Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h unanswered questions battery life

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 07:15 AM
Conserv858
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by samsonn25
Update 221k on original traction battery, but the light comes on every 100 miles now, deterioration in battery pack but i reset it with a hand held scanner.

I was tempted to have it rehauled and change out 6-8 of the cells, but

Im gonna see if I can take it to 250k
that's great to hear!! I was tempted to do the same, keep resetting code. The hybrid battery wasn't holding its charge as well as before, but would still cycle and drive fine. The car was constantly in purple.

I thought about doing the same, reset the code and keep driving, but the Lexus subsidy was pretty good.

Have you experienced other issues? I hope to attain your mileage.

​​​​​​They say transmission box is the next to go, and it is a hefty part cost.
Old 07-14-19, 04:57 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Update I have 245k miles now.

I can keep resetting the codes and my traction battery still gets 7-8 bars green. You case sounds like too many bad cells.

I replaced center pipe that holds the downstream o2 sensor because it was leaking in 7-8 spots. I think my passenger catalytic converter is going, throws code for inefficiency, but i keep reset and it runs fine for 1-2 days.

Finally cleaned the throttle body this week (Man it was really black- I guess with 245k) Improves low speed idle and solved problem of engine still running while car is idle even though battery does not need to be charged. Cleared the IAC code too which recently came on when we started to use the air conditioning more.

I plan on tranny dran and diff oil change at 250-260k

Am thinking about waterpump soon as some have been known to fail and brick an engine. (I already have it) My mechanic says dont do it unless you hear bearing noise or until it starts leaking, his Corolla he said lasted past 330k LOL

Maybe sparkplugs soon as this second set was put in at 110k
The following 3 users liked this post by samsonn25:
Bluetheron (07-28-20), Conserv858 (07-14-19), rryba (08-12-19)
Old 07-14-19, 03:35 PM
Conserv858
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus GS 450h

Thanks for sharing, glad to read you're doing fine with 250K miles.

I'm at 87K, had the battery pack replaced by the dealer at cost, which was half off list. They also flashed the software, supposedly there was a service bulletin. You're right, the code was bad cells.

Have you had any transmission issues? The Lexus tech said the electronic transmission is the next to go.
Old 07-15-19, 12:49 AM
kim_gs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally cleaned the throttle body this week (Man it was really black- I guess with 245k) Improves low speed idle and solved problem of engine still running while car is idle even though battery does not need to be charged. Cleared the IAC code too which recently came on when we started to use the air conditioning more.
Can I ask you how you cleaned the throttle body? My engine also keeps running now and then - even when there is no charging demand or need for heating. So maybe the cleaning of the throttle body would be a good idea.
Old 07-15-19, 08:51 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by kim_gs
Can I ask you how you cleaned the throttle body? My engine also keeps running now and then - even when there is no charging demand or need for heating. So maybe the cleaning of the throttle body would be a good idea.
Your engine is probably doing idle speed control calibration, once fully warmed up. The throttle body is incredibly easy to access. The MAF - even more so.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lwerewolf:
kim_gs (08-03-19), rryba (08-12-19)
Old 07-22-19, 04:56 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kim_gs
I was tempted to buy a used one for $50 and clean it then swap it out, but I didnt want to deal with the coolant lines and a new throttle body gasket.

So with thye engine off I took off the rubber intake hose and sprayed the outside of the blade first then waited a min and wiped if off, then used end of screwdriver to push in on the pivot side of the blade so I could spray and clean inside of that top or bottom half of the inside and also the back of the blade, then did the other side (top/bottom). Cleaned inside of body and back of throttle blades, making sure throat was clean and smooth and edges of throttle blade was clean, and front and back. There is also the IAC under the throttle body than may have gunk in it too.

This solved my problem with the engine still running even though there are 2-3 bars of energy on the meter, normally the engine does not need to run and charge the traction battery yet. I noticed immediate improvement, and the car has learned the new cycle.

Last edited by samsonn25; 07-22-19 at 05:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kim_gs (08-03-19)
Old 07-31-19, 06:49 PM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Update I have 245k miles now.

I can keep resetting the codes and my traction battery still gets 7-8 bars green. You case sounds like too many bad cells.

I replaced center pipe that holds the downstream o2 sensor because it was leaking in 7-8 spots. I think my passenger catalytic converter is going, throws code for inefficiency, but i keep reset and it runs fine for 1-2 days.

I plan on tranny dran and diff oil change at 250-260k

Am thinking about waterpump soon as some have been known to fail and brick an engine. (I already have it) My mechanic says dont do it unless you hear bearing noise or until it starts leaking, his Corolla he said lasted past 330k LOL

Maybe sparkplugs soon as this second set was put in at 110k
This is great stuff. Currently have an 09 w 60k miles so seeing owners personally get this far on first traction battery is music to my ears.
Old 10-01-19, 11:06 AM
vmirjamali
Driver

Originally Posted by Conserv858
Thanks for sharing, glad to read you're doing fine with 250K miles.

I'm at 87K, had the battery pack replaced by the dealer at cost, which was half off list. They also flashed the software, supposedly there was a service bulletin. You're right, the code was bad cells.

Have you had any transmission issues? The Lexus tech said the electronic transmission is the next to go.
I'm confused why at cost? If you're in california, and the car is under 150k and 10 years it should be fully covered. Isn't that right?
Old 03-01-20, 05:55 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

I was driving on my original traction battery until 262k miles when I hit a dear on the highway and it totalled my front end and the Insurance company wrote it off. It probably would have still gone to 300k miles with a few weak cells.
The following 2 users liked this post by samsonn25:
Bluetheron (07-28-20), Im2bz2p345 (03-01-20)
Old 07-31-20, 07:23 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if you talk about battery life itself, it should last a pretty darn long time. the prius is a good example, i don't hear significant number of battery "issues" after warranty. in fact all these batteries on hybrid toyota/lexus they are very under utilized in order to maintain quality and reliability over the years (that's why on prius there are mods to increase capacity to achieve 100mpg or more power)

now other electronic systems related to the hybrid system, that i can't really say much about
Wrong those batteries die at about 120k
​​​Especially if you're not cleaning the blower motor that cleans the battery.
Old 08-03-20, 10:03 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jjchicago
Wrong those batteries die at about 120k
​​​Especially if you're not cleaning the blower motor that cleans the battery.
Easily 250-300k stock untouched

Old 08-03-20, 11:02 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Easily 250-300k stock untouched

Are you doing any maintenance on the hybrid battery? What city state do you live in? 🤔
I don't see the ev light on is that a hybrid? 😏
Old 08-05-20, 04:18 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Are you doing any maintenance on the hybrid battery? What city state do you live in? 🤔
I don't see the ev light on is that a hybrid? 😏
Maintenance on the battery?? Please fill me in..
Old 08-05-20, 11:00 AM
jjchicago
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexDev
Maintenance on the battery?? Please fill me in..
See

AlexDev (08-06-20)
Old 08-06-20, 04:23 AM
AlexDev
Pit Crew

Good stuff. What’s the cost on one of these? Has anyone had some good/bad experiences with this stuff that they’d like to share?
spineman (11-30-20)

Quick Reply: GS450h unanswered questions battery life