Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Modifications on RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 04:45 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...i think i should try that exhaust wrap, and wrap my exhaust on the 400. How big of a difference did you find MadloR? And again, thanks for all these helps from people!
Old 11-21-07, 11:33 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Awesome

For raw performance... none.

What I did find is that the higher pitch noises typically found while driving (can be caused by the long pipe, acting like a megaphone, and harmonics) are extremely muted. The vehicle sounds more like a V8 in sound. Also you can locate more the source of the exhaust, by that I mean I can hear that the exhaust is from the rear. The sound typically generated under the vehicle is being dampened (hence less of), hence creating less sound inside the passenger compartment.

Next thing I found, is that the engine doesn't cycle on as often due to the retained heat. The heat seems to be retained more in the cats, and hence the engine needs to be used less, therefore keeping the catalytic converters in there intended operating range (for emission reasons).

I did get a couple of "double stares" from the service rep and the mechanic who last worked on my vehicle (oil change maintenance), but dealers are like that. The Lexus is well insulated to start with, but in keeping with the Lexus tradition of "sweating" the details I wrapped the exhaust based on previous experience with the product. It helps lower noise, and it helps keep the catalytic converters doing there job more efficiently.

For the record, I did not wrap the muffler, nor the catalytic converters, just all the exhaust parts, in individual sections (for service reasons, of course) so that if any part needs changing the wrap will not interfer.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 11-23-07, 04:27 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

I got TTL lowering spring in mine.
Before I swap out the o/e springs, I could feel the sway everytime when I make a regular turn, lane changing, and looping around highway ramps.... now the sway reduced a lot. Maybe it is my first SUV so I am not happy about the sway.

Life is boring without mods.
Old 11-29-07, 03:47 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josephdoc
Before I swap out the o/e springs, I could feel the sway everytime when I make a regular turn, lane changing, and looping around highway ramps.... now the sway reduced a lot. Maybe it is my first SUV so I am not happy about the sway.

Awesome mod, do you have any specs for this mod...

Model of spring?

Ride height factory, ride height with modified springs?

How is general driveability, has the ride changed much? Do you notice it to be the same, almost as smooth, or noticeably firmer, when driven as a daily driver in a linear direction.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 12-01-07, 08:54 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I was thinking of lowering/stiffening the ride a little bit. I'm not sure if it's me, but don't you think the wheel gap is TOOOOOO BIIIIGG??? Geez, I'm thinking of lowering and stiffening and going with 20's next summer for my wife's car. BTW, don't you also have and IS350 you're modding?
Old 12-04-07, 11:41 AM
NeoNz
Driver

Originally Posted by MadloR
Awesome mod, do you have any specs for this mod...

Model of spring?

Ride height factory, ride height with modified springs?

How is general driveability, has the ride changed much? Do you notice it to be the same, almost as smooth, or noticeably firmer, when driven as a daily driver in a linear direction.

Cheers,

MadloR
i second this, I would be interested as the lexus rides too much like my grandmas car, i would rather it be stiffer and handle much better. any idea of the cost?
Old 12-05-07, 06:24 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I like a soft ride, I have back problems and my Jeep Wrangler only lasted less than a year before my back ache made me trade the Wrangler for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The RX400H is a bit softer that my Grand Cherokee was but my back likes the soft ride better. These things are luxury SUVs and the target market is middle age people that want a soft ride. I don't want to visit the dentist to have my caps re-glued every time I go for a ride (exaggeration)

I got rid of the DRL and installed the lock pick. Mods are a great way of making a car your own. It's your car to do what ever pleases you but I think Toyota felt a soft ride would please their target market.

Last edited by silvervett; 12-05-07 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 09:20 PM
dudeman
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone reserched performance chips for the 400H ?

I've only found one off of eBay that is designed to DIY splice into the IAT unit. Suppose to give a HP boost plus better miles per gallon. It's only about a 30 dollar purchase too.

Bit worried that you get what you pay on that price .. very little that is.

Anyone have any opinions ?
Old 12-11-07, 05:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeman
Has anyone reserched performance chips for the 400H ?

I've only found one off of eBay that is designed to DIY splice into the IAT unit. Suppose to give a HP boost plus better miles per gallon. It's only about a 30 dollar purchase too.

Bit worried that you get what you pay on that price .. very little that is.

Anyone have any opinions ?
Welcome to CL.

Don't touch those. Furthermore, if these things really worked as they are supposed to or as they claim, it wouldn't benefit much as you really need the other ends of the equation, exhaust first and then intake along with smaller engine modifications to really have a show.
Old 12-18-07, 03:16 PM
NeoNz
Driver

where can i buy this TTL lowering spring? is it specifically made for the RX400h?
Old 12-19-07, 01:33 AM
dudeman
Driver School Candidate

I believe that's a typo .. it's suppose to beTTE which stands for Team Toyota Europe, the German-based version of TRD.

You can get the springs here:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php

Here's the site for TTE:
http://www.tte.de/

But bear in mind that the ride become stiffer, as the RX is dropped by 30mm. Joseph also mentioned that the rear alignment has to be dealt with via modifications(not sure what all is involved).

I just had a local speed shop look at my 400H, and the owner said he didn't think it would be a problem to lower it. By the way he was talking, it looks like there could be other spring sets that will do the job too. I'll be getting a quote and the specs when he wraps my exhaust in January (have to import the black tape and the spray sealer; only found white locally).
Old 12-21-07, 08:07 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

great, thnx dudeman! looking foward to your discoveries. Also I have to mention is that, has anyone used VAIStech on their 400h with ML? I was thinking about adding this type of interface for my ipod, and was wondering if anyone else has tried it.
Old 12-24-07, 09:31 PM
Briankim79
Driver School Candidate

I would love to see those pics again. I missed the chance.

Also, how much were they, and where did you get them from?

Originally Posted by MadloR
the left side, 50 WATT HID 4300K, the right side Halogen 55WATT bulbs

As you can See, I have eliminated the driving lights from the equation to give you a better idea (no influence from the factory HID Low Beams).
Old 01-05-08, 06:14 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Still haven't heard from people on the VaisTech system, but I looked on their website and thought that should I wait for the new SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi) - iPod Video Interface Adapter or go with other brands. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-08, 11:16 AM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

I was wondering if anybody has seen the RX 400h by 714 Motorsports in partnership with MOMO USA at SEMA show. It was customed. I have a few pics I can post.

Doesn't look too bad!

Quick Reply: Modifications on RX400h