Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.
Old 01-09-15, 10:37 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

H11 hid conversion kit for RX400h fog light

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 08:04 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default H11 hid conversion kit for RX400h fog light

I finally find the time to get around to install the kit from HIDEXTRA.com,
this is a 35Watt hid kit ($60) for the kit, everything came with the kit,
(i.e. all the cables, adapter cables, ballast, bulb, heavy duty double sided tape
and zip ties)

I originally plan on pulling the bumper out just a tad but found out that I have to pull the front bumper out almost half way out, I used a jack stands with a tower to support the bumper, also had 2 other towers on the end of each side of the bumper so when i pull the bumper, i'm not scratching the fenders

To remove front bumper, remove the 5 tabs bumper cover once you pop the hood

You also need to remove 2 bolts one of each end of the bumper behind the wheel well, 2 allen nut on the bottom half of the bumper and 2 bottom screw
at the bottom of the bumper where the mud guard is

Once you loosen up all 6 bolts/nuts gentle pull the bumper out half way
make sure you have the towers on each end of the bumper and on the jack stand. Use the jack stand to support the bumper so it won't accidentally fall on the ground scratching your bumper or damaging the projector fog light.

You will see on each side there is a flat service available to mount the ballasts, use alcohol wipes to clean area and make sure it's clean so the heavy duty double sided tape can adhere properly.

passenger side mount

Driver side mount

Remove existing H11 bulbs, disconnect wire

install Hid H11 bulb onto projectors

connect all the cables as per instructions came with kit

clean the ballast surface with alcohol wipes before adding the double sided tape on.

mount the ballasts as seen on picture above.

test fog lights before putting the front bumper back

use zip ties for cable management as needed

reinstall bumper in reverse instructions

Finish product

I also end up installing the Thundercloud grille and led side mirrors today too.

So far
Stage 1: Installed PIAA H11 Extreme white bulbs - slight improvement over stock
Stage 2: Installed 35Watt HID H11 conversion kit, - improve visibility, a good sign
Stage 3: Install a TSX Bi-xeon projector with full 55Watt OEM kit....pending on budget
Stage 4: Install super-charged ballasts instead of OEM ballast for improve lighting.....need to wait for Stage
3 to complete before proceeding to Stage 4

Last edited by mowmow; 07-20-09 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-19-09, 10:54 PM
Sunapollo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a set I got the 3000k which Kelvin kit did you get ?

Last edited by Sunapollo; 07-19-09 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-19-09, 11:56 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

I got the 5000K which is whiter than the factory 4300K. On the freeway, there is a bit of improve visibility.
Old 07-20-09, 01:25 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reason you didn't go with a higher kelvin rating, just wondering?

Also, what's the warranty like with HIDextra.com?

Are these brand name ballast and bulbs or generic?

Plug and play or did you have to do some wiring to the battery and other places?

Seems like a very good price for a complete kit even if it is the 35w kit. Did you change the OEM HID bulb to something higher?

There are other Bi-Xenon projectors out there, any particular reason you want the TSX? The light output of the TSX, along with others, have been known to be very very good, so when you state "pending budget" that sounds about right for them as they are one of the more expensive projectors out there.

What is this "supercharged ballast" you speak of? I've never heard of such a thing.

If you haven't already, check out www.retrofitsource.com
Old 07-20-09, 09:27 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by veleno
Any reason you didn't go with a higher kelvin rating, just wondering?

Also, what's the warranty like with HIDextra.com?

Are these brand name ballast and bulbs or generic?

Plug and play or did you have to do some wiring to the battery and other places?

Seems like a very good price for a complete kit even if it is the 35w kit. Did you change the OEM HID bulb to something higher?

There are other Bi-Xenon projectors out there, any particular reason you want the TSX? The light output of the TSX, along with others, have been known to be very very good, so when you state "pending budget" that sounds about right for them as they are one of the more expensive projectors out there.

What is this "supercharged ballast" you speak of? I've never heard of such a thing.

If you haven't already, check out www.retrofitsource.com

1) I don't like to go to higher kelvin light because high kelvin means closer to true light which is cool and all but it's useless as far as visibility on the road I would prefer 4300 cos over time bulbs do eventually turn into higher kelvin by itself over time.

2) for warranty of the HIDextra's product, refer to their website

3) Everything was plug and play with this kit, nothing goes to the battery
there is a relay kit that you can make yourself but I opted not to do it.

