Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX400 vs RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 02:42 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RX400 vs RX350

I was having my Sirius radio installed at the dealership on my RX400 and got a RX350 as a loaner car. I cannot believe the difference between the two cars. I now know why there are so many pissed off people that own the RX350s. The noise level is at least 3 times that of the RX400 and the ride was extremely jittery similar to the BMW 5 series with run flat tires. The steering was very nervous. Road noise was unacceptable for a Lexus as well as engine noise. Thank god my salesman never let me drive a RX350 before the RX400h or else I would not have bought a RX all together. According to the sales guy the RX 400h has more insulation, more sound material in the glass and recalibrated suspension for the extra weight of the batteries making it quiet and smoother on the road. The RX 350 did handle better and was very agile. I would have never guessed the two were so different. The RX350 also had some rattles in the back end. The loaner was a 2008 RX 350 front wheel drive with no nav and 5k miles on the odometer.

AFter reading some posts on the internet about unhappy RX350 owners I thought they were just being to picky but I can see now why they are mad. I hope the car I had was an exception since I have never driven the RX series prior to owning this RX 400.

I dont know about the Canadian vs Jap built vehicles argument is true but the RX350 was not built like a Jap built vehicle in my opinion. The GX470 and GS 430 I owned drove like melted butter with hardly any noise unlike the RX 350 I drove.

Last edited by Tony; 06-19-08 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 07:14 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I don't have a 400h, I have a 330. The last time I had my service done I got an RX350 loaner. It definitely did not seem to be on the same level as my 330. The 350 has great power and all but, it drowned under acceleration and sounded much louder. Overall not as refined of a car.
Old 06-20-08, 11:36 AM
NeoNz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish they had a stiffer suspension available for the 400h! i hate it!!
Old 06-20-08, 07:43 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NeoNz
i wish they had a stiffer suspension available for the 400h! i hate it!!
time to lower your car with some aftermarket stuff! I've been researching, but I haven't found any available coil overs for the 400h. But, there are springs that can lower it just a tad bit, maybe it might help improve the ride quality.
Old 06-20-08, 09:06 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

I find the suspension soft but comfortable which is what I was looking for in a commute car. My last two cars were the 911 CS and BMW 550 and both sucked royally for daily commutes. Both cornered great but was rough, loud and to involved when you are trying to relax after work. I just want a decompression chamber where I only hear my satelite radio and feel no bumps as I cruise home. The RX 400H fills that roll. I don't mind that its soft on the corners, but it would have been better if they gave it air suspension so you can tune the roll around corners a bit. I can still corner fairly well considering its a SUV. I drove the Acura MDX and thought the suspension in that suv was perfect but the interior looked cheap and gas mileage was the same as my BMW 550 so I opted for the RX400h. Lexus should copy Acura and tune the suspension like them or Acura should copy Lexus and upgrade interior and put a hybrid system that would be a winner.

I am trading in my Porsche for the Mercedes benz bluetec GL 320 cdi this January so my wife will get my RX or maybe by then I will get the RX 2010 model. I really enjoy the 400H though its one of the best cars I have driven for comfort and electronics. Only down side I see is no IPOD adapter and integrated Sirius with shark fin antenna like the germans have.
Old 06-24-08, 11:28 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ive driven the 330. Thought it was pretty nice, but I would still prefer the 400h.
Old 06-24-08, 01:28 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive driven the 330. Thought it was pretty nice, but I would still prefer the 400h.
Me too!!! I was very close to working out a deal on the 400h and 450h at the same time but I figured I'd wait for the next gen. I can't wait!
Old 06-24-08, 07:44 PM
802.11b
Driver School Candidate

I still find that there is a lot of road noise for the rear passengers especially when it is raining which it does most of the year. You can really hear the water as the tires sweeps the water at 50kmph. This is something that really needs to be improved
Old 06-24-08, 09:32 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tony
I find the suspension soft but comfortable which is what I was looking for in a commute car. My last two cars were the 911 CS and BMW 550 and both sucked royally for daily commutes. Both cornered great but was rough, loud and to involved when you are trying to relax after work. I just want a decompression chamber where I only hear my satelite radio and feel no bumps as I cruise home. The RX 400H fills that roll. I don't mind that its soft on the corners, but it would have been better if they gave it air suspension so you can tune the roll around corners a bit. I can still corner fairly well considering its a SUV. I drove the Acura MDX and thought the suspension in that suv was perfect but the interior looked cheap and gas mileage was the same as my BMW 550 so I opted for the RX400h. Lexus should copy Acura and tune the suspension like them or Acura should copy Lexus and upgrade interior and put a hybrid system that would be a winner.

