HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

New Engine Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 02:25 PM
zeninfinit
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Engine Install

In short, my engine, which is at 165,000 miles, is burning oil. About a quart every 1000 miles! I'm at about 30 miles per gallon. I know about the piston problem, but I was too late, my dealer wouldn't cover it.

Does anyone have experience installing a new engine? Anything I should know about before going for it?

I definitely don't want at 2010 engine because of the piston problem! How can I tell when the engine is made? I am looking on ebay, there are many to choose from. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Lexus%20HS250h

Please any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by zeninfinit; 08-29-17 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-31-17, 05:16 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

I would never replace a motor just because it burns a quart every 1,000 miles. You should wait to when it gets to 500 miles. In the old days 1000 miles a quart was normal! If it runs fine, save your money and drive it.

I think installation on the hybrid may be a bit more involved than a standard vehicle. I would contact a reputable seller such as http://rancholexusrecycling.com/ as you want to be sure to get the correct motor. This same motor was used in the Camry hybrid for a few years, but rancho has access to a proprietary parts database that tells what parts fit what other vehicles. I see you are in CA, so maybe they can help you also find an installer. Do you really plan to install it yourself?
Old 08-31-17, 05:59 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

A quart every 1k is still deemed "acceptable" by some brands, I know it as for inifiniti on the 4.1 V8 in the Ms and Qs just a few years ago. I too would probably wait if everything else on the car is fine
Old 09-01-17, 01:08 PM
zeninfinit
Rookie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies! Well, the quart every 1000 miles test is the one the dealer will give you if you want to have them install a new engine for problematic valves (edit pistons). I was just over the 150,000 limit when I brought my car in and decided to do the test on my own.

I got the car with 55,000 miles on it. It burned a little oil, maybe a quart every 5000. I've got 165,000 on it now and it's getting worse. I'll drive it as long as I can. But eventually, I will have to smog the car.

I called the yard in Rancho, thank you. They told me it's about an 8 hour job at a shop and then they referred me to a shop where I live in Santa Rosa! I am waiting for a call back to get a price.

The yard in Rancho has an engine with 60,000 miles on it... but it's a 2010. Does anyone know if the 2011 and 2012 engines have the same valve (edit piston) problem as the 2010? I'm thinking I need a 2011 or 2012 engine. Or is there some other way I can know I don't have a faulty 2010 motor? Serial numbers?

Thanks again!

Last edited by zeninfinit; 09-25-17 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Not "valves" it's a piston problem.
Old 09-01-17, 03:03 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

While I can understand you not wanting to take a chance on an engine that had a TSB against it, I don't think the issue is widespread. I just checked the oil level in my 2010 (108k miles) that was last changed about 6k ago, and it's still nearly full. And I don't recall that many other 2010 owners on here complaining about oil burning.

I'm wondering if you got a mis-treated car? Do you know if the original owner ever changed the oil? Also, maybe it's premature for a Toyota/Lexus, but burning a quart per thousand at 165k miles isn't all that uncommon. I'm not familiar with CA's smog laws, but I'm wondering if they have exemptions for high mileage cars. And it passed smog last year, so maybe see if it passes this year before worrying about replacing the engine? Just seems like a major investment for such a minor annoyance. Though eventually it could clog up your cat, and then you're out more $$.
Old 09-01-17, 03:16 PM
zeninfinit
Rookie

I totally hear you! Trust me, I am in no hurry to put in a new engine in. I am just, A) Trying to see if anyone else has gone through this. Looks like it's not a common thing. B) Trying to assess what it will take to make this happen.

The car was ok until about 130,000 miles and then it just started burning more and more oil. I'm down to about 30 miles per gallon and use to average about 37.

I probably won't have to smog for another 2 years. Hoping my engine will last till then. I'm just going to keep track of the oil consumption. If and when it starts getting worse. I'll make the decision then.
Old 09-01-17, 10:33 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

You could try directly contacting Lexus/Toyota Motor Corp and explain them your situation. They may give a you partial reimbursement toward an engine TSB. Also, if you have to pay for a complete engine replacement/rebuild, at 165,000 miles, you are better off simply adding oil to your engine and continue driving. While Toyota/Lexus make excellent vehicles, keep in mind that your vehicle might need more expensive repairs further down the line.
The following users liked this post:
zeninfinit (09-08-17)
Old 09-08-17, 02:37 PM
zeninfinit
Rookie

Thank you 850R! I just got off the phone with Lexus and they gave me a case number. That was great advice.

The thing is, I was at the dealership when I was just below 150,000 miles and had some recall work done. No one mentioned the oil consumption "added warranty" and nor did I ever get notified in the mail. I found out about it here, on this forum, when I was at about 160,000 miles.

So I called Lexus and they made an appointment for me at Freeman Lexus, my local dealer. I showed up at Freeman Lexus and basically, they blew me out! From the moment I met "Capp" he completely blew me off, with a smile of course. I was pretty perplexed. Corporate tells me to go to the dealership and makes an appointment for me. Only to have the dealer completely blow me off! I was pretty miffed. I'm a busy guy and it was a total waste of my time.

