Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Welcome to Club Lexus! RX400h owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 04:34 PM
kveebee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm STILL so in love with my 2008 Silver with Gray leather & woodgrain accent interior. Today it passed 161616 miles and I'm still getting 25-26 mpg. A big road trip is in my future so I'm looking for any tips and tricks other owners have learned. I've invested in a CoverCraft Sunshade for the front windshield. Looking at dash cameras now.
Old 07-31-17, 08:19 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kveebee
I'm STILL so in love with my 2008 Silver with Gray leather & woodgrain accent interior. Today it passed 161616 miles and I'm still getting 25-26 mpg. A big road trip is in my future so I'm looking for any tips and tricks other owners have learned. I've invested in a CoverCraft Sunshade for the front windshield. Looking at dash cameras now.
My car has 166k and still gets 26-28mpg. My recent Yosemite trip averaged 28.5. I came from a Prius and learned a lot of driving tips to maximize mpg from the helpful PriusChat forum (always cruising 60-65mph on freeway, 40-43mph city, a/c on low or off, tire pressure 54-56psi, etc.. I'm hoping the hybrid battery will last forever
For my next road trip I'm getting this dash cam: KDLINKS X1

Last edited by WolfyLS460; 07-31-17 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kveebee (07-31-17)
Old 08-11-17, 05:24 PM
calkinslis
Driver School Candidate

Default New to hybrid and RX

Just purchased 2008 RX400h. 111,000 miles, black ext/black int. Looks like I have lots to learn about my new purchase! First question is where is a good place to buy replacement entire tail light, and head light assembly? I see the hybrid tech forum, but any specific links about this technology would be helpful.
Old 08-12-17, 06:27 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by calkinslis
Just purchased 2008 RX400h. 111,000 miles, black ext/black int. Looks like I have lots to learn about my new purchase! First question is where is a good place to buy replacement entire tail light, and head light assembly? I see the hybrid tech forum, but any specific links about this technology would be helpful.
Welcome aboard, I would look on Fleabay and also any used auto recyclers. The headlamps can be quite expensive.
Old 08-12-17, 07:09 PM
calkinslis
Driver School Candidate

I looked on fleabay but maybe it was not the correct site as I could not find any parts for a Lexus.
Old 08-17-17, 07:38 AM
TACLexus
Driver School Candidate

Hello new to me forum.. Had to use a different user name than normal here.. Grabbed TACLexus.. Normally go by Tornadoalleycruiser on forum.. Mainly IH8MUD forum..
We picked up a new to us 2008 Rx400h a little over a week ago. Beautiful car, was an executive vehicle prior to our ownership so no cheeto's left in the back. Has the blue/black marble accents instead of the wood, pearl white exterior, led accent sills and the HID headlights that look super expensive to fix if they break. Picked it up with 117000 miles on it.

It replaced the girlfriends 2001 Highlander Limited. Since she was used to the Highlander and i wanted her in something similar with better MPG the Rx was the most logical choice. I managed to keep the Highlander safe and reliable for 311000 miles. It was starting to have transmission issue, and slipped in reverse on Friday evening and left on Saturday morning to go to the Toyota heavens.. We traded it in while it still had a touch of residual value left, I did not feel comfortable selling it to an individual and it went to auction instead.

I do all my own maint, up to and including engine swaps if needed, so this new ride has presented all sorts of technology upgrades for me to learn. It came with only one key so first order of business is at least one spare key.. currently in the stable are three other toyotas. A 1964 FJ45 (with a 3fe engine in it) and 1988 Toyota FJ-62 Land Cruiser with a TBI chevy v8 in it and a bone stock 2003 Toyota Matrix with 250000 miles on it.

I want to thank you all for the contributions to this forum.. Thus far I have not done much but promise i will contribute when i can.

Immediate things I am currently working on.. Techstream installation on an older XP machine. While i cannot comment publicly where I obtained the software I can tell you it took me two installations before it worked correctly.
I ordered a replacement key from 1010keys on ebay via a picture, i have not had the opportunity to go to the lexus dealership yet to obtain a key code. I did however confirm that my parts department at Toyota could NOT help me obtain a key code. Since I am way more familiar with the Toyota guys (they help sponsor our off road club and provide us 25% off) I wanted to start there.
The empty fob arrived quickly and fit perfectly in the ignition. I was lax in my initial research on the key fob internals/transponder and did NOT order HYQ12BBT key fob internals on my first try. My mistake, new transponder/keyless entry internals are on their way. I have confirmed that my Techstream will communicate with the vehicle so once the new transponder arrives I should have a spare key in short order and delete the prior master keys and valet that did not come with this vehicle

I did some research here and on the web and have a new Toyota GPS updated disk coming which should be here this week. I understand there will be some changes on utilization while moving and will cross that bridge upon arrival. Took a bit of research to determine which generation DVD was needed since we are SMACK dab in the middle of the United States in Missouri. Ended up ordering Gen 5 Toyota Lexus Scion WEST Navigation Map Update DVD Ver 16.1 U41.

First order of business will be transmission fluid and timing belt.

I cannot verify that the timing belt was ever done so to baseline the maint, I will have a new belt on by 120000 miles.

Currently working on obtaining the FSM (factory service manuals) and researching the procedure to turn on the transmission pump to cycle the fluid in the CVT so I can insure it is at the proper level.

Timing belt, just waiting for my Denso kit to arrive, then I can flush the Aisin red fluid, put in the new belt, water pump, new Denso Thermostat and gasket and probably do cam and crank seals while I am in there.

