Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

2006 GS hybrid confirmed by Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 12:57 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
If you look at newly announced GS pricing, you will see that even adding 5k to base GS for HSD (which is a bit too much), it will be still cheaper than V8 option... cheaper, faster, and not only that - compared to V8 weight, it will be only slightly porkier!
That's what I mentioned earlier - what would happen to V8 sales under that scenario?
Old 01-27-05, 01:02 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I'll take one twin-turbocharged diesel hybrid to go, please.
European BMW 535 - even without the hybrid part, the twin turbo diesel I6 gets 30MPG+ with 272HP and 0-60 of 6s.
Old 01-27-05, 01:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

So much for threadjacking. The I'm sure you can't resist so you have to put your last $0.02 in. Last time I checked this was a discussion about the GS450h Hybrid vehicle. And from what I recall, you weren't even in the market for a hybrid vehicle for that matter so why even waste your breathe on the topic? This never should have been a debate on why you think diesel engines are better. But then again you would rather have a smaller gasoline powered vehicle instead of the two. Doesn't make sense. Start a new topic on diesels vs hybrid vs Geo Metro over in car chat if you want that.

To help move the discussion back in line...the GS450h info that we all know of is very preliminary. For all we know it can be a semi AWD type of system like the RX400h, where both front and rear wheels are powered by electric motors and the gas power is primarily slated for the front drive wheels. Perhaps we shall see this applied for the GS450h with the gas engine powering the rear wheels at the aide of electric motors for the front and rear axles. The technology is very new and something Toyota continues to improve on. The latest Hybrid Synergy Drive System ifor the 2nd gen Prius, including the upcoming RX400h and Highlander Hybrid are leaps and bounds better than the first production setup they had for the 1st Gen 1NZ-FXE Prius Hybrid.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-27-05 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-27-05, 01:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by biker
That's what I mentioned earlier - what would happen to V8 sales under that scenario?
Perhaps it will affect V8 sales, and chances are it wont. The general buying public will buy vehicles to suit their needs. Lexus disributes the proper models and allocate the most popular models to certain target market locations. There is a buyer for every Lexus vehicle. Even though a v8 wouldn't be appealing to some customers with the Hybrid model available doesn't mean it will necessarily hurt its sales. We already know Lexus will sell more GS3's than the others, but there is a market out there that will either pick the Hybrid over the V8 or vice versa.

Lexus is smart in offering different broader choices for the consumer of the new GS. It's just like how Toyota approached the SUV market. There are 4 different sized SUV's to suit the needs of many. And quite frankly despite the small margin of price differences between each model, each vehicle sells well in it's respective categories.
Old 01-28-05, 06:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default GS450h Preview in Upcoming NY Autoshow

Toyota’s luxury arm, Lexus, plans to roll out a second hybrid-electric vehicle with a media preview scheduled during the upcoming New York Auto Show. The GS450h will be the first luxury sedan with a hybrid powertrain, and the first HEV in any form on a rear-wheel-drive platform. Its Big Apple unveiling is scheduled to occur about the same time the first Lexus hybrid, the RX400h crossover, hits showrooms. Company officials are being tightlipped about specific details, but Lexus will start with the new GS430, and mate a version of its Synergy Drive system to the sedan’s already beefy V-8. Where early hybrids, such as Toyota’s breakthrough Prius, focused on delivering maximum mileage, Lexus is taking a different tack. The RX400h will trade off a bit of fuel economy to increase acceleration. And in the GS450h sedan, the emphasis will be on “pure performance,” hinted Lexus General Manager Denny Clements, noting that electric motors deliver maximum torque during initial acceleration. Expect to see the hybrid roll onto the market about a year after the launch of the new, gasoline-powered GS models. —Paul A. Eisenstein

source : thecarconnection
Old 01-28-05, 08:28 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by SexySC
Company officials are being tightlipped about specific details, but Lexus will start with the new GS430, and mate a version of its Synergy Drive system to the sedan’s already beefy V-8.
Okay so if we already have a sub 6.0sec 0-60 car, the HSE will drop that down possibly to 5.0 sec or less. That's definitely a step in the right direction...possibly for the GT line.
Old 01-29-05, 08:34 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Okay so if we already have a sub 6.0sec 0-60 car, the HSE will drop that down possibly to 5.0 sec or less. That's definitely a step in the right direction...possibly for the GT line.
That's what I'm thinking .... the GS450H will be the "GT" GS, even if it is symbolically. If Toyota is planning on something even more powerful for the "GT" GS, all I have to say is .
Old 02-12-05, 09:57 PM
ben(miami)
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That's what I'm thinking .... the GS450H will be the "GT" GS, even if it is symbolically. If Toyota is planning on something even more powerful for the "GT" GS, all I have to say is .
Agreed. No one yet as mentioned the possibility that the GS450h may be positioned above the GS460 instead of "inbetween". Seems to me that Lexus is marketing the HSD system in a performance/power without sacrificing MPG sort of way. If that were the case, they might charge above the V8 powered GS460 and still not worry about cannibalizing V8 sales.... My 2 cents.
Old 02-13-05, 04:56 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Hybrid GS

I would buy a hybrid if it would get 0-60 down into the 4.5 sec to 4.8 sec range. $4000 more is okay to, I would spend that much modding the thing anyway.

I could care less about improving the gas milage. If I cared about that I wouldn't floor the accelerator every chance I get.

I think you should kick Biker off of Club Lexus as he can't seem to participate in an adult manner! I'm really sick of his immature hijacking of this thread. BAN HIM I SAY!

3dog
Old 02-13-05, 05:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
European BMW 535 - even without the hybrid part, the twin turbo diesel I6 gets 30MPG+ with 272HP and 0-60 of 6s.
exactly... and based on your thoughts, BMW should not offer any other engine :-).
People complain how Lexus doesnt have enough options, then same people complain how 3 engines will be too much... Please - BMW offers 6 different engines on 5 series...

p.s. you wont get 30 MPG unless you get manual and drive it in 6 gear without pressing gas pedal more than 10% :-). While beauty of turbocharged engine is instant rush, as soon as you press that pedal, your fuel consumption will sky rocket. Even more so in twin turbo diesel engine. If you like pressing the pedal, you can easily get around 20mpg...