HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Safety Recall HLE (H2E) 2010 HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 05:44 AM
Todd6571
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine was done Thursday-yesterday at one of the Minneapolis dealers, Lexus of Wayzata. They did a great job, filled it with gas, and all was well on my 240 mile drive home.
Old 02-15-18, 07:55 AM
ale896
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment needed?

I took my HS 250h in for the recall yesterday. They called today, saying they test drove the car, and something didn't feel right, so they put it back on the rack, and one of my tie rods was loose, and they wanted to know if I wanted to get an alignment done. Does this sound right to you guys? Would they had to have messed with any of that to do this recall? I just bought the car, used, last fall, and it has been running fine up til now, and I wasn't even aware that an alignment was needed before now. Just want to make sure they aren't pulling a "take advantage of the lil lady" stunt by milking extra money out of me for a service that I don't need.
Old 02-15-18, 07:19 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Could be. How many miles on it? Since you got it used, you have no idea how it might have been abused / driven over potholes / etc. Loose tie rod ends aren't that uncommon in 7-8 year old cars. But for reference, the tie rod ends on my 2010 are fine after 115k miles. In fact, I was just thinking this is my first car where I've gone this far with no suspension / brake / CV joint / bushing issues - everything is as solid as it was new.

bottom line, you don't need to accept the service. Take it back and see how it drives to you. Also keep an eye on tire wear and how it steers.
Old 02-16-18, 11:39 AM
Todd6571
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did they replace the tie rod end?
If you do have a tie rod problem, it should be addressed. And then you would need an alignment. You could get a second opinion if you're not sure they're being truthful.
Old 02-18-18, 08:43 PM
dedas1
Rookie

Good to hear about others replacing theirs. I have a call out to my dealer. After reading the thread, it sounds like I will need to give them some lead time to order the parts. It is a major repair and I share Magellan55 concern about them screwing up the car. It has run near flawless on repairs and only time it goes to the dealer is for mostly recalls and routine maintenance.
Old 02-20-18, 08:23 AM
dapper23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Completed

I brought my car to the dealership and it took them 3 days to complete. I had a nx300 as a loaner and it's a nice car. Bad part is that I noticed I now have a ding and scratch on my car that i never had before. I brought it up to the dealership and they said they're reviewing the video of the time they had the car. It's already been four days since I've contacted them and no response as of yet. How do you thinking I should move forward with this?
Old 02-28-18, 06:48 PM
Magellan55

One thing I've noticed since the transaxle replacement is my mpg has gone from ~36 to ~38. Could be weather related too, though I've gone through 3 tanks now and we've had some cold spells. Of course, maybe it's just that I never replaced the tranny fluid and the new one came filled with fresh fluid :-) Anyway, if this holds, it's a nice side benefit saving me ~$50 a year in gas. Otherwise, I still haven't noticed any real change to how it drives / behaves.
Old 03-03-18, 03:56 AM
spiceyux
Driver School Candidate

Question Likely new HS 250h owner question

Hi all, thanks so much for this thread! After having my '12 Prius recently totaled, I discovered the 250h and love it as an incremental step up on luxury (if not mileage). Unfortunately this is all moving a little faster than I care for given the sparsity of 250h's out there and the clock ticking on the insurance rental.
I'm evaluating two of them, both 2010. A CarMax with 53k, memory seats and navigation for $15k (which is my preferred), vs a Toyota Dealership CPO with 70k, without the upgrades, for $11.5k (which is acceptable).
Vehicles:
Here's the trick, the CarMax one has the open transaxle recall. Don't worry, not asking you to help me choose, I wouldn't ask that of anyone as it's not something I'd answer either. (Of course, opinions welcome).

What I'm trying to decide is my take on this:
  1. Recall? What a pain in the butt and who knows how they'll jack it up at the dealer?
  2. Recall? Cool, free new transaxle! Should extend the life quite nicely.
Am I talking myself into something? A 50/50 gamble? Crazy talk?

Added wrinkle, (without a much longer story) is that I'm heading out later today to do this. Planning on calling my local Lexus dealership service dept this morning to see if they've:
  1. Handled any of these thus far
  2. The timeline estimate for parts and then the timeline for repair
  3. Confirm that I get a loaner? (saw some other shenanigans and am also new to Lexus, so uncertain here)
Of course, all short notice but appreciate any thoughts on rationale or timeline experience perspective.
One way or another, I look forward to trolling this forum more and thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Sam
Old 03-03-18, 06:59 AM
Magellan55

Night and day difference between my Lexus and Toyota dealers where I am. Terrible experience taking our Highlander to the dealer for it's first service, and now take it to a local shop even though we're still in the "free oil change" period. Lexus has been 180, and the most pleasant dealer I've ever worked with over 40 years of car ownership. No hassles for 8 years, no "jacking it up", free loaner for any service 2 hours or more, nice private office with PC and phone to work in when I don't do a loaner, car gets detailed even for minor things like a state inspection, and they even do free car washes whenever I want.

