HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Safety Recall HLE (H2E) 2010 HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 08:45 AM
new_berlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Heads up: It would appear that parts are in stock at dealers coz I got a call to setup an appointment. Loaners are 20bucks a day at my dealer, almost like renting except it comes with gas apparently...all said they are pretty efficient.
Old 12-22-17, 01:59 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

They charge you for a loaner? I've never heard that at a Lexus dealer before. I always get my loaner free, even for routine maintenance (for services over 2 hours I think, but that might be new). Given this is a recall, I would demand Lexus provide you a loaner, and escalate to the regional manager if needed.
Old 12-26-17, 11:17 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I got my letter nearly three weeks ago. I immediately called my local dealer. They said they needed to order parts and would put me on the waiting list. Called them today, they have yet to receive any transaxles/parts from Lexus, thus they haven't repaired a single vehicle. Has anybody gotten their car repaired yet? If so, how long do they keep your car in order to make repairs?
Old 12-28-17, 11:33 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer called earlier this week to say that the parts have come in. I am leaving the HS at the dealer mid-day on Jan 10 and she said it should be ready to pick up sometime the next day. I will have an overnight loaner.
Old 01-03-18, 07:03 PM
new_berlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer apparently had a bunch of HSes in for this recall, so it took a few days to have the work done. Pleased that they topped off my gas tank, so it covers the fee they charged for the loaner (correction to my prev post: It turned out to be 20 bucks total for the loaner, not per day thankfully)
Old 01-05-18, 11:58 AM
hs250ket
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HS250h Recall letter from Lexus.
I contacted Lexus dealership in Doylestown, PA. My HS250h is at the dealer from Jan 2nd. As per the technician, it should take about 8-10 hours but due to weather conditions, it may take few days. I'll update the post here when I get my car back. Lexus Dealership gave me a loaner car, and I asked them if there is any charge for loaner, and they said no. Since I can't find any post here about this recall, I'll post my experience here. This is my first hybrid and 1st Lexus (bought used 2010 HS250h, last year), new on this forum. Hope to find useful info from this forum.
Old 01-05-18, 04:47 PM
Magellan55

Originally Posted by hs250ket
HS250h Recall letter from Lexus.
I contacted Lexus dealership in Doylestown, PA. My HS250h is at the dealer from Jan 2nd. As per the technician, it should take about 8-10 hours but due to weather conditions, it may take few days. I'll update the post here when I get my car back. Lexus Dealership gave me a loaner car, and I asked them if there is any charge for loaner, and they said no. Since I can't find any post here about this recall, I'll post my experience here. This is my first hybrid and 1st Lexus (bought used 2010 HS250h, last year), new on this forum. Hope to find useful info from this forum.
Welcome, and yes this is a good thread to discuss this recall. I've had my 2010 since new, and this is about the 4th one for me (still awaiting my dealer to get the parts). Most have been painless, and I got a free loaner and they filled my gas tank each time for my troubles too, but apparently that might be dealer-specific. There was one recall about rear suspension bolts that took several recalls to get right; hopefully that won't be repeated here. FWIW I've had more recalls than actual mechanical problems with my HS over 115k miles, and I didn't experience any of the problems the recalls were designed to fix, so I guess Lexus is just being extra precautious. This is my first Lexus, and I'm definitely favorable to getting another one, though I'm hoping to get an electric or plug-in hybrid next, and Lexus doesn't make one yet.
Old 01-08-18, 11:52 AM
atnj
Driver School Candidate

New to the CL and a one week old owner of a used 201 HS 250h. Trying to get as much info as I could.
I got this car from a Jeep dealer (original owner traded there). Now, where should I contact for this recall? Could it be the Dealer near me? Someone is similar situation?
TIA
Old 01-09-18, 01:36 PM
jfiduccia
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I've read - you can call any dealer.
I'd start off by registering on the lexus drivers website. You'll see all the service records (If serviced at Lexus or Toyota) and you should get the below notification about the recall.

