front seat cooling

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 08:24 AM
lonreck
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front seat cooling

Dears,

any body try the cooling vent option for the front seats ......

i've tried this today and unfortunately, the cushion getting normal room temp and the back getting warmer ........

dont know if its wiring problem or device defect?

anyone faced this issue, and how to solve ?

main question is, the front seats got this cooling option or its just a base ventilation !

Note: im from jordan so excuse my English if its not that good.
Old 03-21-18, 11:26 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The standard option level HS has only heated seats and the uplevel Navigation level cars
have both heated and ventilated seats. Look at the rolling switch and if it has both red
and blue colored scales then they are both, only red...only heat.

While heated seats actually create heat the ventilated function is just passing the hopefully
cool floor level air up through the seat to your...bottom.
Old 03-21-18, 03:53 PM
lonreck
Driver School Candidate

My car is uplevel with navigation sys.

it used to cool the seat but suddenly becomes normal air passing through the seat.

I notice this only if the car parked long time under the sun!

but today somthing very weird happen, the back getting warmer and the cuchin is abit normal.

dont know what is the issue but i givebit more attention and i will look for a solution eithere here through this group or with any technical garage.

i schedule an appointment with lexus for the recalls and will try to tell them about this also so they might know.
Old 03-21-18, 04:58 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Your English is much better than my Arabic!

Unlikely but possible that your heating grid wires are coming on when you
are trying for the ventilating fans? The roller switches are in a bit of a
vulnerable position, might a liquid have spilled onto them or perhaps
a heavy object pressed down and broke something.

While the Lexus LS460 has real cooling seats, other Lexi have the same
type of ventilated seats you and I have. When you turn your A/C to Automatic
and turn the temperature down low, the air is directed to the middle dash vents.
Try tapping the A/C "Mode" button (had high/middle/low/defrost arrows) to change
the flow to both middle and floor vents. Now the vented seats will have some cool
air to pick up.
Old 03-22-18, 01:08 AM
lonreck
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much

will check all your notes and will update the group.
Old 03-23-18, 08:58 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

A few folks in various Lexus models have had the seat switches fail, including someone with an HS250h. It is easy to find a replacement on ebay and cost is not high. If you find the prior thread, removing and replacing it is not that big of a challenge.

I suspect the switch if your seat is heating up when only the fan is on. But you said the back was heating up and there are no heating wires or cooling vents in the seat back. It may be your winter coat making you hot in the car.

I suspect everything may be normal as only the seat bottom is heated & cooled. There is nothing in the back. If your car heat is on (temp set above outside temp), as it is winter, even running the seat fan will bring that heated air to your seat and make it feel warm. Also you are likely wearing a coat, which will make you feel warmer.
Old 03-25-18, 08:01 AM
lonreck
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your valuable points and thoughts.

its could be all normal as what you said but, why my seats has 2 fans ? one for the back and one for the cuchin?

if the nothing for the back then why there is a fan or a device on the back!
if the back fans drive the air flow into the seat and cuchin, then why another fan fixed for the cuchin ? ?.

i will try to figure this.

can i buy the a real cooling device and fixed it into the seat and connect the switched the i already got ! would it be worked!
Old 03-26-18, 01:24 PM
Clutchless

It looks like there is a fan in the back, however it must be really weak as I have never felt much air from the back. Maybe because the rear of the seat is sealed there is little flow as it must come up the back from the bottom.

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...driveLine=8096

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-26-18 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 01:33 PM
Clutchless

Some people on other Lexus model forums have placed a bent piece of cardboard or metal on the floor behind the front seat to stop air flow from going out under the seat onto the rear floor. This apparently makes more air flow up through the seat cushions. It is easy to cut and bend a piece of cardboard to experiment. Then you could get a piece of thin sheet metal, cut and bend it to fit, spray paint it black or to match the carpet. I think most had it bent so a piece was under the rear floor mat to hold it in place.
Old 03-26-18, 08:13 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like there is 2 fans. Part numbers 85860B and 85867A.
The following users liked this post:
lonreck (03-27-18)
Old 03-27-18, 12:24 AM
lonreck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Some people on other Lexus model forums have placed a bent piece of cardboard or metal on the floor behind the front seat to stop air flow from going out under the seat onto the rear floor. This apparently makes more air flow up through the seat cushions. It is easy to cut and bend a piece of cardboard to experiment. Then you could get a piece of thin sheet metal, cut and bend it to fit, spray paint it black or to match the carpet. I think most had it bent so a piece was under the rear floor mat to hold it in place.
thank you,

i will try something else, i will check mine if there is something wrong with the fans or circulation air vent.
or
will try to replace the whole system heat/cool with another device belong to different car ( LS, MKZ, ) these cars i know got real cooling system for the front seats.
will try this.