Capp went on to say that if they did decide to take me in. They would simply do an oil consumption test. He put me on the spot and said. "Does it burn a quart every 1000 miles? If it doesn't we aren't going to do anything for you. It's got to be at least a quart every 1000 miles." I was unsure and moreover wasn't in the mood to push back. This guy made it obvious from the get go that he wasn't going to lift a finger for me. Again, super odd because corporate made the appointment and they knew full well that I was at 160,000 miles. I mean, all we were talking about was a simple test. Top off the oil, drive around for 1000 miles, check the oil. Pretty simple, but they denied me that.

So when I called today I asked if the dealer would lose money if they put a new engine in. She said no. So why the run around? If corporate asked them to check out my car. Why did Freeman Lexus give me the runaround and deny me the test? To be honest, I'm not used to being treated so rudely. Capp did it all with a smile. But it just felt super passive aggressive.

Anyway, what was cool about the Lexus CS rep was that she let me choose another dealership to work with. I'll keep you all posted. And thank you again 850R. I very much appreciate your suggestion! Fingers crossed.

Last edited by zeninfinit; 09-08-17 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
850R (09-10-17)
Old 09-10-17, 01:36 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

I hope it goes better with another dealer. A friend with a 2007 RAV4 with the same engine and a worse oil burning issue was offered the test, but was also given somewhat of a run around with regard to timing etc. What they do is change your oil, then seal the oil filler cap and you return in 1000 miles. You have to hope the dealer did not overfill it during the oil change as that is a frequent practice if the tech is not really careful.
She traded it in on a newer 204 RAV4 Limited with lower mileage and a lot more features. You too should consider the trade in option before throwing in a new engine if you have to pay for it. Just do not tell them about the oil burning at trade in time.
Old 09-10-17, 07:16 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Zeninfinit, good to hear Lexus Corporate accommodated you. Please keep us informed on what the new dealership says. I personally know a service writer at my local Toyota Store and told him about your situation. He said, most likely they will fill you oil to the max mark, seal the cap and dipstick. You will then be instructed to drive 900 miles. Up on recheck, if the level is close to min or below, you will be getting an engine rebuild/replacement. If at any time you get an oil pressure light or other indications concerning the oil system, make an immediate appointment at the dealer for inspection/further troubleshooting. Finally, if you have issues concerning the new dealer, don't be afraid top contact Lexus Corporate. Once you gave a case number, the Lexus dealer must do the test and determine if the engine oil consumption if acceptable or not as many times as needed. So if your car passes the test, return after 3 months for a recheck.
Old 09-25-17, 12:20 PM
zeninfinit
Rookie

Decided to go with the same dealership Freeman Lexus in Santa Rosa, CA. It's 12:20pm and just had my appointment at 9 am got out in an hour. $93 for an oil change and they set up the test. The new service guy I got was super nice, liked him. Once the service was done he came out to tell me that the oil filter I used and the plug gasket was not up to spec and was leaking. If this is the problem, hallelujah! But I think not, I've seen no oil anywhere at home or my work. So I'm not so sure if it's the problem.

Then I remembered someone here saying to check to make sure if they overfill with oil. Just did and the oil goes about an 1/8" above the line! Had my work buddy come out an eye it himself, and he confirmed. I am now going to a 3rd party, Big-O tires and have them eye ball it.

My question is. How are they going to do the test? Surely they will use something other than the oil stick to take the measurement? Or is that the only means?

I'm going to duck out to go to Big-O now. I'll be back to confirm or not confirm if it's overfilled. Ugh!
Old 09-25-17, 01:36 PM
zeninfinit
Rookie

My invoice from this morning. Not sure why they have my license plate wrong?
A couple of hours later, wanted to confirm what I saw. I ball parked the mileage and told it to the Big-O guy verbally. As you can see, they estimate it to have 1/4 quart to 1/5 of a quart too much oil! From the dealership? How can this be?

I guess I should call the dealer and tell them? Ugh, I hate confrontation. I just want to get to the truth of the matter. Why the runaround and deceptive practices?

Any advice on how I should handle this? Call corporate?

Last edited by zeninfinit; 09-25-17 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 02:32 PM
zeninfinit
Rookie

Just got off the phone with Lexus corporate. They started a new case number and I'll be contacted by them in 2 days. I feel like I'm dealing with a bipolar company. When I call corporate, everyone is super professional and accommodating. When I go to the dealership, Freeman Lexus I feel like I have to be on guard and watch my back. Things are not as they appear or as they say.

Anyway, I don't want to read too much into this. I was worried about too much oil ruining my car somehow, but everything I've read doesn't call for alarm. Just super disappointed that I can't get a fair shake.

Needless to say, I don't want to ever deal with Freeman Lexus again.
Old 09-27-17, 11:04 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Zeninfinit, remember every car dealership is an independent franchise that pays a royalty to sell/service Lexus vehicles. In many ways it is like buying burger at McDonalds or Wendy's. That being said, corporate will take care of you. Your issue is just another example of why, on occasion, a bad dealer can loose franchise if corporate wishes.
Old 09-28-17, 07:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

overfilled by 1/4 quart is hardly anything

Quick Reply: New Engine Install