercedes: $50K+ in stereo equipment and labour, I used to compete at IASCA car stereo competitions ). Yes, you can add aftermarket, any good car audio installer worth his stripes can give you good sound. Question is how picky are you?

I am also considering adding the sport package. I drove a 2010 RX350 with it a few months ago. The tighter ride and steering is nice. And I'm used to it - I have the performance package in my 04. VDIM is a plus. Maybe it'll help prevent the back end from swinging out in the snow/ice during turns a little. The superchrome finish on the wheels is ok but nothing special. Same with the suspension. Overall I think it's worth the extra few bucks.
I'm not sure you can get sport package for the RX450h (at least it's not an available option for the 450h up here in Canada). You'll need to check with your salesman. There are quite a few aftermarket parts for the 2nd gen RX, and I suspect that 3rd gen RX will shortly have them too. As for wheels, I would rather go with aftermarket and get some nice rims. Too many wheel choices out there to be confined with what sport package offers. IMHO, I'd skip the sports package unless you don't plan on modifying your RX with aftermarket parts and plan on leaving everything stock.

The things I don't want include the luxury package even though I will miss the illuminated sills. The wood kit for the steering wheel and shifter has got to go. Don't like it - never have, never will. They are packaging it with the cargo net and wheel locks around here for $330. I'll take the net and locks only.
Illuminated sills should come out in time, either in Japan or domestically. Just get it when it does. Even if it doesn't, there's no point in getting the luxury package just for the sills if you don't like what is offered. Alternatively, you can always buy the front illuminated sills from your dealer and have them installed separately.
Old 08-10-09, 04:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Stormforge, rather than go line by line, I am attaching the link to the description from the RX brochure showing the packages/options/accessories. It'll make it easier to compare to what you have to what we can get here - http://ebrochures.lexus.com/publicat...2#/4d9712a2/45

Prices
Premium-$2400
Comfort-$2000
Luxury-$4800
Nav-$2400
Sport-$1300

My sales guy said he would work with me to do a special order. I can combine packages with the exception of luxury and sport. I want everything except luxury. I believe I can add options like LED headlights ($1875), HUD ($1200) and PCS/dynamic cruise control ($1500) ala carte. If anybody knows different, please let me know. I would hate to figure out what I want to only have Lexus say they can't do it.

Re the stereo, I have not heard the ML system in the RX. That's why I want to visit the dealer to see if it's worth it. My gut feeling tells me no. I went from just changing speakers in my 04 RX to dropping about $6K in total. My installer did a great job, all custom, and almost everything is hidden. I doubt ML or the stock system will come close but I'm not looking to drop another $6K. Define picky? All I want is clarity, clarity, clarity. A little thumping doesn't hurt either

The only mods I would consider besides the stereo are the sills and mud flaps. I might change my mind about adding more as 3 gen AM parts come out. But I personally like the rims so no change there.

I think that's it for now. Again thanks to all for getting me through my little crisis.
Old 04-14-10, 01:08 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The 450h and the 350/Sport package are built in Japan. I don't think you can play around with the Sport package. Some other posters have complained that their sales guy told them they could but found out it was not possible in the end. I'm also looking at the Sport version.
Old 04-14-10, 03:15 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Quite scary to see this thread up again. I thought Anita got hers already...
Old 04-14-10, 03:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I did, I did! With the sport package and everything else I wanted. Took a little over four months from order date but so worth it
Old 04-14-10, 06:58 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you are not in love with it at the dealer you will never be happy with it at home. I am waiting for Lexus to put the Luxury package and HUD in the FWD 450H. Good luck with what ever you find.
Old 04-14-10, 07:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Burnaby
The 450h and the 350/Sport package are built in Japan. I don't think you can play around with the Sport package. Some other posters have complained that their sales guy told them they could but found out it was not possible in the end. I'm also looking at the Sport version.
you can order the sport package for the 450h, but only in the US. if you absolutely want the sport version, your only choice is the 350 (or import a US spec 450h with sport package - custom order that will take at least 4 months).
Old 04-15-10, 06:36 AM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't get sport pkg with lux pkg in US--that concerned me at first but the car handles quite well and my wife loves her car.

My only complaint is the ipod integration and the nav system which is just not intuitive.
Old 04-15-10, 06:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Hal, you got a lot more by ordering the luxury package. There's not much to the sport package. While it does affect handling and suspension a bit, I don't think everyone would like the ride.

I'm with you on the iPod

Quick Reply: Cancelled 450h order today