Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

2007 RX-400H M/L sound system gripe ..

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 08:49 AM
dudeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 RX-400H M/L sound system gripe ..

My 400H is a 2007 model (RHD in Hong Kong) without the voice-command GPS system. My head unit malfunctioned several months back when CD #4 jammed, and I took it to the local dealer for repair, who then removed it and sub'ed it out as according to the in-country Lexus importer's arrangement for the M/L unit. I drove without any sound system for a week.

The thought then came to me that I should just get rid of the M/L head unit. I wasn't in love with it to start with. Nowadays, after-market 2xDIN with 7 inch LCD's are awesome! Some have built-in GPS which my car lacks, and back-up cam. input which my car lacks, and iPod interface which my car lacks, and bluetooth. I believe there's a 90% chance that I will be making the switch soon.

So, any how -- my question to other owners is -- is there a way to keep the stock speaker system AND improve the sound quality ? When the car was down for two week due to body work, the dealer provided me with an IS also equipped with a M/L sound system, and I noticed the sound quality of the IS was much better in mid-range and bass.

My concern with keeping the stock speakers if possible is to avoid any un-sightly modification to door panels and such for after-mkt speakers if at all possible.

Also, from the looks of the stock set-up, it appears to be tweeter + mid range with cross-over unit, and I guess there may be a factory supplied amplifier some where. If so, I wonder if I can just upgrade the amp.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by dudeman; 08-06-08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-28-08, 02:14 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Backup camera would be very useful in HK...and what's up with this guy's response? Looks like he forgot what he wanted to say.
Old 09-08-08, 11:34 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

I did the same thing. I replaced my ML head unit w a DblDin Alpine W505 unit w built-in iPod interface cable, backup camera, and soon to add a Blackbird bluetooth/GPS unit. I too am looking for a little more, but don't want to add a sub that'll take up space. Replace or add an amp, or replace the ML speakers would be my guesses.

As far as comparing the ML system in the IS, that's a very unfair comparison. The IS has a MUCH smaller cabin, so naturally the system will sound better.
Old 09-22-08, 04:44 AM
dudeman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys. I forgot about this one until now. And that's because I have been searching & searching for the right 2xDIN head unit with iPod+blutooth+backup cam.+ GPS (TomTom Hong Kong map) and finally found and bought it. It and the flush mounted wide angle rearview camera are enroute to me now.

I had asked before with members who have the factory backup camera in their RX's -- could I get a clear picture of the location of the factory camera. I've looked everywhere on the Net including Lexus web site plus eBay Motors, but so far I can't seem to even see the factory camera in every picture of the back of factory installed RX's with that option ... any help would be appreciated (wouldn't want to drill a hole in the rear door to find it isn't the best spot to mount a backup camera).
Old 09-22-08, 05:33 AM
dudeman
Driver School Candidate

Self-help is best (I guess). Think I see the lil black thing to the left of the under edge of the chrome lift. I wonder if I should mount mine on the right side becuz we are RHD over here .. ?