SAFETY RECALLS

Title
Safety Recall HLE - Remedy Notice 2010 Model Year HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Replacement
Status
Remedy Available
Description
A manufacturing issue in an electric motor in the involved vehicle's hybrid drivetrain may cause components to wear, leading to a potential short circuit. This condition will illuminate warning lights and warning messages.
Remedy
Any Lexus dealer will replace the hybrid vehicle transaxle with a new one at no cost to customers.
Recall Date
October 04, 2017
Originally Posted by atnj
New to the CL and a one week old owner of a used 201 HS 250h. Trying to get as much info as I could.
Originally Posted by atnj
I got this car from a Jeep dealer (original owner traded there). Now, where should I contact for this recall? Could it be the Dealer near me? Someone is similar situation?
TIA
The following users liked this post:
atnj (01-09-18)
Old 01-16-18, 06:13 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My transaxle replacement took 1 week to complete

I dropped my HS250h off at the dealer last Wednesday and just received it back today. I had a 2017 RX350 as a loaner for the week at no charge. The service rep told me that if I had paid for the replacement it would have cost $6880 parts and labor. There was no charge of course, and the reason for the long wait was that they damaged the steering angles sensor and had to locate a new replacement part. The car runs exactly the same as when I dropped it off, even the regenerative whining noise is still there when I roll to a stop or start from a stop. Oh well, when I trade it I can demand top dollar because of all the new parts replaced by manufacturer recalls. I have always been satisfied with the Lexus service though.
The following users liked this post:
Magellan55 (01-17-18)
Old 01-23-18, 04:54 PM
ark
Driver School Candidate

I contacted Lexus dealership in LA, CA. I dropped my HS250h is at the dealer yesterday. They said it takes about 1-2 days. I'll update the post here when I get my car back. Lexus Dealership gave me a loaner car with 100 miles limit/day. They said, if I pay it costs about 8300$ in total for replacement and labor charge which I don't need to pay anything. Will update once i get back my car from dealer
Old 01-24-18, 05:09 AM
Magellan55

got my call yesterday, scheduled it for next week. Said it would take 2 solid days; free loaner as usual. I'd rather not do such involved surgery on my car, but I want this car to last as a hand-me-down to my kids through school, so a fresh tranny's not a bad idea either.
Old 01-30-18, 04:31 PM
Magellan55

Well I dropped my baby off this morning and got an IS200T loaner. Gave thought to not doing this recall as I weighed living with it versus the chance of the shop screwing something up on the fix. Here's hoping I'm not the first trans-axle replacement for my dealer...
Old 01-31-18, 10:00 AM
liweil
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My local dealer (Putnam Lexus) called to schedule an appointment 2 weeks ago and I dropped my HS off Wednesday a week ago. When I was there, I saw a couple of HS being serviced. It took them four solid days to get the work done. At the same time, I got a 2018 NX300t hybrid loaner. What a nice car with many advanced options.

I also mentioned the letter I got regarding the head lamp. They will order a new assembly with ETA 3 weeks then schedule me in to get it replaced.

It's always a great experience bringing my car to this dealership.
Old 01-31-18, 05:44 PM
Magellan55

OK, all good news so far. Got a call this morning 7:45 that the techs worked late last night and got her done in a day! Picked her up on my way to work, and so far, can't tell anything is different. Maybe a bit more sensitive to the throttle when kicking in the engine from all-electric. Otherwise seems solid, and they detailed it inside and out. But they didn't fill the gas tank, which they used to do for recalls. Still, I do enjoy this dealership.

I had a 2018 IS200T F-sport for a loaner. Not impressed. Maybe I'm just getting too used to the smooth operation of a hybrid, but I could feel every shift, even when I was just maintaining speed and hitting a hill. Yeah it did have more oomph when flooring it, just not very refined. It did have the LFA/LC-500 type single dial movable binnacle which was neat; I'm surprised Lexus is putting it on such a low end car. I wonder how the owners of those 6 figure cars feel about it.

It did make me think my next car will be full electric. I'm just so over all the clunking and noises associated with an old fashioned engine and tranny! Just wish Lexus would announce one.

Quick Reply: Safety Recall HLE (H2E) 2010 HS 250h Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Replacement