Is it worth buying 2010 Hs250h model

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 10:19 PM
bharakm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is it worth buying 2010 Hs250h model

Hi All,
Am new to this thread. I am planning to buy a car and came through Lexus car 2010 HS 250h 45000 mileage for 16k$. Am confused if that's a good deal or not.
Can someone please shed some light and help in deciding if that's worth and for how much I can sell it for may be after 3 years. Anyone have exp with this model ?

Thanks in Advance for your suggestions.
Old 07-11-17, 08:07 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Price it out at some of the used car sites such as kbb or edmunds. That is low mileage so I would get it if the Carfax is clean and the price proves to be competitive. We love our 2011 and it just hit 60,000 miles. It is hard to predict depreciation, but it typically slows down after so many years and Toyota/Lexus cars hold their value.
With any used car, prior history and maintenance are key. How are the tires? Do you know if the oil was changed? How many owners? Any accidents? What trim level is it? Does it have Navigation? Who is selling it? A dealer will command a higher price as they usually have warranties and only keep better cars. A private seller will get less money.
Old 07-11-17, 12:01 PM
bharakm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Price it out at some of the used car sites such as kbb or edmunds. That is low mileage so I would get it if the Carfax is clean and the price proves to be competitive. We love our 2011 and it just hit 60,000 miles. It is hard to predict depreciation, but it typically slows down after so many years and Toyota/Lexus cars hold their value.
With any used car, prior history and maintenance are key. How are the tires? Do you know if the oil was changed? How many owners? Any accidents? What trim level is it? Does it have Navigation? Who is selling it? A dealer will command a higher price as they usually have warranties and only keep better cars. A private seller will get less money.
Thanks for the reply, I didn't get a chance to check tires or oil. Single owner, no accidents, it has Navigation , Certified.
Old 07-11-17, 03:52 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Just want to add that my 2010 Premium non-nav has been great to own, and just hit 105,000 miles. Waxed it this weekend and looks brand new :-) HS250's depreciated rapidly after they stopped selling it, but I think that effect will wear off as the cars age further. It's not like Lexus is going away (ala Saab, Saturn), the HS is still sold in Japan so plenty of parts, and it also shares drive train with the last gen Camry Hybrid. Only thing I've done is oil/tire/wiper blade changes, and had a bad O2 sensor replaced. Still on the original brake pads and batteries.

I haven't done the research, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better overall value (luxury, ride, reliability, etc) for $16K on any car with only 45k miles on it.
Old 07-13-17, 05:50 AM
Clutchless

If it is certified you should go ahead and get it!
Old 08-18-17, 05:54 PM
Magellan55

Started shopping for my next car, so I did a quick value check of my HS250 on kbb.com and cars.com. Yikes! only $8-10K. That's with 108k miles, premium but no nav. What else is selling around me for that price/year/miles? Honda Civics. How can a Civic possibly be equivalent value to the same vintage HS250?

I'm really tempted to just park it for 4 years (yes, drive it occasionally) for my 12 year old twins to drive in high school. No way I'd be able to give them an equivalent car for the same money. Someone will be getting a steal with this car, so it might as well be my kids :-)
Old 08-19-17, 05:47 AM
Clutchless

I would research how such storage may affect the life of the hybrid battery pack. You do not want to be stuck with having to purchase a replacement hybrid battery for over $1,0000 and that is from an independent source that could possibly identify and replace the bad cells. A dealer would charge much more for a complete new battery. Maybe check the www.priuschat.com forum for such information. Let us know what you learn. Thanks.
Okay, I may have answered my own question as I did a quick search:

https://priuschat.com/threads/long-term-prius-storage-6-12-months.43860/

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/105-camry-hybrid/411487-hybrid-long-term-storage.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-19-17 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-20-17, 08:30 AM
Magellan55

Thanks Clutchless, good info. I probably used a bad choice of wording - not storing it so much as just driving it much less (like 2-4 times a month). Our son's Civic sat in our driveway for several years while he was off to college, but it never went more than 2 weeks without at least being driven around the block. I'm a bit **** about not wanting seals to dry out, flat spots on tires, etc.