Then CVT fluid

Brake fluid (have not read up on how to get the ABS computer to cycle yet but hoping techstream will assist with that process)

While I do the brake fluid I will check the slide pins on all the calipers, living in the Midwest I have had multiple Toyotas try to seize the rear guide pins on the calipers. A seasonal review is all that is necessary to insure that I will not have to replace a complete caliper. I do not anticipate this vehicle eating brakes and rotors like the Highlander did, regenerative braking will be a nice feature.

And lastly the inverter coolant. Again, I believe TechStream will allow me to cycle the pump to purge the air out of the inverter coolant system.

Not sure but I would venture a guess that there is some sort of impeller in the electric water pump for the inverter coolant that will eventually need service. My parents sailboat had an impeller that needed service once in a while, There should be a seal between the impeller and the electric motor I would guess will not last forever.

Probably a very long introduction but I will contribute where I can and try to prove that a normal shadetree mechanic can indeed work on this vehicle without the Lexus dealer intervention.

Erik in Kansas City.
Old 08-17-17, 01:12 PM
TommyTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008-RX400h online repair manual

https://www.repairsurge.com/Lexus/RX...-manual-online
Old 08-17-17, 02:43 PM
TommyTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE] I cannot verify that the timing belt was ever done so to baseline the maint, I will have a new belt on by 120000 miles.[QUOTE]

Go to: <https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/> register there name -vin # --then select Service then Service History that will give you all services done at a Lexus dealer.
Old 08-18-17, 07:34 AM
TACLexus
Driver School Candidate

TommyTT, thank you for the links.. I actually started an account with Repair Surge shortly after purchase, it is not as detailed as i am used to compared to the Factory service manual, seems like a very edited version. And I did download all the factory service from Lexus, it doesn't have the timing belt either listed. I did go thru all the maint that had been performed and learned that not only was it a corporate vehicle but it was a local toyota corporate employee.
Cheap insurance in my eyes to just go ahead and jump in there and get a timing belt and water pump done. I like to baseline all my new to me vehicles. I actually had the sales person download the information from Lexus while Jennifer was filling out the title paperwork.
I do appreciate all the knowledge here and hope to be able to contribute some. Currently working on adding the FSM to my Vista beater garage laptop. That poor laptop does nothing other than program my ham radios and log into vehicles.
Thank you again for the help.
Old 02-22-18, 12:56 PM
dlspinks
Driver School Candidate

Recently traded in a 1999 GS300 172000 miles for a 2008 RX400h, 57000 miles, well maintained and almost pristine condition. Color is Golden Almond/Ivory. Options: wood interior trim, Gen5 navigation system, premium plus package, towing prep package, 2-level heated front seats, and rain-sensing wipers and headlamps. So far getting 24.5mpg avg, still getting the hang of hybrid driving. I love this car!
Old 02-23-18, 07:14 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dlspinks
Recently traded in a 1999 GS300 172000 miles for a 2008 RX400h, 57000 miles, well maintained and almost pristine condition. Color is Golden Almond/Ivory. Options: wood interior trim, Gen5 navigation system, premium plus package, towing prep package, 2-level heated front seats, and rain-sensing wipers and headlamps. So far getting 24.5mpg avg, still getting the hang of hybrid driving. I love this car!
Wow what a score with such low mileage. I have 220k miles on ours (2008 RX400h) I too love this beast...
Old 02-23-18, 08:07 AM
dlspinks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Wow what a score with such low mileage. I have 220k miles on ours (2008 RX400h) I too love this beast...
Yes, our goal is to have it last at least as long and well as our well-loved GS300!
Old 09-30-18, 08:29 PM
rlnelson5
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Randy Nelson Hello from Minnesota We just acquired a 2007 Rx 400h $6000 180k miles but in excellent condition with all maint receipts It has a exterior color of Savannah Metallic and a Ivory interior. our first hybrid. Bought it on eBay and on our way back from New York to Minnesota got 26 mpg @80 mph and when coming through Chicago the engine didn't turn on for a 1/2 hr. Went through the maint records and have done a few things
New tires Goodyear Comfortread 4ea
changed oil to Mobil 1 synthetic 0-20 Toyota filter
2 Lower control arms bushings broken out new ball joints
motor mounts all
front drive shafts boots cracked one clamp broke
2 Hub and bearings
Put in a toy -45 box for a ext plug and Bluetooth ability. while keeping the factory nav, cd and 6 cd changer and all steering controls operational
Installed new navigation disc
Also for my wife's birthday we got her a remote start Viper 4806
We basically have all options including towing pkg with factory hitch
except for the rear seat dvd system and the radar cruise option
Old 12-03-18, 06:22 PM
mlucey
Driver School Candidate

I just bought my first Lexus! 2006 RX400h AWD with 96,000 miles, Flint Micah exterior, Ash interior.

She's been a little neglected. New tires, shocks, struts, front brakes are the first order of business.

Next up is timing belt and water pump as it's never been done. My apologies for my naivety, but is there a suggested brand for Timing belt/water pump kits?

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 12-04-18, 06:56 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mlucey
I just bought my first Lexus! 2006 RX400h AWD with 96,000 miles, Flint Micah exterior, Ash interior.

She's been a little neglected. New tires, shocks, struts, front brakes are the first order of business.

Next up is timing belt and water pump as it's never been done. My apologies for my naivety, but is there a suggested brand for Timing belt/water pump kits?

Thanks!

Melissa
Yes look for Aisin timing belt kit with the waterpump and idler bearings. The timing belt will be Mitsobushi. and bearings should be Koyo. water pump Aisin. Congrats. Great score with low mileage.....

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! RX400h owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE