Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

All the new RX400H reviews here!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 04:27 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parula
Sick, thks nice article, 26/28-30 isn't what I was hoping for - I can get 24-26 highway on a conventional 2003 - but it sounds like a great car and mileage will likely improve with future design and engineering efficiencies.
The real point is that it outperforms the V-8 models from VW, Volvo, BMW, Caddy, etc., and gets way better mpg. while doing it. You may get 24-26 with your RX330 but try that with even a V-6 Toureg or Porsche.
Old 04-02-05, 10:45 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just checked it out at the local car show today. Over all nice, but I wasn't impressed. earlier I thought I wanted one, but I think I'd stick to my regular RX330. I thought the performance was going to be getter than the V8 X5, but 7.2 is only a little over half second faster than a regular RX330 so performance wise it doesn't seem like much difference for the price. Even that gas savings is not earth shattering. I also would have a hard time living without the tach. Oh well, I guess I'm not as ready for a hybrid as I thought I was. I like the car and the hybrid idea, but not for the premium price.
Old 04-03-05, 06:41 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I just checked it out at the local car show today. Over all nice, but I wasn't impressed. earlier I thought I wanted one, but I think I'd stick to my regular RX330. I thought the performance was going to be getter than the V8 X5, but 7.2 is only a little over half second faster than a regular RX330 so performance wise it doesn't seem like much difference for the price. Even that gas savings is not earth shattering. I also would have a hard time living without the tach. Oh well, I guess I'm not as ready for a hybrid as I thought I was. I like the car and the hybrid idea, but not for the premium price.
The 0-60 numbers are not the only comparison. The RX400H will deliver instant power at nearly any speed. So 30-60, 50-70 acceleration is much faster than even many sport cars. Also, the power delivery is smoother than anything because there are no apparent shifts. There was a graph I saw of the power delivery compared against a normal gas engine and it is basically a smooth, not staggered power delivery.

The 4.4 liter X5 goes 0-60 in close to 7 secs (6.8) but it gets 16 around the city. The RX400 does nearly the same in acceleration but gets 30. That's a whopping double the mileage.

Regarding the tach, they say to drive the RX400H is the only way to feel the difference in how the power delivery is. I suspect the gas engine will only be delivering static narrow RPM ranges therefore the RPM meter becomes useless. The vehicle has a variable transmission so no need to worry about redlining. I look to the tach for two reasons, redlining and total power delivery, so the power meter makes perfect sense.
Old 04-03-05, 10:21 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's Electric...

Hybrids are different. They are quiet. They are fast. They are smooth. They don't pollute. They have unheard of SUV City gas mileage. They are almost sold out for the year anyway. It is the future and it will continue to sell out once everyone test drives it. At least this year gets the tax break of $2,000. Next year it drops to $500. It has VDIM too.
Old 04-04-05, 02:23 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rockville
Hybrids are different. They are quiet. They are fast. They are smooth. They don't pollute. They have unheard of SUV City gas mileage. They are almost sold out for the year anyway. It is the future and it will continue to sell out once everyone test drives it. At least this year gets the tax break of $2,000. Next year it drops to $500. It has VDIM too.
It definately is the future and I'm looking forward to it, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to. Right now, the only reason why I was remotely interested in the RX400H was for the added performance. The extra fuel mileage would be a bonus but nothing that would sell me just yet. I'll jump on the bandwagon when hybrids become the norm and don't ask for a premium price.
Old 04-04-05, 03:55 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rockville, I agree they don't pollute, as much, and will be the future.
Is that tax benefit a credit or deduction - I'm not sure and it makes a big difference.
Old 04-04-05, 06:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It definately is the future and I'm looking forward to it, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to. Right now, the only reason why I was remotely interested in the RX400H was for the added performance. The extra fuel mileage would be a bonus but nothing that would sell me just yet. I'll jump on the bandwagon when hybrids become the norm and don't ask for a premium price.
hm, wait - you want performance - you got it - by far the fastest SUV 50-70mph (1 sec faster than 320hp SRX).
You want mpg? You get 15 mpg over V8 competitors.
You want price? It is cheaper than most V8 competitors - and with more equipment!

I doubt performance hybrids will get cheaper, there is really no reason for it - they are cheap already.
Old 04-05-05, 06:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
hm, wait - you want performance - you got it - by far the fastest SUV 50-70mph (1 sec faster than 320hp SRX).
You want mpg? You get 15 mpg over V8 competitors.
You want price? It is cheaper than most V8 competitors - and with more equipment!

I doubt performance hybrids will get cheaper, there is really no reason for it - they are cheap already.
I agree

So here I type what JIM PRESS, Executive VP, Toyota Motor Sales says in March Automobile
Question
Is the 06 GS 430 leading Lexus in the new direction?

Answer
Phase one of LExus was to redefine the luxury car segment. We have maximized customer satisfaction and reninvented the whole dealership experience. We offered an unparalleled level of quality and comfort for a very resonable price. Now we can take Lexus to the next level. Basically, our philosophy is to "zero-nize" and "Maxim-mize" performance. We'll zero-nize all the negatives of the automobile-accidents, emissions, high fuel consumption. We'll "maxi-mize" performance, the thrill of driving and our traditional comfort and value

Basically a hybrid Lexus is as close to the perfect vehicle you can find, looking at every possible aspect.
Old 04-05-05, 07:16 PM
frenchorne
Driver School Candidate

Wink IRS deduction ...

Originally Posted by parula
Rockville, I agree they don't pollute, as much, and will be the future.
Is that tax benefit a credit or deduction - I'm not sure and it makes a big difference.
It is a deduction, so depending on your marginal tax rate, it would be worth about $500 to $800. Not a lot, but "better than a sharp stick in the eye." Here is the IRS explanation,

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...107766,00.html
Old 04-06-05, 02:19 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I disagree that hybrids will not get cheaper. Everything will get cheaper as more competition enters the market. I find it hard to believe that in 5 years we will still be paying MSRP or more for a hybrid. I'm not just talking about SUV hybrids. For me, I'm looking at hybrids as a performance upgrade just like the GS350H might be when it comes out. In the begining, the RX400H was the only real performance oriented hybrid coming out so I was looking at it. However, now that it is out, it is not enough performance so since I'm not really into SUVs cars like the GS350H appeal to me more, but once again, the premium price is still rather high when the GS460 could still offer at least the same or more performance. Now you also have Acura saying they want to bring out performance geared hybrids in the future as well. There will be a time when hyrbid competition steps up and prices will fall. When that time comes I'll be ready to enter the market. As high as my gas prices are right not ($2.63-$270) I'm still not looking to buy a hybrid solely for gas mileage. That is just me. I'll be ready in a few years though. Like I said, I'm all for hybrids. There is nothing more I'd like to see than an exotic type performance hybrid. That is why I was a bit disappointed when Acura axed the Dualnote performance hybrid. I definately think it is the future unless better technology entiers the market. Fuel Cells might also be a contendor. But, the furutre for me hasn't materialized yet. Hybrids today are still not what I'm looking for. It is close, but not quite there yet. I'm just greedy. I want more To be honest, I think what killed it for me on the RX400H was the detuned 3.3 engine with 208 HP. My commute I spend most of my time on the freeway at 70MPH so I already feel my RX330 doesn't have much juice on the high end so a detuned motor at that speed doesn't seem like all that great even if the electric motors do kick in at that high speed which I'm not sure it will like it does in the GS350H. I could be wrong though.
Old 04-06-05, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

eh, you should wait for the test drive, batteries are constantly recharged and power is always at your disposal - it is not "just 208hp", never.

BTW - why should performance hybrids become lower cost? Does new GS430 cost less than old one? What happens now is that manufacturers make less money on hybrid models than on regular models, however when the technology become cheaper, you will get an better version of it and you will pay more for it :-).

You might not pay msrp for it eventually, but thats always true for volume models. For example, RX400h is supposed to be only 25% of production so it will never get amounts of discount that RX330 used to get.

Problem is when people compare 400h to RX330, then it really makes no sense as it will never come much closer to RX330 in MSRP pricing, just consider how RX470 would be priced even higher than RX400h, with less performance, more consumption, etc, etc.
Old 04-06-05, 05:43 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
eh, you should wait for the test drive, batteries are constantly recharged and power is always at your disposal - it is not "just 208hp", never.

BTW - why should performance hybrids become lower cost? Does new GS430 cost less than old one? What happens now is that manufacturers make less money on hybrid models than on regular models, however when the technology become cheaper, you will get an better version of it and you will pay more for it :-).

You might not pay msrp for it eventually, but thats always true for volume models. For example, RX400h is supposed to be only 25% of production so it will never get amounts of discount that RX330 used to get.

Problem is when people compare 400h to RX330, then it really makes no sense as it will never come much closer to RX330 in MSRP pricing, just consider how RX470 would be priced even higher than RX400h, with less performance, more consumption, etc, etc.

According to the info posted by Elizabeth at Long Lexus the electric motors cut out at 35 MPH. That means it only works at the lower speed and once over 35MPH you are all gas engine.

Hey Everybody,

Here's the latest info. I'm going to a RX400H 8 hour training class right before the car comes out (or as I like to call it "Hybrid for Dummies").

Gas Engine: 208 hp @5,600 rpm, torque 212 lbs @4,400 rpm
Electric Motor:
Type: Permanent magnet AC synchronous
Front Electric Motor, the power output is 123 kw @4,500 rpm
Rear electric Motor, the power output is 50 kw @4,610-5,120 rpm
Transmission: Electronically-controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT)
Battery Type: Sealed Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH)
Hybrid System Power: 268 hp (200kw)
0-60 in 7.3 sec (est.), top track speed is 112 mph, drag is 0.35, gas mileage 30 city and 26 highway (est.)

Lexus limited Warranty 4 years/50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Powertrain gas engine warranty 6 years/70,000 miles....
Hybrid-Related Component warranty 8 years/100,000 miles.....(includes battery)

The electric engine works up to 35mph, then the gas engine kicks in. Obviously if you do more city driving or commuting (stop and go), then your gas mileage will be better than someone who travels on wide open freeway at 60 mph. The battery recharges itself while you are braking so there is never a need to "plug in" this car. However, if you run out of gas, the car will not run on it's own.

Lexus is focusing on 3 primary benefits of owning a hybrid:
1. Performance
2. Fuel Economy
3. Emissions

Unless that is a misprint? I know the GS450H will work differently and work at the higher speeds as well though. When I mean chaeper cost for the hybrids I don't mean MSRP. What I do mean is right now we can only pay MSRP and in some cases even a premium over MSRP. Dealers are not cutting any deals on them especially since like Rockville said they are practically sold out for th year already. I figure later when more companies offer hybrids and there are more choices everyone will have to be willing to negotiate. I"m not saying we will get it at invoice, but surely we will be able to get a few thousand off MSRP with more competition. I'm only speculating, but say if Acura does follow through and offer hybrids in their line up, I can always jump to a hybrid MDX if Lexus doesn't want to deal, or the other way around. Hopefully Infiniti will jump into the mix as well. Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of hybrids. I just don't like that a good technology that supposed to be good for the environment is mostly for the rich. By rich I mean those who can afford $50K + for a Luxury SUV, or $60K for a GS450H. Quite frankly, there is no way I'm driving a Prius. I want to see more companies come out with good hybrids (The Accord hybrid is a good start) that look like normal cars and that more people can afford. That is why I hope to see more competition.
Old 04-07-05, 11:42 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i remember how yall said that the navigational system in the RX would be optional and the screen would come standard to show power output, well i got a lexus communications e-mail stating that the navigational system would be standard equiptment

Superior technology creates superior value.

By now, you know that the Lexus RX 400h may be one of the most
technologically advanced vehicles in the market. Which is hardly
surprising, given that the next-generation gas/electric hybrid system
offers a combined output of 268 horsepower and an EPA-estimated
combined fuel-economy rating of 29 mpg [1].

However, what might have escaped your attention is what a superb
value the RX 400h represents.

In addition to the landmark hybrid performance, the RX 400h also
comes standard with all-wheel drive, our new generation of vehicle
stability control system known as VDIM [2] and an Electronically
controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT) that improves
fuel economy and acceleration.

The RX 400h includes a wide array of premium standard features, which
are typically either offered as popular options or not available on
the RX 330 and valued at more than $6,000. For example, every RX 400h
comes standard with a navigation system with backup camera,
six-disc
CD changer and High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with Adaptive
Front Lighting System (AFS). It also comes standard with our Premium
Package, which consists of extensive leather trim, a power-tilt
steering wheel with memory, roof rack with rails, illuminated entry
system and one-touch open/close moonroof.

Also unique to the 400h are the electrically powered climate control,
electric power steering and Electronic Controlled Braking (ECB)
system. With most cars, the climate control and power steering are