My other option is to keep it as my semi-daily driver and get a 2 seater "nice weather" toy instead :-) It will still reduce the mileage on the HS, and I get to have a funmobile without the guilt of never being able to ferry my kids to practice / etc. And once they are driving themselves, the 2 seater becomes my daily driver :-). Wife has a Highlander for family trips, and I've cleared out our 3rd garage bay of wagons, scooters, etc now that the kids have outgrown them. So now I just need to fill it with something!
Old 10-09-17, 05:18 PM
sewwht2
Driver School Candidate

I haven't done the research to fully answer your question bharakm, but it sounds like a great deal to me. I'll tell you this story. My boyfriend's 19 year old just spent months researching her first car. She ultimately decided on a 2011 Volkswagen Passat, fully loaded (leather seats, premium sound package, navigation, back up camera, etc...). It has close to 75,000, tires are very used, no idea when the last oil change or repairs were since she didn't get it from a reputable dealer. She also wasn't very experienced or informed and ended up driving off the lot, without thoroughly checking it, because later that night, we noticed the headlights were burnt out. Shame on that "dealership." Lesson learned. They paid just under $13,000, and it has been giving her nothing but problems, that are not covered under any warranty, out of pocket repairs. Personally I think it wasn't that great of a deal, but what does Dad's girlfriend know? :-) I agree with Clutchless. If it's a certified car, grab it! I've only bought certified cars and haven't been steered wrong. It will be covered for 3 years, so if anything happens, Lexus will fix it without any hassle. And they will provide you with a loaner, if you call in advance, so you won't be inconvenienced. So for 3 years you would have piece of mind. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-11-17, 06:26 PM
ericdotcom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Just want to add that my 2010 Premium non-nav has been great to own, and just hit 105,000 miles. Waxed it this weekend and looks brand new :-) HS250's depreciated rapidly after they stopped selling it, but I think that effect will wear off as the cars age further. It's not like Lexus is going away (ala Saab, Saturn), the HS is still sold in Japan so plenty of parts, and it also shares drive train with the last gen Camry Hybrid. Only thing I've done is oil/tire/wiper blade changes, and had a bad O2 sensor replaced. Still on the original brake pads and batteries.

I haven't done the research, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better overall value (luxury, ride, reliability, etc) for $16K on any car with only 45k miles on it.

hey i do have a question, we just purchased a 2010 hs250 with nav but I'm still clueless about certain thing like the LKA or lane assist, or the driving modes which i think someone mentioned on this forum there are 3 driving modes ? and also, how do i know i have all those goodies and the multi cam ? where can i find out all the goodies that comes with my hs250 ? if you guys have time, your response will be greatly appreciated. thanks !
Old 10-11-17, 06:32 PM
Clutchless

It does not have lane keeping assist. The modes refer to econ, normal or power. The buttons for those are near the start button. The power button changes the throttle mapping and allows more battery power so the throttle is more responsive and it tightens up the electronic power steering a bit. Econ makes the throttle less responsive so you drive slower and save more gas. Just try them out. I really like power mode, but I am a leadfoot driver....
Never hear of multi cam...
Old 10-13-17, 08:58 PM
ericdotcom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It does not have lane keeping assist. The modes refer to econ, normal or power. The buttons for those are near the start button. The power button changes the throttle mapping and allows more battery power so the throttle is more responsive and it tightens up the electronic power steering a bit. Econ makes the throttle less responsive so you drive slower and save more gas. Just try them out. I really like power mode, but I am a leadfoot driver....
Never hear of multi cam...
dude, this hs250 has a lot of gadgets. I'm loving it. my STI gadgets was pretty much the growling sound from my headers and pipes and my turbo and thats about it the inside of my STI is so tight and sometimes too tight. but this hs250 is roomy, full of gadgets, and best thing of them all they are sooooo quiet ! i tried the modes and yea they are cool to have. the multi cam that I've heard not only you have the backup camera but also front view camera. is it true ? or maybe its the same camera that can be used for both and i just didnt know it ?
Old 10-14-17, 04:43 PM
Magellan55

The front wide-angle camera comes with the nav package I think. Yeah it's pretty cool as it lets you see cross traffic before poking your nose out on a blind intersection or say when you're parked between two SUV's.