4) For $60 kit, it's the China or Taiwan made ballast which is fine for this particular setup.

5) No i did not change the OEM 4300k bulb to anything higher, there is a misconception out there that higher kelvin bulbs have better visibility...no really, it's certainly cooler as far as color goes but for visibility, it's not besides I have plans on retrofitting the stock projector already with my retrofitter Littodevil.

6) TSX projectors are easy to fine, good price and pretty good cutoff line, I've had FX bixeon on my previous retrofit, it's nice and wide to accompany my valeo on my Scion tC. This time I'm thinking of using TSX but it's a maybe, pending on fitment issue and you ask why budget pending, cos I don't like the hack and slash retrofits, instead more of the OE look so I will need my retrofit guy to help me out and he is amazing but not cheap, and I want to make use of the bixeon feature of the projector too so there are other modification require hence it's cost money to do all this, that is why budget pending.

7) SuperCharged ballast is something Littodevil designed, the efficency of those ballasts greatly out performs the OE ones giving a much brighter beam, they do shorten the lifespan of the HID bulb but bulbs are not as expensive anymore

8)I've posted this link up before but here is the write up Littodevil did for me on my scion tC, the projectors are machine mount and very OE look

Quad projector write up

I will check out the link, thank you for input
Old 07-20-09, 08:11 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Wonderful, thanks for the detailed write-up with pics!
Old 07-21-09, 12:16 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

You are more than welcome, I see this question asked too many times and might as well once and for all take care of it now every RX400H owner should have no problem converting that stock fog light into HID setup

Mods, is this write up worth being a sticky ?
Old 07-21-09, 03:57 PM
HIDXTRA
Former Sponsor

Thank you mowmow for your feedback and review!!!! We at hidextra.com greatly appreciates your support and business, this motivates us to continue providing good customer service , specials and promotions!

If you ever come across any questions, don't hesitate to email me or call me! Thanks!

Michelle
Old 02-21-11, 02:55 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Update: My passenger side bulb went out recently. I did went back to HIDextra.com
to purchase another set during their valentine promotional period. I did opt for the harness kit which I found out later it is very important, the constant power regulating of the voltage makes the kit much more stable. I'm happy again
Old 02-22-11, 02:00 PM
HIDXTRA
Former Sponsor

Glad everything is working out for you, mowmow. Just let us know if you have any question for us!
Old 04-18-11, 02:44 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

2nd Update, almost 2 months in the new bulb is going out again, this batch of bulb much have poor quality !!! I did contact HIDEXTRA to see if they can replace bulb and ballast only.
Old 04-22-11, 08:58 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Yep... I hear ya, just can't see ya

Many moons ago, I threw in HID ballasts and bulbs in my 2006 RX 400H "driving" Fog Lights.

I initially used 50Watts ballasts and bulbs, and ran into a "bulb" that stopped working. I tried another bulb, it didn't work, and tried swapping out the ballast from the working side to the non working side and it didn't work either.

I bought another kit 35 Watt ballast and bulbs and same chit. I have since gone back to conventional halogen bulbs.

I would like to once again have the power and performance of 50W HID (it really SHINES and performs in inclement weather and poorly lit areas like the woods) compared to the 35W (I only use it in inclement weather, and not for "show").

I guess the option to date is to shop and purchase multiple kits from sites like DealExtreme or DHgate and when they blow, swap and go.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 04-22-11, 10:14 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

I guess so too, 50watt kit is better but more expensive and it's suppose to be about 12%
brighter, well HIDextra is working with me to get replacement parts which is very professional of them. I'm thinking since the factory 4300K HID is H11 35watt, I might get a set of those instead since they are suppose to be better made.
Old 07-30-12, 07:13 AM
Sublime311
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys mean a 55 watt system?

The OEM Fog light bulbs are 55w so if you can use a 55w HID system. A true 55w HID system includes both the 55w HID bulbs AND the 55w Ballast.

Has anyone experienced flickering at startup with HID fogs?

Are you using an extra harness which connects directly to your battery?

Last edited by Sublime311; 08-13-12 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-30-12, 09:35 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

how much glare for on-coming traffic?

seems like it would be a lighting overkill

but thanks for making a DIY: Front Bumper Removal and Fog Light Bulb replacement..

Quick Reply: H11 hid conversion kit for RX400h fog light