I can't promise your dealer will be as good as mine, but Lexus has prided itself on service, so I'm guessing you will more likely than not have a much better experience with your Lexus dealer than what you're used to with other brands. But yeah it's worth a call to the dealer to check them out.

As for which car, totally up to you whether you want to pay more for the extra upgrades, or decide based on color. Mine is red/tan Premium just like the Carmax one, but without Nav, and love it. Going with Nav gives you the cool space-ship like flipping screen. Premium adds 18" wheels, cooled seats, rain sensing wipers, softer leather, memory power seats, and a few other things I can't recall. I personally would not factor in this recall in your decision. In fact, I don't recall anyone having an issue with their transaxle, so this didn't feel like a "have to do it today" type of repair. If they need a few weeks to get the parts in, I wouldn't sweat it.

I think you'll love either one, and will definitely feel the upgrade in luxury and power compared to your Prius. And yeah the mpg will be lower, but at these levels, actual gas cost increase won't be that much. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
spiceyux (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 06:03 AM
spiceyux
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Magellan55!
I did see this yesterday morning as we were heading out. I'd also gone ahead with calling the dealership and once I gave them the VIN of the CarMax car, she confirmed it needed the transaxle and to just, "come on in when you get it!" Definitely got the vibe you were describing and so am far more confident that this will result in refreshed powertrain and a nice car that will pass to my (now) 12 year old daughter in years to come.
The nav system is nice though I was most interested in the power memory seats (I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'2"!); remote start (we live in the midwest so nice for winter); and cooling seats (just because).
Thanks again for the insight. I'll be sure to report back once the transaxle is complete on the ultimate outcome and process of it in case it helps anyone else.
Cheers!
Old 03-04-18, 06:44 PM
Magellan55

Well good luck on the purchase whichever way you go. Yeah I'm starting to shop for my next car (EV or at least plug-in so unfortunately not a Lexus), but am keeping the HS for my own 13 yo daughter for HS and college. Though mine has almost 120k on the odometer already!
Old 03-05-18, 01:14 AM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Got a call from my Lexus Dealer last week. They told me that they had the transaxle/parts in stock and were ready for me to come in. I brought the HS250h in on Tuesday a 10:00 am. Since there was a threat of snow and the PNW isn't known to be full of snow experienced drivers, the dealer told me that I could keep the loaner for a an extra day or two in case the weather became poor. Meanwhile, the snow began to fall while the cancellations started calling into the dealership. After I got home, I did my errands and such. At 16:00, the dealership called me. The transaxle replacement was complete and they were ready to deliver the HS250h. I drove back and took it home. The repair order records that the inverter coolant was changed during the transaxle replacement. When I asked them what would be the walk up price would have been if I had to pay the total, they said it was about $7200 USD. So far, I haven't noticed any changes in the vehicle's fuel mileage nor performance since the transaxle change.

Strangely, the dealer repeatedly pointed out, that at 65,000 miles, my 2010 vehicle was a very low mileage model. If I ever wanted to trade up or out of it, they would give me top dollar because the HS250h is a very sought after model right now. They even said that they would take they HS250h in a straight buy in if I were to purchasae a BMW or Mercedes from a competing lot. I politely refused and enjoyed the newly fueled vehicle.
spiceyux (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 05:02 PM
spiceyux
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 850R
If I ever wanted to trade up or out of it, they would give me top dollar because the HS250h is a very sought after model right now.
Thanks 850R, it really does strike me as odd the short life this model had. I’m going to go visit my Lexus dealership on Wednesday to start the process. We’ll see how it goes!
Old 03-16-18, 03:37 PM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transaxle Replacement Question

Hi folks,

Have an appointment in mid-May to complete this recall. I'm sorta old school about cars and unfamiliar with this drive system on the HS so wanted to ask about the CVT fluid. Will the CVT need to be drained and filled during this transaxle replacement? Gonna schedule a drain and fill if not.
Old 03-16-18, 07:14 PM
Magellan55

My understanding is the transaxle is a complete unit (CVT+electric motors+diff), so replacing it will automatically get the fluid replaced.
noku (03-16-18)

Quick Reply: Safety Recall HLE (H2E) 2010 HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Replacement