I am trading in my Porsche for the Mercedes benz bluetec GL 320 cdi this January so my wife will get my RX or maybe by then I will get the RX 2010 model. I really enjoy the 400H though its one of the best cars I have driven for comfort and electronics. Only down side I see is no IPOD adapter and integrated Sirius with shark fin antenna like the germans have.
I believe the new RX350s have air suspension, which is good option to have. It's bugs me that the 400h didn't come with it when I bought the car.
Old 06-24-08, 11:30 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXveryG8
I believe the new RX350s have air suspension, which is good option to have. It's bugs me that the 400h didn't come with it when I bought the car.
I was going to get the 08 RX350 with sport package but my dealership could not locate one and said production for the RX350 sport has stopped. I never got a chance to test drive one but I am very happy with the RX400H.
Old 07-06-08, 11:03 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

I was having my Sirius radio installed at the dealership on my RX400 and got a RX350 as a loaner car. I cannot believe the difference between the two cars. I now know why there are so many pissed off people that own the RX350s. The noise level is at least 3 times that of the RX400 and the ride was extremely jittery similar to the BMW 5 series with run flat tires. The steering was very nervous. Road noise was unacceptable for a Lexus as well as engine noise. Thank god my salesman never let me drive a RX350 before the RX400h or else I would not have bought a RX all together. According to the sales guy the RX 400h has more insulation, more sound material in the glass and recalibrated suspension for the extra weight of the batteries making it quiet and smoother on the road. The RX 350 did handle better and was very agile. I would have never guessed the two were so different. The RX350 also had some rattles in the back end. The loaner was a 2008 RX 350 front wheel drive with no nav and 5k miles on the odometer.

AFter reading some posts on the internet about unhappy RX350 owners I thought they were just being to picky but I can see now why they are mad. I hope the car I had was an exception since I have never driven the RX series prior to owning this RX 400.

I dont know about the Canadian vs Jap built vehicles argument is true but the RX350 was not built like a Jap built vehicle in my opinion. The GX470 and GS 430 I owned drove like melted butter with hardly any noise unlike the RX 350 I drove.
Wow, you make it seem like a RX350 is the worst ever. 2 years in, I couldn't be any happier with my RX350. Took it on many road trips, quiet as ever. Steering responsive, nothing "nervous" here. It's not a hybrid, but I'm satisfied getting 27 MPG freeway.
Old 07-19-08, 08:31 AM
TAP4636
Rookie

Yeah no kidding. My mom has a 08 350 and I think it's a great car. It doesn't mean I wouldn't want the 400h for my wife in a couple years though.
Old 07-21-08, 03:24 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
Wow, you make it seem like a RX350 is the worst ever. 2 years in, I couldn't be any happier with my RX350. Took it on many road trips, quiet as ever. Steering responsive, nothing "nervous" here. It's not a hybrid, but I'm satisfied getting 27 MPG freeway.
I think the loaner was an isolated case or I hope so. Maybe they put to much air in the tires and thats what made it feel jittery. My next oil change is coming up so hopefully the next loaner RX350 will feel better. I also think once you get used to the CVT tranny in the RX400H any shifting or high rev build up is noticeable in other cars making them seem rough.
Old 07-24-08, 03:01 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

I drove an RX330 loaner last year and hated it, and when my wife starting talking about an RX400h I was worried it would be as bouncy as that RX330. Turns out the hybrid has a MUCH better suspension.
Old 07-24-08, 04:45 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I think the loaner was an isolated case or I hope so. Maybe they put to much air in the tires and thats what made it feel jittery. My next oil change is coming up so hopefully the next loaner RX350 will feel better. I also think once you get used to the CVT tranny in the RX400H any shifting or high rev build up is noticeable in other cars making them seem rough.
You are 100%+++ right once you get use to the CVT (85,000 miles and four years CVT) the regular transmission will feel rough and the shift points are very noticeable. I found the RX350 to a little lower and the ride is sort of lighter feeling.

Quick Reply: RX400 vs RX350